Editorial: It's time to end mindless squawking about gun control

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
Though it will never happen, it's time for liberals to end the mindless squawking about gun control and turn attention to the gunmen.

School shootings such as the recent one in Parkland, Fla., shouldn't be linked to gun-control issues. and it's not the NRA (or certainly not President Trump) that is the primary cause of such incidents.

The recent surge in such shootings has nothing to do with guns, which have always been widely available in America. Rather, the increase in violence has more to do with degradation of ethics, morals and parenting, as a lack of those things cultivate mental illness in our society.

Within minutes of every such tragedy, there is no shortage of liberals looking past the dead bodies and victims to launch assaults on the Second Amendment. They keep focusing on guns and not the problem.

The problem is mental illness, but of course, they don't want to talk about that -- perhaps because the idiocy hits too close to home (with prime examples such as Maxine Waters, Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi). Demanding more gun-control laws won't solve anything. Democrat-controlled cities with the stiffest gun laws -- Chicago, Baltimore, Detroit, Los Angeles and Las Vegas -- consistently have the highest instances of gun crimes, so apparently, liberals don't know much about stemming gun violence.

The problem is directly related to a combination of mental health, poor parenting and the pussification of America. When U.S. children are offended by everything, have little moral conscience and are confused about which bathrooms to use, significant negatives are bound to result.

Few modern-day parents take their children to church, and God and morality are being replaced in public schools by political correctness and non-judgmentalism. America has raised a generation of coddled, unskilled and self-centered iPhone addicts who disrespect authority and blame everything on someone else. Many are so disconnected that they can't grasp a meaningful relationships with anything that doesn't have a touch screen.

Too many parents allow violence-filled TV and video games to "babysit" their children, and such things promote aggressive behavior. Then, thrown into the mix are such things as broken homes, drug addicts, alcoholics, abusers and pedophiles. And so many parents are ignoring their children so much that they don't even see the warning signs that something may be wrong.

Murder is illegal, but it still happens, and calling for stronger gun laws is not the answer. Americans who believe in traditional morals and values must speak up and denounce the decline in modern-day morals as the root problem behind such rampages, or the trend of shooting tragedies will continue to escalate.

REVerse °

Addicted Member
Hollywood violence (thanks GregT) and violent video games engrain anger and rage. That's part of the problem.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
VERY WELL SAID, OR COPIED, AW. I THINK THAT IS SPOT ON. PART OF MY PROBLEM IS, THE GUN ADDICTS INSTEAD OF TRYING TO HELP SOLVE THE PROBLEM ONLY HOLD UP A PIECE OF PAPER THAT SAYS I HAVE A2 RIGHTS. IF THEY REALLY CARED AT ALL ABOUT WHATS GOING ON IN TODAYS SOCIETY, THEY WOULD HELP RESOLVE THE PROBLEM. MAYBE ONE OF THEM HAS A GOOD SOLUTION THAT WOULD NOT ONLY HELP WITH THE PROBLEM, BUT MAKE THEM LOOK LIKE HEROS TO EVEN THE GUN CONTROL ADVOCATES. BUT ALAS, ITS EASIER TO HOLD UP A PIECE OF PAPER.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
VERY WELL SAID, OR COPIED, AW.
Dear WAMO:

All of my threads marked "Editorial" or "Mini-editorial" are my own compositions, and most of them are also posted elsewhere in Internet discussion forums. I've won awards for my newspaper editorial writing and for bowling columns, and at one time or another, I've also written newspaper columns on music, arts, religion, travel and TV sports.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
VERY GOOD READ AW. AND I WASNT THROWING SHADE, JUST DIDNT KNOW IF IT CAME FROM ANOTHER SOURCE.

Djarum300

Addicted Member
Hollywood violence (thanks GregT) and violent video games engrain anger and rage. That's part of the problem.
Violent video games were always an outlet for me.

I think it's more an issue with social media and cyber bullying. I also think it's about parents managing expectations for their children. It doesn't help when parents think little jimmy is the smartest or the most gifted athlete and as jimmy gets older realizes mediocrity and becomes depressed or violent.

REVerse °

Addicted Member
Violent video games were always an outlet for me.

I think it's more an issue with social media and cyber bullying. I also think it's about parents managing expectations for their children. It doesn't help when parents think little jimmy is the smartest or the most gifted athlete and as jimmy gets older realizes mediocrity and becomes depressed or violent.
Street racing video games were an outlet for me as well. Had a blast, but when I was actually driving locally I found myself losing patience with other drivers and becoming more agitated than usual. I stopped the gaming and the stress level dropped.

Your comment does have merit, though..

livespive

Nah, there is still a seed that is internal to the child.......

I played all those game, Dad let me shoot with him etc etc all the things that you think might make
me bad, but here I am haven't shot no body, etc.

When it comes down to it, it is parenting. rather discipline, or recognizing that there is a medical problem,
parents have to do their jobs.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
I'm not into the modern, super realistic overly involved military games, but do enjoy some simple shoot 'em up games. A couple of my favorites were Redneck Rampage, Major Mayhem, and to include racing games, Road Rash (I love hearing that billy club as it whacks the other dude in the noggin', and the chain is pretty sweet too!). Yet here I am, haven't ran over or shot up nobody either.

livespive

You do know somebody is going to say that you have your sheep to keep you busy....

Oh wait, I just did :p:p:Biggrin::Biggrin:;)

I'm not into the modern, super realistic overly involved military games, but do enjoy some simple shoot 'em up games. A couple of my favorites were Redneck Rampage, Major Mayhem, and to include racing games, Road Rash (I love hearing that billy club as it whacks the other dude in the noggin', and the chain is pretty sweet too!). Yet here I am, haven't ran over or shot up nobody either.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
Nah, there is still a seed that is internal to the child.......

I played all those game, Dad let me shoot with him etc etc all the things that you think might make
me bad, but here I am haven't shot no body, etc.

When it comes down to it, it is parenting. rather discipline, or recognizing that there is a medical problem,
parents have to do their jobs.
... but all too often, both (or at least one) of the parents are no longer around as the child reaches maturity.