Been a rough couple of months...

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Was asked where I've been, and honestly the last couple months have been a bit rough. 1st, found out the wife has breast cancer. It was caught real early, so she should be fine. She has surgery next week to remove the cancer via lumpectomy, then a month of radiation and 10 years of taking a pill for hormone therapy (supposed to block the breast tissue from absorbing the hormones cancer was feeding on, or something like that). Fortunately, it is a really small spot and tests have shown chemo won't be necassary. So that was a helluva shock and we have been mostly waiting on test results to see how to best treat the condition and speculating what to do if various situations come up. So it looks like we've been lucky with this one. Her insurance will cover it all (she just had another unrelated procedure done in January, so max out of pocket has been met for this year). I hope this is all, poor girl needs a break - she's been through a lot.

In the middle of all this, I was furloughed from work. They talk like they plan to bring us back, but no definite timeframe. Fortunately we're set financially to ride this out for a while (even without unemployment) but I should get that first check this week. So again, it sucks but we're in a lot better position than most. It's still stressful as hell though - the not knowing is the biggest challenge. The wife and I like to plan for things and know what's going on when and cover our bases, so to speak. Hard to do when nobody knows what may or may not be in the coming weeks / months. Fortunately her job hasn't had any layoffs, but she's in oil/gas and that industry is in a tough spot right now. Just hoping the projects don't totally dry up this summer/fall, but damn... it's not looking good as a whole right now, so keeping fingers crossed.

One bright spot, our neighbors have a huge travel trailer and have invited us on a couple of weekend camping trips. We don't float the rivers, but prefer to take lawn chairs in the shallows and sit where it comes up just over legs. Sitting in the water soaking up sun and drinking some beers helps ease the stress. Thank God for Texas and a governor that hasn't gone total Nazi on everything! While the camps we were at are private and limited capacity/services sue to covid, we are so thankful we were able to get out and relax. It has really helped. After an afternoon in the river we check the smoker and feast on ribs or brisket. A few times we've brought wine and had a small group 'tasting' after dinner which the girls have really enjoyed. In fact, we just got back from camping this evening. Never underestimate the importance if good neighbors and friends!

But yeah, the last couple of months have been stressful at times and awesome/memorable at others. Been a bit of a roller coaster, but I know we're not alone - and again weknow we still have it a lot better than others so every day we give thanks for that.

Anyway, finally got to a place where I felt like sharing. I find this kind if thing is harder to share when there's nothing but uncertainty, but now we have an idea what we're up against... I'm positive we'll come through OK. It's not guaranteed, nothing in life us, but all signs are pointing more in the right direction than not. :)

Djarum300

Addicted Member
Really sorry to hear about your wife and job. Hopefully you'll get some back pay on the unemployment front. TornadoGirls mother has breast cancer and been cancer free but a host of other health concerns. Shes obviously concerned as genetics are at play. I wish you allow the best.

Just curious, what sort of work are you in?

I love brisket but won't cook it. It's too much just for us. However, no one in Huntsville can touch my baby back ribs in our area. No one does them right IMHO. I also smoke wings and then fry them. Just a few weeks ago I smoked some thick pork shoulder steaks ( just thick sliced pork shoulder) and it was miles better than what passes for pulled pork around here.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT MRS 9. I KNOW IT WAS TOUGH, BUT THANKS FOR SHARING WITH US. WE ARE ALL FRIENDS IN HERE AND PULLING FOR YOU BOTH. SOUNDS LIKE YA'LL HAVE A GOOD GAME PLAN IN PLACE. KEEP US POSTED IF YOU DONT MIND SHARING.

NOW, FOR THE IMPORTANT STUFF. HOW ARE THE SHEEP!? :Biggrin::Whistling:

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Really sorry to hear about your wife and job. Hopefully you'll get some back pay on the unemployment front. TornadoGirls mother has breast cancer and been cancer free but a host of other health concerns. Shes obviously concerned as genetics are at play. I wish you allow the best.

Just curious, what sort of work are you in?

I love brisket but won't cook it. It's too much just for us. However, no one in Huntsville can touch my baby back ribs in our area. No one does them right IMHO. I also smoke wings and then fry them. Just a few weeks ago I smoked some thick pork shoulder steaks ( just thick sliced pork shoulder) and it was miles better than what passes for pulled pork around here.
Unemployment is supposed to cover back to the first week I wasn't working. Just taking them forever to verify/approve the benefit due to the massive caseload. I'm an analyst in Inventory Control - corporate side for a sports/outdoors retailer, so we've been beat up a bit. Could be worse, we've been able to stay open in most markets due to our camping/cooking gear and guns/ammunition, but most places at certain points have restricted what we can sell - so stuff like footwear/apparel and sports gear have been hit hard with little/no sales. Also, have had restrictions in service - often curbside only, or restricted # of shoppers allowed in stores that were able to open. It's just been a helluva mess. It seems like dang near every town has had a different variation of the rules - feel sorry for the folks in store operations who have to figure out and guide our management members of all the different rules/guidelines for each store - not to mention the people on the floor facing ever-changing procedures - if they're lucky enough to still be working and not furloughed.

As for the smoker, I'm still learning brisket. My last one turned out pretty decent. Like you, baby backs are what I do best! Mine are more KC style - with a light coating of bbq sauce in the last hour. IMO ribs are easy to do reasonably well, but for some reason a lot of people mess them up. My pulled pork is really good, but I gotta work a bit more to make it awesome. The best thing about cooking low and slow is that even the bad batches are usually edible and not all that bad - even if the "pit master" is being overly picky and disappointed in the result. ;)

Djarum300

Addicted Member
Unemployment is supposed to cover back to the first week I wasn't working. Just taking them forever to verify/approve the benefit due to the massive caseload. I'm an analyst in Inventory Control - corporate side for a sports/outdoors retailer, so we've been beat up a bit. Could be worse, we've been able to stay open in most markets due to our camping/cooking gear and guns/ammunition, but most places at certain points have restricted what we can sell - so stuff like footwear/apparel and sports gear have been hit hard with little/no sales. Also, have had restrictions in service - often curbside only, or restricted # of shoppers allowed in stores that were able to open. It's just been a helluva mess. It seems like dang near every town has had a different variation of the rules - feel sorry for the folks in store operations who have to figure out and guide our management members of all the different rules/guidelines for each store - not to mention the people on the floor facing ever-changing procedures - if they're lucky enough to still be working and not furloughed.

As for the smoker, I'm still learning brisket. My last one turned out pretty decent. Like you, baby backs are what I do best! Mine are more KC style - with a light coating of bbq sauce in the last hour. IMO ribs are easy to do reasonably well, but for some reason a lot of people mess them up. My pulled pork is really good, but I gotta work a bit more to make it awesome. The best thing about cooking low and slow is that even the bad batches are usually edible and not all that bad - even if the "pit master" is being overly picky and disappointed in the result. ;)
IMHO wood makes all the difference for ribs. I've had the best luck with a mix of hickory and apple wood. I use a memphis style rub with a light coating of sauce.

Pulled Pork for me is just meh. Smoke isn't going to penetrate a pork shoulder and is why I turned to the thick cut shoulder steaks. I don't have the patience for brisket either.

Djarum300

Addicted Member
9~,

I think I just realized where you work. Alabama lifted lockdown last week on most retailers. I went into our local "outdoor retailer" for who I think you work for and picked up 3 shirts on Friday.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
Dear 9andaWiggle:

I fully sympathize with your ongoing difficulties, and hope everything turns for the better, sooner rather than later! Sincere best wishes, and may God bless you and your wife!

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
That's where I went.

DICKS finally opened up but they've been too pricey IMHO.
:Thumbsup: Even before I worked here, I've never cared for Dick's. They do seem a bit pricier, but something else about their stores just doesn't motivate me to buy from them.

However, I admit that any time I go into Bass Pro I want to buy the whole damn store! lol Maybe it's because I grew up with Bass Pro? They (being their first store/headquarters) were only 45 mins from my hometown, and Dad and I would run over there once or twice a year to look around. Also ordered from their catalogs back way before the internet.

Djarum300

Addicted Member
Well dicks doesn't sell my size in clothes. I do get shoes from them occasionally. (Big and fatty)

Cabela's came here a few years ago and got baught by bass pro and I'm not sure the changes have been good for the one here.

sevenpin63

Addicted Member
Damn 9 sorry to hear about you wife and your employment, hears hoping the rest of the year flips from the start of this year.
Keep your chin up we are all praying or rooting for you and your wife, best of luck.

If worse comes to worse you can always sell some sheep to WAMO, I'm sure he will interested. After all he cant travel to England for a while.:Oo:

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
YEAH DJ. I CANT FIND 3XL IN THE TANK TOPS I LIKE AT EITHER, NIKE. I HAVE TO ORDER ONLINE.

Djarum300

Addicted Member
What I find funny is Dicks a while back started their DSG brand shirts and shorts, but they are almost as pricey as the name brand stuff.