Does anyone pay attention to high scores anymore?

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
For bowling column purposes, I'm attempting to find our what pin a local bowler (Gary Krowka) left on the final ball of his 299 game a few nights ago, and no one seems to know. Apparently, few pay much attention to high scores anymore.

I have two Facebook friends who bowled on the same pair with Krowka, and neither recall what pin he left, and likewise, I have four Facebook friends that bowled on an adjacent pair. Two of them haven't responded, but the other two don't recall, either.

I contacted the manager of the lanes, asking the following: Do you know (or are you able to find out) what pin Gary Krowka left in his 299 game in the Tuesday Men's League?

His first response was as follows: Hmmm, no, the front counter girl has no idea that anyone shot 299. John Pitzer left a 10 pin for 299 3 weeks ago.

So I sent him a copy of the league standings sheet, and he replied: She didn't get a request to announce it or hear about it. I would guess 6 or 7 pin for a lefty. I will see him Sunday morning.

Is a 299 game a "ho-hum" affair in today's high-scoring era?

Isn't the goal now a days to get all 10 of the 290-299 games? People might have stopped and watched if he said he was going for a 292.

It is terrible to state, but the perfect game has lost it's appeal. So many have seen it. And there a plenty of bowlers who have done it multiple times. I am not sure if anyone has eclipsed the 100 mark but I wouldn't be surprised.

I would say yes that a 299 game a "ho-hum" affair in today's high-scoring

Last edited:

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
THERE WAS A MAN HERE IN DALLAS, TAM WASSON (NOW DECEASED), WHO HAD OVER 100 300'S AND OVER 100 800'S SANCTIONED.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
By the time I stopped bowling, I didn't care about high scores anymore. Mainly because I could never throw one, but they were going up all around me every week. :(

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
Isn't the goal now a days to get all 10 of the 290-299 games? People might have stopped and watched if he said he was going for a 292.

It is terrible to state, but the perfect game has lost it's appeal. So many have seen it. And there a plenty of bowlers who have done it multiple times. I am not sure if anyone has eclipsed the 100 mark but I wouldn't be surprised.

I would say yes that a 299 game a "ho-hum" affair in today's high-scoring
Dear Trash Heap:

Two bowlers in my area (Kent Wagner and Mike Aleshire) have sought to roll every score between 290 and 300, and Wagner actually succeeded in doing so.

Indeed, the perfect game has lost its appeal, although some would argue that point. But there is no way that a 300 game is as special (or has as much "value") when they are so frequent nowadays as compared to bygone times. And there are a number of bowlers who have eclipsed the 100 mark in perfect games, and some have gone far past that number.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
THEY HAVNT BEEN THAT BIG A DEAL IN THESE PARTS FOR AWHILE. EXCEPT FOR SOMEONE'S FIRST. AND THE FACT THAT YOU ONLY GET 1 300 PER LIFETIME, AND NO 299 OR 298 NOW, HAS LEFT FOLKS LOOKING FOR OTHER WAYS OF ENTERTAINENING THEMSELVES.

Just to add, that whole debacle with the multiple 900 series thrown in New York several years ago didn't help matters either. What should have been something held in high regard (with the bowling world) turned into a complete circus.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
Just to add, that whole debacle with the multiple 900 series thrown in New York several years ago didn't help matters either. What should have been something held in high regard (with the bowling world) turned into a complete circus.
... but that's only because USBC didn't demand (or require) proof that the scores were actually shot; rather, they concluded that they couldn't verify that the scores weren't shot.