Greedy dentist takes advantage of patients paying cash

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
Greed, greed and more greed! Is the following scenario fair or logical? Whether or not, it's true!

I'm just using sample numbers, but regarding insurance, everyone knows that the provider -- in this case, my dentist -- submits charges to the insurance company, say for $200, but the insurance firm says it will only pay $120 -- minus any co-pay or deductible owed -- for services rendered. So the dentist accepts the $120 in what is considered as "provider write-off."

Well, dental insurance, as some of you may already know, is generally a total rip-off. Premiums are costly, and they never pay more than half the cost for such things as crowns, implants and bridges -- and even then, they won't even cover any such costs until after the policy has been in effect for a full year.

After fully reviewing the situation, my wife and I felt that there is no such thing as good dental insurance, so we cancelled our policies and decided to pay as we go.

But here's the absolutely ridiculous part. If a patient has insurance, the dentist will settle for the $120 that the insurance company is willing to pay. But if a patient pays cash, THE DENTIST CHARGES THE FULL $200. Why? Because he can!

It should benefit the dentist's office to simply accept full cash payments rather than "play games" with the insurance companies, filing paperwork and having to wait for payment, etc., but why should a patient willing to pay cash pay the full, inflated amount that the dentist seeks, but never gets from the insurance company?

As I said earlier, it's greed, greed and more greed!

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Depends where you live. My dentist in Indiana was very reasonably priced. So much so, I paid cash for 2 checkups per year and could have up to 3 or 4 fillings done before it would equal the cost of premiums + copays for dental ins. through work.

Around here though, I inquired where my wife goes (she has a different policy through her employer) and they want to soak cash paying patients! They quoted more than triple what I was paying in Indiana. Still searching for a reasonable, skilled dentist... hope my teeth don't all rot out before I find one.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
Depends where you live. My dentist in Indiana was very reasonably priced. So much so, I paid cash for 2 checkups per year and could have up to 3 or 4 fillings done before it would equal the cost of premiums + copays for dental ins. through work.

Around here though, I inquired where my wife goes (she has a different policy through her employer) and they want to soak cash paying patients! They quoted more than triple what I was paying in Indiana. Still searching for a reasonable, skilled dentist... hope my teeth don't all rot out before I find one.
Dear 9andaWiggle:

Your points are well-noted, but the key point I was making is: If I'm paying cash, why does the dentist get to collect a much-larger sum from someone who is willing to pay the bill instantly by cash? The dentist and the insurance company make out like bandits, and someone who wants to pay by cash for the services gets the shaft!

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Dear 9andaWiggle:

Your points are well-noted, but the key point I was making is: If I'm paying cash, why does the dentist get to collect a much-larger sum from someone who is willing to pay the bill instantly by cash? The dentist and the insurance company make out like bandits, and someone who wants to pay by cash for the services gets the shaft!
True. Don't doctors and hospitals work the same way? Not sure because I've never dared to ask about paying cash at the Dr.! :Eek:

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
True. Don't doctors and hospitals work the same way? Not sure because I've never dared to ask about paying cash at the Dr.!
Dear 9andaWiggle:

Not true. Providers typically charge 20 to 50 percent less when they can get paid immediately and without funneling payment through an insurer. And not only that, there is actually a rise in the number of cash-only doctors who don't even take insurance.

Djarum300

Addicted Member
Dental insurance is a rip-off because dentists faught for years that they didn't want to deal with it.

Fundamentally I believe dentists should be apart of overall health and part of regular insurance. Mosts dentist here have cash prices. Most endodontist don't take insurance here. The insurance companies won't pay enough.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
Dental insurance is a rip-off because dentists faught for years that they didn't want to deal with it.

Fundamentally I believe dentists should be apart of overall health and part of regular insurance. Mosts dentist here have cash prices. Most endodontist don't take insurance here. The insurance companies won't pay enough.
Dear Djarum300:

You make some valid points. And indeed, some of them don't want to deal with insurance because they can make more setting their own prices without insurance companies deciding what they're willing to pay for various services.