Happy...

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
... and Pi = 3.1415926535897932384626433832795028841971

I memorized that while in high school, and if you were to meet me in person, I could still rattle off those numbers easily and accurately.

In fact, my knowledge of the value of pi is how I was "discovered" on the Internet by a high-school classmate in 1999, even though all of my classmates thought I died long ago. I was supposedly the first member of my high school class to have died, and I was listed as dead in the class' 10th, 20th and 30th reunion booklets, only to appear in person for the 40th and 50th reunions.

At any rate, in the summer of 1999, I received an e-mail from high-school classmate Ed Hall, and the e-mail simply asked the question: What is the value of pi to 50 places? I replied with the correct answer, and Ed soon got back with me with something to the effect of, "You're obviously the Bill Herald that I used to go to school with, even though we all thought you had died years ago. I was recently going through a list of classmates, and I attempted to contact a number of them, and I thought that there was a remote possibility that you weren't really dead, so I did a name search for Bill Herald, knowing that if you were really out there, you'd be the only one who could provide the answer to my pi question. You're obviously my former classmate, and in that regard, we're in the planning stages for a 50th-year class reunion in October, and you're obviously welcome to attend. I'll make sure you get full information on it, should you care to attend."

It turned out that the reunion was to be held at the exact time that I had already planned to be in Las Vegas on vacation, and because the reunion was to be in Boulder City, Nev., only 23 miles from Las Vegas, it was easy for me to attend because I was going to be in the area anyway.

But I was able to re-connect with my high-school classmates because I still remembered the value of pi to 50 places. By the way, pi times 2 = 6.28318530717958647692 (Sorry, I only recall that to 20 places ... LOL).

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
Another true "pi story" (and I'll keep it short) ...

I once was downgraded on a trigonometry test by high-school instructor Rulon Gibson, when I made a calculation using pi to 50 places (rather than just 3.14). Mr. Gibson told me that he couldn't give me a score of 100 on the test BECAUSE I WAS "TOO ACCURATE." Personally, I don't know a person can be too accurate -- especially in mathematics -- but that was the case in that situation, at least.