Fan dimmer switch

bbfreeburn

I thought I already posted this? But can’t see it.
Can you control a ceiling fan with a dimmer switch? We have 24 foot great room ceiling wit fans. But the string to control speed is 20 feet in the air.

Djarum300

Addicted Member
No. Not on standard AC fans. AC motor windings are designed to run at one voltage and current. The switches engage a new set of windings.

I just installed a nice DC motor fan for my patio with 19 speed remote. Only 250 at Lowe's.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
That's one of those situations I'd buy the fan I want (with remote, which we have now), and pay a guy like WAMO to hang off the top of a tall ladder and do the install.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
BB, YOU CAN USE A FAN SPEED CONTROL, NOT A LIGHT DIMMER. IF THERE IS A LIGHT KIT ON THE FAN, THE FAN WOULD HAVE TO BE PREWIRED WITH A SEPARATE SWITCH. A LIGHT DIMMER WILL BURN UP A FAN MOTOR OVER A PERIOD OF TIME AND CAUSE A HELLAVA HUM.

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
When my brother wired my dad's house he used a dual control on the wall. One was a dimmer and the other was the fan speed control.

Djarum300

Addicted Member
One of the reasons I went with a DC motor fan was I only had one switch/wires. I had a hunter AC 54 inch fan but really didn't put out enough air. New DC fan puts out twice the CFM at the same wattage.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
YES G. BUT THE FAN HAS TO BE PREWIRED FOR THEM TO BE SEPARATE OPERATIONS, OR A REMOTE CONTROL HAS TO BE INSTALLED AT THE CEILING FAN TO SEPARATE THEM.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
WHEN I WIRE A HOUSE, I ALWAYS PREWIRE FOR SEPARATE SWITCHES. YOUR ONLY TALKING A COUPLA BUCKS DIFFERENCE IN THE WIRE COST. BUT I DAMN SURE WOULD ON A 24' CEILING.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
THE FANS I DO THE MOST OF RIGHT NOW OUTDOORS ARE THOSE "BIG ASS FANS". SOME OF THOSE THINGS HAVE A 72" SPAN AND THEY PUT OUT PLENTY OF AIR MOVEMENT. AND NOT MUCH NOISE.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
I INSTALLED 2 W.A.C. LIGHTING OUTDOOR FANS WITH REMOTE AND BLU TOOTH YESTERDAY. FIRST OF THAT TYPE I'V SEEN. IT WAS FOR ONE OF THE DECORATORS I WORK WITH.