Another interesting editorial

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
I see where the author is coming from, but not sure I agree in regards to Michelle Carter's involvement. Manipulating others who are vulnerable due to mental disorders is not OK. And that's how I see that case.

That said, I guess we should play the "what if" game. What if Greg and I are out target shooting, and Greg puts the gun to his head and tells me he's going to kill himself - and I respond with "Sure, kill youself. What do I care?" Now let's say Greg has second thoughts about it and puts the gun down - and I respond by taunting him "Chickening out? You don't have the balls to kill youself! Get that gun back to your head and pull the fucking trigger, pussy!"

Or what if we're driving around and Greg says he's thinking about shooting someone at random for the hell of it, but when he has second thoughts I taunt him until he shoots an innocent person? Am I partly responsible for that action?

IMO, I think yes in both instances.

Djarum300

Addicted Member
Fundamentally, people need to take responsibility for their own actions. If I con you into giving me 10 dollars, should that be illegal? Immoral, sure. If no contract was made and no promises made by me?

I see all this social media bullying and I ask where are the parents. I was bullied from kindergarten up to 8th grade. I got depressed at times but my parents taught me how to control the situation.

I just can't blame other than the person who kills themselves. Do they have mental illness? Yes. They have to willingly seek professional help or be ordered by parents or the justice system to get that help.

It's just as easy an argument to blame all of society for someone's suicide.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Just saying mean things, or even suggesting suicide in general, I agree with you. It's the direct involvement immediately leading up to the critical event that make the difference to me.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
FROM THE THINGS I HAVE WITNESSED OVER MY LIFE, MOST OF THE TIME A BULLIED PERSON IS WEAK MINDED. IS THAT A MENTAL DISORDER OR JUST LACK OF CONFIDENCE? I CANT IMAGINE HOLDING A GUN TO MY HEAD WITH THE INTENT OF KILLING MYSELF. I AINT MADE THAT WAY. BUT I HAVE NEVER BEEN PUT IN A SITUATION WHERE I WAS BULLIED BEYOND COMMON SENSE. NOW IF I FIND OUT 9 MESSED WITH MY WOMAN, IMOGEN, HE BETTER RUN FOR THE HILLS!

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
If nothing else, in the Michelle Carter case, wouldn't something along the lines of "failure to render aid" apply at the minimum? Via phone/text, she was basically at the scene at a time where she could have affected the outcome had she taken reasonable steps to try and help him.

I liken it to coming across an unresponsive person laying in a ditch: if I start cpr trying to save him and he still dies, at least I tried to do the right thing and would not be charged with any crime. But if I find an unreaponsive person laying in a ditch and stab a knife into his chest...

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
AT THE POINT THAT A GRAND JURY SAYS YES SHE IS GUILTY, IT WILL BECOME PRECEDENT. FOR NOW, THERE MAY NOT BE ANYTHING TO JUDGE IT FROM.
BUT FOLLOW YOUR THOUGHT PROCESS ANOTHER WAY. IF YOU ASKED YOUR AB FREINDS IF SCREWING SHEEP IS OK, AND WE ALL SAID NO IT ISNT AND YOU SHOULD KILL YOURSELF, AND YOU DO, ARE WE GUILTY OF SOMETHING? I KNOW THAT IS NOT THE SCENARIO ABOVE, BUT WHERE WOULD THE LINE BE DRAWN?