Failed attempt at 291 a sad reflection on the state of the game

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
Mike Aleshire, who has nearly 70 certified perfect games in the books, is now apparently attempting to match Kent Wagner's feat of rolling every score from 290 to 300.

On his Facebook timeline, Aleshire has posted the following, and I quote: So since there is only one 300 per life time now I'm going to try and bowl every score from 290 - 300.

Last Monday night, however, he rolled 11 in a row before rolling a gutter ball in an attempt to roll a 291. His failed attempt is mentioned in this bowling column ...
http://www.examiner.com/article/thr...91-headline-high-score-report?cid=db_articles

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been bowling since the age of 10 and got my first 300 at 20 years of age. Since then I have 44 certified and 1 Sport certified 300 game. EVERY 300 game is special to me. I guarantee the ones who shoot tons of them and just go ehhh, are the scared ones that WILL NOT bowl on Sport Conditions.

Last edited by a moderator:

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
After a thread in a ballreviews.com forum that had been inactive for more than a year, the bowler himself (Mike Aleshire) posted in the thread two days ago (April 3, 2015) as follows ...

[begin Mike Aleshire's post]

I know this post is over a year old. But it was just brought to my attention. Let me first say i am the guy in the post Mike Aleshire. First off I am not a sandbagger never have been nor will i ever be. so let me tell you why i had decided to try for scores in the 290s. There has only been a hand full of ppl to ever bowl every score from 290-300 and with USBC making honors scores once in a life time I wanted to do something that only a few ppl have done.

[end Mike Aleshire's post]

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
... and in a later reply to comments made by other posters the same day, Aleshire posted the following (and I quote) ...

Jorge300,

Yes i agree some people as yourself will say its sandbagging or not trying to the best i can every time out. I still try and bowl as many 300s as possibly for example this year i have not thrown off at all. To answer some of your questions. No i would not throw off if i had the front 11 the first game nor would i throw off if it cost my team the game. Yes a 300 game means a lot to me but it doesn't hold the weight it use to. As you said 20 years ago 300 meant something. No i don't only roll a 300 for the award it's to be the best as you said. Not trying to sound like a ass on this but the fact is now with one honor score a life time why not try and do something different? what do you get for bowling as many 300s as you can? Yes, sandbagging is doing worse then what you can to receive more handicap. So if a person as myself who averages 240+ and doesn't receive handicap how can you call it sandbagging? Hope i have answered your questions.

MI 2 AZ,

there has been 1 person as i know of in the state of Florida to ever bowl all the 290s.

Some or most people will not agree with this I understand that 100%. Not everyone has to agree or understand its just something I as a bowler I want to do. just like everyone wants to bowl 900 which is the ultimate goal for evey bowler.

Spider

I remember, one time, a guy on the other team asked my team if he could throw gutter balls in the 10th of the 3rd game. He pointed out he wanted a triplicate award. I think he might have had 113, or something like that. We said "yes"and laughed it off. Point is the guy paid his dues, so let him score what he can / wants.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
There are occasions in basketball where it may be prudent to deliberately miss a free throw, in order to give your team a chance to win. For instance, if there is one second left and your team is two points down and you have one free throw remaining, the best chance to potentially tie the game is to attempt to clank the free-throw attempt and hope for an offensive putback.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
I'd hope RealJorge300 could add to the discussion here.
Dear Spider:

Here's how jorge300 replied, shortly after Mike Aleshire's first post ...

Mr Aleshire,
I am going to start off by saying I believe you are a far better bowler then me. I have my fair share of 300's and have a relatively high average on THS, which means very little. And while I do not think you are sandbagging, this does raise some interesting questions to me. You say you want to do something very few bowlers have ever done. I guess I see that. But you won't be the first, so what real significance is it? Do you try to roll a 300 just for the USBC award? If not, why does it matter that you won't get one? Isn't the goal of any sport to be the best you can be everytime out? Is rolling a 300 game really that insignifcant to you? While I agree it doesn't hold the glory it did 20 years ago, it is still a significant accomplishment. If you have the front 11 in game 1 of your set, are you really going to try and get 292, 293, etc? What happens if you have the front 11 the next game? You blew a chance at a possible 900 because you're bored of shooting 300's? I guess it's obvious I don't agree with your choice here. I just want to know why you would purposely do worse then you can, even for 1 frame. And, while I stick by my statement that I don't believe you are a sandbagger, isn't purposely doing worse then you can the definition of sandbagging? So I hope you can see why some may say that about you. I wish you the best of luck in your bowling career.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
... and here's how jorge300 responded to Mike Aleshire's second post ...

Mr Aleshire,
I don't consider it sandbagging, was only mentioning why is some might, even with your high average.

You say you the awards aren't the reason, but you again bring them up in your reply. When the awards were 1 per season, I still tried to bowl a 300 every time I could, it didn't matter if it was the first, second, or tenth (not that I ever had that many in 1 season, lol). Same would go for now. You seem to make a big deal of this attempt, yet you say you haven't thrown off at all this year. If this feat is so important, why have you not attempted it this year? Now maybe it is because each time, those extra pins were needed as you said, but I am curious as to why you have decided to pursue your feat. What do you get for bowling as many 300's as you can you ask? Pride, enjoyment of knowing for at least one game you acheived the maximum score in our sport, self-statisfaction for completing something many in our sport haven't...the list goes on and on. What do you get for trying to throw off?

You have every right to do this. I am just trying to understand the mindset that says, i'd rather try to achieve a novelty, rather then achieve perfection. I just don't see it. As a bowler, I try to throw the best shot I can every time, regardless of whether that means I sh0ot 100, 200, or 300.

There are occasions in basketball where it may be prudent to deliberately miss a free throw, in order to give your team a chance to win. For instance, if there is one second left and your team is two points down and you have one free throw remaining, the best chance to potentially tie the game is to attempt to clank the free-throw attempt and hope for an offensive putback.
You are correct. This is done in order to win the game. How does bowling a 291, 292, etc, relate to this? The basketball players are doing their best to win the game. Mr. Aleshire is not doing his best and is trying to accomplish a silly (my word) novelty. I stated my case in my posts above. My mind does not fathom intentionally throwing a ball away, especially if it for 300. Mr. Aleshire says it doesn't matter since 300 awards are now lifetime awards, yet claims he doesn't bowl 300's for the awards. So why use that fact as a reason for doing this? I was trying to find out the mindset of why someone would intentionally throw away perfection ( at least for one game) in our sport. It does not compute in my mind. Simple as that. I always try to domy best, if that is 300 great, I own a few 296's, but I didn't try to get those intentionally. It just happens to be that I screwed up that bad those games.

I also said he has every right to do it. He paid his dues and his league fees and can do whatever he wants. I also said I don't think it's sandbagging, but I can see how some might.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
You are correct. This is done in order to win the game. How does bowling a 291, 292, etc, relate to this?
Dear RealJorge300:

It only shows that there are some occasions where it is logical to attempt to deliberately do less than your best. A basketball player should theoretically always attempt to sink every shot he/she attempts, but in such a case, a deliberate miss is a logical consideration.

By the same token, whereas it certainly doesn't apply to the situation involving Mike Aleshire, some bowlers inappropriately believe that deliberately throwing away shots enable them to have a better chance of winning and/or cashing in handicap tournaments.

Too, on occasion, it may actually benefit a bowler to take a "test shot" on the strikeline if he/she is struggling to find the pocket and having just left a 4-6 split. Such a "test shot" may well result in a "field goal" (whereas a bowler should always try to score the highest possible pinfall).

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
A gentleman with the screen name of jdrury18 has just posted the following in the bowlingballexchange.com forum with regard to Mike Aleshire ...

Ok guys, I live in Fort Myers and I know Mike. He is a stand-up guy that always helps out with local clinics and demo days, etc. with no monetary gain for himself. I say this because he loves the game of bowling. If you are one of the bowlers on here saying he is a disgrace to the sport or doesn't respect the sport- your a fucking moron. If you don't know the person, don't say anything about him. Do you know how many people have thrown the "Ladder" or what ever they are calling it? 1, maybe 2 people? How many have thrown a 300? And how many have you- the nay-sayers ever thrown? Please say "10" or "15... your only 60 behind Mike.

I can tell you why the 1 pin (10 pin) is so hard is that he is a cranker- big time. So I am sure that it was hard for him to even get that 3 count. But to say he is a disgrace by doing something that has never been done before (well, 1) is just stupid. He would beat everyone on this post blindfolded.

And SANDBAGGING? Trying to achive something rather impressive, as opposed to, and I do it and I know everyone in here at sometime has- in the 10th frame of the 1st or 2nd game, most likely the 12 shot- picked up a different ball that you haven't used all game to see how it reacts for the next game MOST LIKELY at the expence of a couple of pins... I guess that makes us ALL SANDBAGGERS!!! I am reporting everyone in here to the USBC!!! Rockzilla, Mykenk- EVERYONE INCLUDING MYSELF!!!!! You know, TECHNICALLY IT'S SANDBAGGING... Ridiculous. And from some of the bowlers in here I respected. Fucking Joke.

He will do it someday and somebody somewhere will make a big deal about it. It would be like a pitcher getting back to back no-hitters or a QB throwing for 7 touchdowns in consecutive games... So rare that no can remember the last and only other time it has been done. And as long as it didn't hurt his team, then who does it hurt??

Mr. Herald,
Sorry, but you are incorrect. Theoretically, a basketball player should always attempt to do what is best for the team. If that means missing a foul shot in order to gain a rebound a chance to win/tie a game, then that is best for the team. The person is trying to do their "best", and in this case, it's missing the free throw in a way to facilitate his/her team to tie or win the game.

Yes, on occassion, it may benefit a bowler to throw a test shot after leaving a split, but that would really only be in the 10th frame of a game that is already won or lost. Otherwise the 1 or 2 (or more if on a string of strikes) pins could be meaningful. But that obviously doesn't apply to someone who has the front 11. So again, this means nothing.

And since I don't belong to the message board where the last article you posted is from. All I have to say is this guy is an obvious friend of Mr. Aleshire and his opinion is jaded. To compare shooting 290-299 to throwing back-to-back no hitters is a huge EPIC FAIL. A no-hitter is an actual accomplishment, the pitcher has finished what he started by ending the game without giving up a hit. Mr. Aleshire's attempt would be akin to a pitcher carrying a no-hitter to the last batter in the 9th, and feeling that a no-hitter doesn't mean much anymore and he wants to win the game by pitching a 1-hitter, a 2 hitter, a 3-hitter, after being 1 out away from a no-hitter. Can you name 1 pitcher who would actually have this mindset? If not, then why should we celebrate Mr. Aleshire's attempt to get 1 strike away from a 300 and then throw it off. This is a novelty, one that Bill Veeck might be proud of.

Dear RealJorge300:

It only shows that there are some occasions where it is logical to attempt to deliberately do less than your best. A basketball player should theoretically always attempt to sink every shot he/she attempts, but in such a case, a deliberate miss is a logical consideration.

By the same token, whereas it certainly doesn't apply to the situation involving Mike Aleshire, some bowlers inappropriately believe that deliberately throwing away shots enable them to have a better chance of winning and/or cashing in handicap tournaments.

Too, on occasion, it may actually benefit a bowler to take a "test shot" on the strikeline if he/she is struggling to find the pocket and having just left a 4-6 split. Such a "test shot" may well result in a "field goal" (whereas a bowler should always try to score the highest possible pinfall).

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
IN THIS DAY AND AGE, THINGS ARE DIFFERENT. AS HAS BEEN POSTED IN MANY OTHER RESENT THREADS ON OTHER TOPICS, THIS IS NO LONGER "THE OLD DAYS". SOME PEOPLE HAVE DIFFERENT VIEWS ON THINGS THAN WE HAD "IN THE OLD DAYS". SOME OF THE "NEW" BOWLERS HAVE THE THOUGHT PROCESS OF "I PAY MY SANCTION FEES, I PAY MY LEAGUE FEES, I PAY HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS FOR MY SHOES AND EQUIPMENT, I WILL THROW AT WHATEVER I WANT TO THROW AT". NOT SAYING THEY ARE PROMOTING "SANDBAGGING", JUST PLAYING THE GAME THEIR WAY. SO MAYBE, THEY ARE THINKING THAT 290 THRU 300 MAY JUST BE "THE PERFECT GAME".

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
To compare shooting 290-299 to throwing back-to-back no hitters is a huge EPIC FAIL. A no-hitter is an actual accomplishment, the pitcher has finished what he started by ending the game without giving up a hit. Mr. Aleshire's attempt would be akin to a pitcher carrying a no-hitter to the last batter in the 9th, and feeling that a no-hitter doesn't mean much anymore and he wants to win the game by pitching a 1-hitter, a 2 hitter, a 3-hitter, after being 1 out away from a no-hitter. Can you name 1 pitcher who would actually have this mindset? If not, then why should we celebrate Mr. Aleshire's attempt to get 1 strike away from a 300 and then throw it off. This is a novelty, one that Bill Veeck might be proud of.
Dear RealJorge300:

Who is "celebrating" Mr. Aleshire's "quest"? As a bowling writer, when a member of my bowling community makes news -- and certainly this is a news item -- I report it, but I haven't editorialized (or given my opinion) on it. I simply reported the facts, including direct quotes from the bowler as to why he was doing it. And Mr. Aleshire would tell you that in his opinion, I have done an excellent job in REPORTING on the situation.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
Dear RealJorge300:

Clarifying further, it's entirely Mr. Aleshire's decision on how he chooses to bowl. But I will say that it is, indeed, a sad reflection on the state of the game when bowlers reach the point where the "value" of a perfect game is so diluted that some -- including at least two in my area -- don't always give 100 percent effort to get a strike after starting with the first 11.

I guess I have to bring over a quote from our old site, and that is that "Reading is a skill". I posted that in response to your "reporting" of what Mr. Aleshire's friend posted on another website that you felt the need to repost here. You can gladly quote my response to him on that website whenever you wish.

And while you call this reporting, I call it supporting the decline of our sport. You can't tell me there wasn't one inspirational story about bowling you could have written instead of this? Hell, we have a gentleman in the league I bowl in who has continued his career even though he is in the latter stages of MS and can barely walk to foul line anymore. Where is someone to write a story about him? There isn't a junior bowler who has achieved something worth writing about that otherwise would go unnoticed? Your problem is you have become so jaded and hate-filled towards the USBC and your local association that you only choose to "report" stories that show bowling in a bad light. Which is your right, as long as there is someone willing to publish it. I just want you to admit it for once and stop acting like you are some fair and balanced reporter of news.

Dear RealJorge300:

Who is "celebrating" Mr. Aleshire's "quest"? As a bowling writer, when a member of my bowling community makes news -- and certainly this is a news item -- I report it, but I haven't editorialized (or given my opinion) on it. I simply reported the facts, including direct quotes from the bowler as to why he was doing it. And Mr. Aleshire would tell you that in his opinion, I have done an excellent job in REPORTING on the situation.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
I guess I have to bring over a quote from our old site, and that is that "Reading is a skill". I posted that in response to your "reporting" of what Mr. Aleshire's friend posted on another website that you felt the need to repost here. You can gladly quote my response to him on that website whenever you wish.

And while you call this reporting, I call it supporting the decline of our sport. You can't tell me there wasn't one inspirational story about bowling you could have written instead of this? Hell, we have a gentleman in the league I bowl in who has continued his career even though he is in the latter stages of MS and can barely walk to foul line anymore. Where is someone to write a story about him? There isn't a junior bowler who has achieved something worth writing about that otherwise would go unnoticed? Your problem is you have become so jaded and hate-filled towards the USBC and your local association that you only choose to "report" stories that show bowling in a bad light. Which is your right, as long as there is someone willing to publish it. I just want you to admit it for once and stop acting like you are some fair and balanced reporter of news.
Dear RealJorge300:

For your information, I have posted a number of "good news" and human-interest articles over the years, but I doubt that you would be interested in those because you probably couldn't find any way to criticize such columns.

And you imply that I write a lot of "hate-filled" articles about the USBC, so I challenge you (or anyone) to scan all of these hundreds of columns and see how many fit that category. You can find my last 500 or so columns via this link ...

www.examiner.com/bowling-in-st-petersburg/bill-herald