Carry Down

sevenpin63

Addicted Member
Ok, one of my leagues is on wood lanes, and I am fighting some serious carry down. The first game the lanes are flying, hooking a ton, I swing the lane. Then all of a sudden at the end of the first game, or the begining of the second game I lose my hook spot. I go from throwing one of my weakest balls to one of my strongest. And I almost have to go straight up second or first arrow. Maybe I need a solid ball? I don't know as I normally don't throw one.
I go from a AMF Code, to a 900 Global Dream which is a srong ball. And no I am not brand loyal, I throw all brands, what ever works.

I have bowled on carry down before but this is really extream, never have I seen it this bad before.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robadat

This can't be...Lefties don't get carrydown... :p
I'd look for something with a solid cover on it. Ebo GB2 might be a good option.

Strider

Are you sure the ball isn't just burning up? A ball that's dead not much past the arrows looks an awful lot like a ball that never really hooks. Carrydown in the modern game is largely a myth. And even though he's joking, Robadat is right - with the reduced traffic, lefties are unlikely too see much ever. Wood lanes in particular can dry up in the heads fast. What happens when you take the same ball and move in like 4 and 2? On some of my leagues, if anyone else is close to my line we can burn up the heads in that spot in half a game.

sevenpin63

Addicted Member
I am pretty sure its not burning up, because it really gets bad when I bowl this one team who has a left hander who throws a rubber ball up the first arrow with no thumb. I'm not on the same line as him but down lane at the break point it just pukes instead of making the turn to the pocket. Some nights are worse than others, but it is worse when I have to deal with these guys throwing rubber and plastic balls.

sevenpin63

Addicted Member
Robadat said:
I'd look for something with a solid cover on it. Ebo GB2 might be a good option.
Haha funny guy.:p

To let you know I am on three teams 2 lefties, 3 lefties, and 2 lefties on each team. So I never have my side to myself. I think its just because of the wood lanes.

Robadat

Sevenpin 63 said:
Robadat said:
Haha funny guy.:p

To let you know I am on three teams 2 lefties, 3 lefties, and 2 lefties on each team. So I never have my side to myself. I think its just because of the wood lanes.
I got another lefty on my team on wood lanes, plays outside while I'm inside of her line, don't usually have carrydown problems with each other. Two weeks ago we played a team with two lefties and a back up ball righty playing the left side. The righties had problems making a track to play. Told them all welcome to my world. :) I shot 125 over average for the set. Swept 'em. :D I've been using my 6 year old Ebonite Playmaker, the pearl version of the GameBreaker...

born1

Can't hurt to throw something weaker just to make sure. Have to agree with everyone about the heads drying quick on wood lanes.

Robadat

Could very well be burning up. What surface is on the Code? Could be eating up the oil, many houses don't put as much oil on the left side as they do the right. Follow your rotation as the ball goes down the lane. Is it skidding thru the breakpoint or rolling out?

JLS

Sevenpin 63 said:
Ok, one of my leagues is on wood lanes, and I am fighting some serious carry down. The first game the lanes are flying, hooking a ton, I swing the lane. Then all of a sudden at the end of the first game, or the begining of the second game I lose my hook spot. I go from throwing one of my weakest balls to one of my strongest. And I almost have to go straight up second or first arrow. Maybe I need a solid ball? I don't know as I normally don't throw one.
I go from a AMF Code, to a 900 Global Dream which is a srong ball. And no I am not brand loyal, I throw all brands, what ever works.

I have bowled on carry down before but this is really extream, never have I seen it this bad before.
If the lanes are flying in game 1, then IMO, they may not be stripping the back ends before you bowl...They may be just
oiling...That may be why you feel you have carry down....You have tight backends...You need a snowplow...But if you get to dull a ball, it may roll up to early for you...You need a ball with some surface with a CARRYDOWN drilling...maybe a pin over ring with the MB on your VAL...
The only problem is...The ball will usually only work on a carrydown condition...

The house you bowl at still has wood lanes...I thought you were near Chicago...not Mayberry...oops...

sevenpin63

Addicted Member
Yes, we still have one with wood lanes, hear in Wheaton. It is the only one I know of around here.

Maybe you guys in or near the city in crook county may have a few......oops :p

James JLS said:
Sevenpin 63 said:

If the lanes are flying in game 1, then IMO, they may not be stripping the back ends before you bowl...They may be just
oiling...That may be why you feel you have carry down....You have tight backends...You need a snowplow...But if you get to dull a ball, it may roll up to early for you...You need a ball with some surface with a CARRYDOWN drilling...maybe a pin over ring with the MB on your VAL...
The only problem is...The ball will usually only work on a carrydown condition...

The house you bowl at still has wood lanes...I thought you were near Chicago...not Mayberry...oops...

JLS

Sevenpin...JLS left the Toxic waste dump known as Chicago on Oct. 10th, 1969...

Now lives in the FAR FAR WEST WEST subs...

The last house in the Dumb I bowled at was Gage Park....right before it burned down...

One has a better chance In Afgan or Iraq than the Dump...