6 Hr Workday Over

MI2AZ

Think happier, healthier lives are worth any amount of money? The Swedes aren't so sure. Two years after adopting a six-hour workday, the Swedish city of Gothenburg says it will end the experiment over cost concerns, though it appeared to make workers happier and more productive. Indeed, in the first 18 months, 68 nurses at a Gothenburg care home for seniors with dementia who switched from eight- to six-hour workdays but kept the same salary reported feeling more fulfilled, less tired, and took 6% fewer sick days than nurses working 40 hours per week at a hospital, reports Inverse. Patients also reported improved care, while social activities at the facility increased by 80%.

But all that came at a cost, reports Bloomberg: Gothenburg had to pay $1.3 million to hire 17 additional staff to fill out the workday. Instead of teams of four working eight-hour shifts together, teams of five were scheduled in overlapping shifts. And the expense wasn't worth the benefit. "I personally believe in shorter working hours as a long-term solution" but "it's far too expensive to carry out a general shortening of working hours within a reasonable time frame," says a local politician. He adds officials are "looking for other areas in which we can make work-time innovations, even if those aren't transitions to six-hour work days," though six-hour workday experiments are still taking place in other parts of the country, per Business Insider.

Djarum300

Addicted Member
Interesting article. I think it's job specific. Call center? It will never work. I think it would be a plus in the medical and engineering field. I had a stressful 50 hour work week and I'm down to 40, and I'm much more proficient and happier.

Robadat

I'm wondering how much happier those workers would have been had their pay been cut along with their hours working...
Hell, if I got paid for 40 hours while only working 30, I'd be happier too. That's equivalent to a 33% hourly pay increase.

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
My son and my daughter-in-law have been working 4 10 hour days for a couple of years now and love it.

Robadat

A nurse friend of mine has been working 3 12hr days a week for a number of years. Loves the four days off, not so much the 12 hour shifts. But overall prefers the 3 day workweek set up, she gets much more done on those extra two days off every week.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
I wish employers would embrace telecommuting. There's nothing I do at my job that I can't do from home with an internet connection. Such a waste of resources... put up a big building, fill it with furniture, heat/cool it. Force people en masse to take to the roads every day.

Try to imagine how it would be if you took all office workers off the road 5 days a week. Shrink those buildings down to a few meeting rooms for when you just have to meet and review something in person.

And finally, evaluate an employee on their impact to the company and not just "do they sit in a chair and look busy for 8 hours a day?"

Robadat

I wish employers would embrace telecommuting. There's nothing I do at my job that I can't do from home with an internet connection. Such a waste of resources... put up a big building, fill it with furniture, heat/cool it. Force people en masse to take to the roads every day.

Try to imagine how it would be if you took all office workers off the road 5 days a week. Shrink those buildings down to a few meeting rooms for when you just have to meet and review something in person.

And finally, evaluate an employee on their impact to the company and not just "do they sit in a chair and look busy for 8 hours a day?"
Sounds like a good plan, but I have to wonder if it is so beneficial to businesses why aren't they doing more of it?

Djarum300

Addicted Member
Tornadogirl started working from home a few months ago. She works for a call center and they can easily monitor her work.

I'm a software engineer and 80 percent of my work could be done from home but companies want to look over employees shoulders.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Sounds like a good plan, but I have to wonder if it is so beneficial to businesses why aren't they doing more of it?
That's a good question. My theory is they have no idea how to quantify an employee's value to the company if they don't have a manager looking over their shoulder for the 9 to 5 shift to make sure they're doing something - anything. There is still this lingering thought process - even for salaried employees - that the company is paying you for 40 hours work. They don't look at it as an overall fiscal value to the company, but a value per hour. I'm sure it's harder in some cases to figure out a $ value for efficiencies gained or crisis averted are attributable to the job.

Plus, I think it's a control thing.