Djarums immigration thread

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Taken from the other thread for discussion. Djarum originally posted:

http://jackbaruth.com/?p=8990

An interesting take on immegration. I like his red vs blue analysis, however, I don't agree with with his solution.

How bout that? It won't be quiet for long.
It is sickening that rather than working towards an efficient system both sides would rather play the pawns (which happen to be real people) for their own personal/financial benefit.

That said, it is a complex issue unless you set aside all empathy and view it only in black and white. I have a neighbor whose daughter is married to a "dreamer". He was an infant when he was brought here, so the US is all he knows. He didn't ask to be here - he hasn't broken any laws (we can argue his parents did, but as a minor child I find it hard to argue he has done any wrong). He's filed for citizenship and is currently here legally, but does not yet have citizenship. He's a college grad, has a good job, and is someone that will benefit the US as a good citizen. He is, or will be if they're smart, an asset to our country. IMO people like him should be fast-tracked to having their citizenship approved.

As for the example in the article, the girl threatening classmates. This is a totally different person. She has willfully chosen to engage in criminal actions. People like her, whether a dreamer or not, should be well documented when they are caught committing a crime, so when they are deported it is with the caveat that 1) They will NEVER be allowed citizenship in the US, no ifs, ands, or buts - no second chances, and 2) The next time they're caught here illegally it is a life sentence in Guantanamo.

As for the 5 years of no immigration, I'm all for that. It will give us 5 years to put in place new citizenship guidelines. Where I disagree is the open lottery system. That's stupid. We have something very, very valuable; FREEDOM and OPPORTUNITY. To those born outside our borders, we should protect this valuable resource as we would any other, possibly more so. It is prudent to ensure those we offer this privilege to should respect it, earn it, cherish it, and be grateful/thankful for it once it is given. And in return they should be expected to be productive citizens who are an asset to the communities in which they live.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
THERE ARE ALWAYS VALID POINTS WHY SOME LAWS DONT WORK EVERY TIME. BUT THEY ARE STILL LAWS. UNTIL THE LAW CHANGES, NOONE STAYS. YOUR RIGHT ABOUT THAT YOUNG MAN BEING BROUGHT OVER BY ADULT PARENTS, NOT HIS FAULT. BUT HIS PARENTS KNEW THE CONSEQUENCES. AND 1 EXCEPTION IN EVERY 100,000 IS NOT VERY GOOD ODDS.
IF MEXICO WAS 1000 MILES AWAY WOULD WE BE HAVING THE SAME ISSUES WE ARE HAVING NOW?