Covid question for AW (or anyone else who may know)

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
A neighbor heard (from where I don't know) that a report came out where Florida has tested all (or a large portion) of homeless people for Covid -- and NONE of the homeless tested positive. Somehow they arrived at the conclusion of Covid is NOT being found in people who DO NOT get flu shots. But people who HAVE gotten flu shots ARE getting Covid.

Anyone else hear anything about this? I called out AW since this report/study supposedly took place in his state - figured he'd have heard about it if the locals were talking.

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
Opera singer Placido Domingo has tested positive for the corona virus. On a side note, he has an ED issue and has changed his name to Flacido Domingo.....

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
HADNT HEARD THAT ONE 9. BUT I HAVE A FEELING THERE ARE GOING TO BE ALOT OF STRANGE NEWS STORIES COMING OUT SOON.

Djarum300

Addicted Member
A neighbor heard (from where I don't know) that a report came out where Florida has tested all (or a large portion) of homeless people for Covid -- and NONE of the homeless tested positive. Somehow they arrived at the conclusion of Covid is NOT being found in people who DO NOT get flu shots. But people who HAVE gotten flu shots ARE getting Covid.

Anyone else hear anything about this? I called out AW since this report/study supposedly took place in his state - figured he'd have heard about it if the locals were talking.
My sister said they tested a large population of homeless in Duval county and only like 1 or 2 had it. Even here in North Alabama they tested about 300 in total homeless and only found 1 with it.

This makes sense that they wouldn't have it as it's unlikely that they'd necessarily be in contact with someone that has it.

I think high population density and being in enclosed spaces near someone infected is why places like NYC are having trouble with it spreading.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member

Dear 9andaWiggle:

I'm not aware of the report to which you refer, but I do have some insight as to the local situation here in the Sarasota area.

The homeless obviously have exacerbated hygiene-related problems (such as hand-washing availability) with such things as libraries, day shelters and the like shut down. And some of them live in encampments, often in close proximity to other people, being unable to follow social distancing guidelines.

In addition, some agencies that assist the homeless have been forced to ask their employees to begin working remotely, reducing face-to-face contact between case managers and homeless people seeking help. However, having said that ...

There has yet to be a reported case of a homeless person testing positive for COVID-19 in the Sarasota area.

Djarum300

Addicted Member
Dear 9andaWiggle:

I'm not aware of the report to which you refer, but I do have some insight as to the local situation here in the Sarasota area.

The homeless obviously have exacerbated hygiene-related problems (such as hand-washing availability) with such things as libraries, day shelters and the like shut down. And some of them live in encampments, often in close proximity to other people, being unable to follow social distancing guidelines.

In addition, some agencies that assist the homeless have been forced to ask their employees to begin working remotely, reducing face-to-face contact between case managers and homeless people seeking help. However, having said that ...

There has yet to be a reported case of a homeless person testing positive for COVID-19 in the Sarasota area.
It makes sense. People congregate with like people. As soon as 1 or two get it, it's likely it would spread throughout that population.

They aren't walking into places that would have high prevalance of the disease. Our CEO at the hospital was even stating that homeless people generally don't get the flu that much. But a few years back when a few shelter workers had the flu it ripped through the homeless community.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey

... but then again, perhaps none have tested positive because none have been tested!

YOU WOULD HAVE BEEN A GREAT WEATHER PERSON AW. "IT MIGHT RAIN, BUT IT MIGHT NOT"

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
YOU WOULD HAVE BEEN A GREAT WEATHER PERSON AW.
Dear WAMO:

You are absolutely correct. Although I never was a "weather person" -- at least occupation-wise -- I would and could have made a great radio or TV weatherman. I have a Facebook friend (David Karnes) who is a prominent TV weather personality in Chattanooga, Tenn., and a former TV weather anchor here in Sarasota, and he has stated that I'm "the greatest" hurricane forecaster he's ever known. In that regard, at least 3 days prior to landfall, I predicted THE EXACT location of landfall for hurricanes such as Wilma, Katrina, Charley, Rita and a number of others.

Take a look at this 1974 article about me (see link below), and you'll note the No. 3 item in the third paragraph (Forecasting the weather), along with a number of other things that I'm good at. I have dozens of Facebook friends who could tell you that I am, indeed, great at all six of the listed items, and more. Thanks for your post and giving me the opportunity to respond.

Djarum300

Addicted Member
Sort of OT but whatever.....

Alabama had its highest positive tests yesterday and everyone on social media is losing their minds because the state opened. What these idiots don't realize is that many of the cases have nothing to do with it. What it has to do with is certain communities ignoring social distancing and having parties and large get-togethers at homes. The high numbers are coming out of 3 specific counties and have been since before we opened back up.

Djarum300

Addicted Member

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
Damn AW you're a legend In your own mind.
Dear sevenpin53:

I'm also a "legend" of sorts to many others, including dozens of Facebook friends who were high-school classmates and still recall a fellow student (me) whom some of them called "Univac" (after the most-famous computer of the '50s). After all, how many people anywhere have memorized the complete logarithm tables in just three days to win a $50 bet from some of them?

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
IM AMAZED THERE WERE THAT MANY HIGH SCHOOL KIDS IN THE 50'S THAT HAD $50 TO LOSE!? SO YOU WERE ONE OF THEM POOR LITTLE RICH KIDS? I GUESS THE COMPUTER THING SHOULD HAVE BEEN A GIVE AWAY HUH.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
IM AMAZED THERE WERE THAT MANY HIGH SCHOOL KIDS IN THE 50'S THAT HAD $50 TO LOSE!? SO YOU WERE ONE OF THEM POOR LITTLE RICH KIDS? I GUESS THE COMPUTER THING SHOULD HAVE BEEN A GIVE AWAY HUH.
Dear WAMO:

Actually, five classmates chipped in $10 apiece to make it a $50 bet, and of course, had I not been able to do the memorization, I would have lost $50, but with my overall (and photographic) memory skills, I had no doubt as to the outcome of the wager.

And I was a whiz at handling the stastistics for the high-school baseball team, being able to quickly calculate all of the batting averages, earned run averages, etc., in my head (without using computers, or pencil and paper).

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
WOW. YOUR STATEMENT KINDA LEADS ONE TO BELIEVE THAT YOU WON $50 FROM SOME OF THEM, NOT $10ea FROM 5 OF THEM.. I WAS A BALL PLAYER IN HIGH SCHOOL. I WAS NOT A GENIUS BY ANY MEANS. BUT I COULD DO THE SAME WITH STATS. I COULD ALSO TELL YOU WHERE BOTH TEAMS HIT THE BALL AND WHO MADE EACH PUT OUT.