After 11 in a row, a 298 game with an unusual final-ball leave

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
Having written bowling articles for more than 35 years, I've reported on a number of bowlers who had the first 11 strikes, only to fall shy on the final ball. But when I checked with Charles Fletcher to see what pins he left on the final ball of his 298 game at AMF Bradenton Lanes a few days ago, his reply (via Facebook message) ...

Embarrassingly enough I left the 1-5.

I've heard of all sorts of final-ball leaves after 11 in a row -- including some as a result of two area bowlers (Kent Wagner and Mike Aleshire) attempting to roll every score from 290 to 300 -- but I've never heard of a 298 with a 1-5 leave.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
I've seen the video of his final shot. He's a lefty and he missed so far left that he barely hit the 2-pin on the extreme left. He was so disgusted with his shot, when he let it go, that he turned around and didn't even watch the result.

S

SAM LASHLEE

did anyone else see the recent 297 where the final shot was a pocket 5, 7, 10?

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
I'd rather not even have the front 11 if I knew I'd screw it up like that! Although, nobody notices anymore, so it's not like the old days when everyone in town stops to witness the last 3.

I think if I were a team-mate, I'd be bringing them a new skirt to league the following week as a gift. Maybe throw in some pink panties too! :Roflmao:

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
I had a teammate (George Danson) in the 1986 state tournament that drilled the first 11 in a row but finished with 294 ... with a ball that barely touched the 4-pin on the left, and the ball took out the 7-pin with the 4-pin falling into the 8 and 9. His explanation: "During the delivery, my knees and legs just turned to jelly." [George usually averaged in the 180s, and he said he had never started with more than nine in a row before.]

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
BACK IN THE EARLY TO MID 70'S, A YOUNG BO BOWDEN AND MYSELF SUBBED IN A CHURCH LEAGUE IN A LOCAL CENTER. WASNT REALLY OUR CROWD, BUT WE GOT TO BOWL. LAST GAME BO HAS FRONT 11, 295. BALL FELL OFF HIS HAND IN HIS DOWN SWING. GREEK CHURCH. NOW THAT WAS FUNNY.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
BACK IN THE EARLY TO MID 70'S, A YOUNG BO BOWDEN AND MYSELF SUBBED IN A CHURCH LEAGUE IN A LOCAL CENTER. WASNT REALLY OUR CROWD, BUT WE GOT TO BOWL. LAST GAME BO HAS FRONT 11, 295. BALL FELL OFF HIS HAND IN HIS DOWN SWING. GREEK CHURCH. NOW THAT WAS FUNNY.
Dear WAMO:

At least, Bo hit the headpin. My teammate didn't hit the 1, 2 or 3 pins, and he barely hit the 4-pin on the left side as a righthanded bowler.

Friend of mine bowled a tournament once where another participant shot a 297 game.

He had the front 11, then left the 5-7-10 on the fill ball.......:eek: