Double rant for the day...

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
This started out as one rant, but became two!

1) Dishwasher decided to leak all over floor. Found out the pump is only held to the machine by a little slip grommet and the drain hose that attaches to the tub (which vibrated loose, detached, and created the massive water leak). OK, fine. I'll put new hose clamps on it to better secure it... but the bastards are apparently proprietary! A regular hose clamp won't work! Damn the engineers who design this shit to fail AND design the parts to purposely be a pain in the ass to find and replace! May they all rot in hell, the lousy rat bastards!

2) In my search for replacement clamps, I've discovered what a shambles our hardware (and automotive parts) industry is in. Used to be any random hardware store or auto parts store would be staffed with people who knew how make shit work. Not now! If it's not on the shelf, they don't have a fucking clue! Hell, even if it IS on the shelf, they don't know anything about it other than it exists. If you're lucky they can read what the package says to you. Rant: companies that whine and bitch about the internet taking their business, yet provide no advantage to going to a physical location to get my parts! No wonder brick and mortar is failing! Nobody can tell me what the hell it is they're selling! Customer service? Ha! I guess I can say all the people I spoke to were nice. Clueless and totally unhelpful (while trying to help) but nice. I'd rather deal with a crotchety old bastard that knows what he's talking about than a pleasant dummy.

So now I head to the internet to search out/find what I need on my own. What should have been a single trip to the hardware store and 30 minutes of shooting the shit and telling dirty jokes has turned into a multi-trip, multi-day ordeal. I could have just gone to the web to start with, or given up sooner, but I just couldn't believe nobody could find the clamp I need. It's not obscure, it does exist (I've found it on the web), but in the store I might as well be speaking Swahili.

:Unsure:

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
This started out as one rant, but became two!

1) Dishwasher decided to leak all over floor. Found out the pump is only held to the machine by a little slip grommet and the drain hose that attaches to the tub (which vibrated loose, detached, and created the massive water leak). OK, fine. I'll put new hose clamps on it to better secure it... but the bastards are apparently proprietary! A regular hose clamp won't work! Damn the engineers who design this shit to fail AND design the parts to purposely be a pain in the ass to find and replace! May they all rot in hell, the lousy rat bastards!

2) In my search for replacement clamps, I've discovered what a shambles our hardware (and automotive parts) industry is in. Used to be any random hardware store or auto parts store would be staffed with people who knew how make shit work. Not now! If it's not on the shelf, they don't have a fucking clue! Hell, even if it IS on the shelf, they don't know anything about it other than it exists. If you're lucky they can read what the package says to you. Rant: companies that whine and bitch about the internet taking their business, yet provide no advantage to going to a physical location to get my parts! No wonder brick and mortar is failing! Nobody can tell me what the hell it is they're selling! Customer service? Ha! I guess I can say all the people I spoke to were nice. Clueless and totally unhelpful (while trying to help) but nice. I'd rather deal with a crotchety old bastard that knows what he's talking about than a pleasant dummy.

So now I head to the internet to search out/find what I need on my own. What should have been a single trip to the hardware store and 30 minutes of shooting the shit and telling dirty jokes has turned into a multi-trip, multi-day ordeal. I could have just gone to the web to start with, or given up sooner, but I just couldn't believe nobody could find the clamp I need. It's not obscure, it does exist (I've found it on the web), but in the store I might as well be speaking Swahili.

:Unsure:

Yup. Now you're beginning to feel the sadness we hot rodders feel. There used to be a time when we knew what we wanted/needed, and went into the parts store and said "give me a Chrysler ballast resistor". The counter guy would walk to the back and pop out with just what you needed in about 30 seconds. Now when you ask for a random part they stand behind their keyboard with a stupid look on their faces and ask "What's it for?" As if he's going to be able to type in 47 chevy on an S10 frame with a 496 stroker, a 200R-4 trans, MSD crank trigger ignition, and a B&M ratchet shifter, and find that Chrysler ballast resistor you asked for!!!!

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
*sigh* Yeah, things are changin'. Guess I'm on the cusp of getting old. But I hate to think the backyard tinkerers, builders, and inventors are all gone or going away. I hope it's just because I'm in suburbia (aka hell) where hamburgers are not greasy and nobody gets their hands dirty. It's a terrible place to be. Sure, the houses are nice and everything is clean and proper. But there is no soul in suburbia. I think that would be against the HOA covenants... :Unsure:

Robadat

Yup. Now you're beginning to feel the sadness we hot rodders feel. There used to be a time when we knew what we wanted/needed, and went into the parts store and said "give me a Chrysler ballast resistor". The counter guy would walk to the back and pop out with just what you needed in about 30 seconds. Now when you ask for a random part they stand behind their keyboard with a stupid look on their faces and ask "What's it for?" As if he's going to be able to type in 47 chevy on an S10 frame with a 496 stroker, a 200R-4 trans, MSD crank trigger ignition, and a B&M ratchet shifter, and find that Chrysler ballast resistor you asked for!!!!
Sales clerk goes to the computer starts typing and then tells you, "Sorry sir, that vehicle doesn't exist, I don't have that thingy for ya."
Went to my local mom and pop auto parts place last night, asked for a quart of ATF+4 for my car. We don't have that on hand, I can get it for you Friday...it'll run you $15. I said no thanks, I'll go down the block to Autozone and get it today for $7....

Good Times Good Times

~9, you mean to tell me with all those devices that make up that high-tech security apparatus you have to secure the sheep..........that you are having issues with the dish washer? We need to work on your budget as funds aren't being allocated properly........that security system cost no less than 10 mil (that's at bare min).

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
~9, you mean to tell me with all those devices that make up that high-tech security apparatus you have to secure the sheep..........that you are having issues with the dish washer? We need to work on your budget as funds aren't being allocated properly........that security system cost no less than 10 mil (that's at bare min).
It's all about priorities! ;) :D