Hell, Yes. You go, girl!!!

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
I don't know. Truthfully, the old way is not such a bad way. What needs to be done is the work back from when I was in school. I grew up without calculators and shit. We had to learn the stuff. To this day I see a problem and my brain automatically goes into calulation mode. I do most of that shit in my head without even thinking about it. THAT is how it should be done. I don't understand how 108 steps can be more efficient, or even more usefull than a quick mental calculation. I believe the problems are much deeper than that. Snatch the fucking cell phones, video games and tablets away from the kids and make them sit down and actually DO their studies. Keep them away from the fucking malls make them sit and read. Making math nearly impossible is not the answer. You can't teach by intimidation. You can't teach by making something completely incomprehnsible. Kids to feel the exuberance of doing well and being praised for delivering correct answers. They need the feeling of accomplishment when their homework receives a score of 95% or 100%. Common core is accomplishing just the opposite. Low scores and terrible grades are discouraging the kids to the point where they are giving up.

My granddaughter is brilliant. She lands in the 2% percent statewide. She has given up on the common core math and has made the statement that there's no point in working hard when a correct answer is marked wrong. I have to agree. As long as a child gets a correct answer, and can do so repeatedly, why should it be marked wrong and why should the method be questioned? I have many shortcuts that my mind can calculate much quicker than people can push buttons on a calculator. If my method works, and my answers are correct, who can say that my method is wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
I'm not sure pouring money into the situation will solve the problem. Look, I'm not familiar with "inner city" life and its challenges/rewards. I purposely stay away, even from the nice inner city areas, because I do not enjoy being in big cities. But things I hear and read about the worst schools (admitting this is media fed and likely distorted somewhat) is that the culture in those areas tends to mock anyone who tries to "better" themselves. That survival is tough enough, and a big drain on energy and a huge distraction to learning. Some are said to be so unsafe, they couldn't get highly qualified teachers to go there for ANY price. So the question isn't as much about tossing more dollar bills into the fire, it's "How do we get these people to care about themselves enough that they want to become educated and successful? How do we get them to see that they CAN have a better, safer life? How do we change a culture of anger, violence, addiction, and failure? IMO, the people have to WANT and value the opportunity to succeed, as well as believing they CAN succeed. Answers, unfortunately I don't have any. But I think school funding is only a small piece of the puzzle. I'm not saying it's not important, and I'm not advocating restricting the cash flow to schools - they should be given what is needed to operate as best they can. But the funds need to be spent wisely in conjunction with the community to stop the downward spiral. On edit: This also applies to any other school. Desiring success, wanting to learn, understanding the risk/reward of their efucational decisions/attitude is key no matter if the person is a poor inner city kid or a billionaire's child. I don't know about "Common Core", but it sounds like a trainwreck. Just teach kids the skills they need to succeed, how to apply those skills, and to hell with the constant testing. I wonder if we don't get too focused on the numbers and fail to evaluate fairly the end result?

Spider

Yeah, this a tough one... We can't even agree on evolution / evilution. Or the age of the damn planet. So how can we agree on a one-size fits all here?

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
I don't think one size fits all. What works in small rural KS towns won't necessarily work in Houston and vice-versa. That's probably the first mistake...

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
What's important is what works for the individual. The way I learned math, with having to memorize the times tables and shit, worked for me. I can calculate most simple problems in my head much quicker than people can punch calculator buttons. Common core is NOT going to get people there.

JLS

Greg...so true....Recently I was shoping at Meijer food stores...they had Prince Pasta on sale for 79 cent...a 1 lbs. box...

After I checked out...I noticed that I had been OVERCHARGED on several items....cooklies and Pasta...

So I had to go to Customer Service to get my adjustment...Once there... the female cashier POINTED OUT TO ME THAT I BOUGHT THE WRONG PRINCE PASTA...I BOUGHT THE 16 OZ. BOX, INSTEAD OF THE ONE LBS. BOX...
This is #492....why I dislike today's teachers....all they want is to strike for a better deal...and they usually wait til the start of school to strike....
And yet today's children are an example of their teaching skills....

And let us never forget....that it was the YOUTH of America...the under 30 crowd that drinks Star Bucks, shops Target and Amazon.com, that voted for Obama...TWICE...

which is why

we're screwed

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Wait, you actually found pasta in a 16oz package? All I see is everything that used to be packaged in 16oz are now 12oz. Assholes! Just raise the damn price, I get it. But dammit, when I want a lb of bacon, I WANT A LB OF BACON!!! NOT 12 oz of bacon!! Dicks!

JLS

Cool person....Each and every year that my kids were in school...I BOUGHT THOSE ITEMS....NOT TEACHERS...

NOW MY GRANDDAUGHTER IS IN SCHOOL...AND HER PARENTS BUY THOSE SUPPLIES...

So excuse me....but I do not know wtf you are talking about...

THE PARENTS BUY EVERYTHING....INCLUDING BOOKS....AND WE HAVE TO PAY A FEE FOR EACH STUDENT FOR THE SCHOOL YEAR...

So once again....WTF are you talking about....Teachers in Mayberry...

I have heard that crap before about teachers buying paper towlels and Puffs...etc etc....BUT I HAVE NEVER ACTUALLY SEEN IT...

AND ONE MORE THING cool person....IF TEACHERS DON'T LIKE IT....WHY DON'T THEY GET A DIFFERENT JOB...

now

still clear

Robadat

My granddaughter goes to a public school in NYC. Every year, she is given a supplies list of items to bring in, pencils, pens, paper, crayons, report covers, scissors, rulers, tissues, etc. etc. Each year the list costs about $50 to fill for her Mom. Yet when my granddaughter forgot to bring her own pencils to school, she couldn't get one from the teacher. WTF did the 3 dozen pencils she gave to the teacher at the beginning of the year go???
Now maybe, in some schools, teachers are picking up the bill for the students who can not afford to buy this list of supplies, but here in NY the students who do not bring in their supplies are using the supplies brought in by kids whose parents went thru the time and expense to fill these lists. That's not right.
As for Common Core, I can not figure out how that is supposed to work...I will continue to do my math the old school way, it's worked for me for fifty something years. The kids today can't even figure out how to give you your change when the register TELLS them how much change to give you. And forget about it if you give them $10.75 for a $5.74 purchase, their fuckin heads explode...last one gave me back my three quarters, saying I gave her too much, and then four 1$ bills, two dimes and six pennies...

Djarum300

Addicted Member
The problem I see with common core "math" is that while the system is trying to teach more analytical thinking, its really overkill. Memorization in math is extremely important up unil a student gets into higher levels of algebra, trig, and calculus work. I agree that the old standard curriculum of teaching goes from a "just is" approach to a " why is it" approach when going from lower levels to higher levels of math, and in many cases, its an abrubt change in thinking that many students can't grasp. Teachers should be doing both at all times.

Lets look at a Trig identity / double angle forumula for example.

2 sin(2u) = 2 sin u cos u

In trigonometry, most teachers spend time on showing how trig identities and various forumulas are derived. Eventually its expected by Precal or Cal tha they are memorized. Why? If doing a complex differential equations or integrals and the student was required at every step to show how they go to a trig identity before even getting to the calculus problem, the problem would take a very long time to solve. This would slow down progress for the student.
There are cases when doing high level math where identities or "recalled" understanding of algebraic or trig forumulas must be understood so that they can be broken down. This is typically at the higher level math of if an instructor is looking for a thereom or postulate of some kind.

Knowing that 5x5 = 25 from a memorized times table is just as important as understanding that 5x5 really = 5+5+5+5+5 and that drawing out that 5 groups of 5 apples gets us to 25.

JLS

CRD....Reading is a skill...and you seem to LACK IT....
Did you not read and fully understand what I wrote...and then Rob wrote a reply...
TEACHERS DID NOT BUY OUR KIDS JACK SHXXIT...

Now I don't give a flying fuxxck that your someone is a teacher...cause she didn't buy my kids anything....NO TEACHER DID...

So don't try to tell me that these OVERPAID USELESS PEOPLE WHO TEACH OUR KIDS, ARE PAYING FOR SUPPLIES OUT OF THEIR OWN MONEY....TOTAL BULL SHXXIT....

OUR STUDENTS RATING IS SOMETHING LIKE 26TH IN THE WORLD...

SO DON'T TELL ME OUR TEACHERS ARE DOING A GREAT JOB...

THEY SUCK....

now

are we clear

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
This has nothing to do with teachers buying anything. It'a about the kids getting fucked with Common Core math.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Aren't there laws against fucking kids? I don't care what you fuck them with, I think it's still illegal! :p

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
Yeah, it's illegal, but the government found away around it, as usual.

JLS

Greg T said:
This has nothing to do with teachers buying anything. It'a about the kids getting fucked with Common Core math.
Greg...tell that to Cool Person....

#9...I think it's legal in Alabama...And I know you can kill a baby in Florida and get off...Cause I seen it on TV...

Botton line...Fuxxck Florida and Alabama...

Nothing good comes from there...

Not sure how it works everywhere, but I have two first hand examples:
My SIL is a teacher in Las Vegas and her Husband was a teacher, now an asst Principal. Yes, list are sent home to parents to buy supplies. But not all parent can afford those. Teachers buy supplies as well to help out anyone who might not have what was requested. They also buy teaching supplies, to help them fulfill the lesson plans they have put together for their students. The teachers put out a good deal of money from their own pocket every year to ensure the kids they are teaching get the best they can. For my SIL, you are talking about 200-300 at the start of every school year, plus more as the year rolls along.
Second is what is going on in my son's school. Again, we were given a list of supplies to buy and we did so. But his teacher also bought her own materials needed for the classroom. She also started a drive on DonorsChoose.org to raise money for some PE equipment for the kids. It came to the end of the project and she was going to put it the remaining dollars out her own pocket to help fund it...something that isn't rare these days. Teachers spend lots of their own money each year to make sure kids get the best education they can.

Now more to the topic: Common Core sucks! My son, in second grade, was required to know 4 different ways to do a subtraction problem. It's crazy and it's preclude's real learning, IMO. Common core focuses on the wrong things and worries more about the process of getting to the answer then getting the right answer. That to me is wrong. JMHO.
And JLS, having teacher's in my family makes me say to you: Fuck You...but in the nicest possible way. Teachers are doing the best they can with limited resources they are given and the parameters the State and Federal Governments have given. Don't forget "No Child Left Behind" BS. Sometime children need to be left behind, for one reason or another. They need an extra year of a grade to fully grasp the concepts. Hell, now you have kids that barely speak English, if it all, in class and they have to be moved up at the end of the year. It's not the teacher's fault, it's what is required. If you want to continue to bash teachers. I dare you to go and spend 1 day in a school helping out a teacher...maybe and one of your grandchildren's schools, or find a local school that will let you do it. Then come back and tell me the teachers suck. Until then you are just blowing smoke out your ass, as usual.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
I can see that working out real well... a dirty old man asking to "help the children" (imagine the request being made in Mr. Herbert's voice). lol

JLS

Jorge...Kiss my ass....I also have teachers in the family...Our students are brain dead...We are behind so many countires in Education...

So kiss my ass with this crap that teachers are doing a great job....Cause the record does not show that...

When I was in school....The US was among the top....Not anymore....The teachers in my era did a great job...

I never heard of teachers going on strike in the 40's, 50's 60's....They came in and did their job...and did it well...

Now I will agree that teachers have issues...But here they are making 50-60K...or more...And I have to pay higher taxes because of that...

Some supt. are making 200-300 K....Heck...we only pay Obama 400K...So how do you justify paying a school supt. that much money...

oh and one more thing BOY

kiss my ass...oops...I already said that....Make that...Fuxxck off...

JLS,
Are you fucking kidding me....50-60K....and you think that's a great living....how much is that after taxes, 25-30K maybe. Now out of that you have to pay a mortgage, buy food, clothes, car payment, and other basic living essentials....now throw in you have to spend your own money to buy things you need for your classroom. That 50-60K gets eaten up really quickly. Now maybe that's a lot for you, since all you do is scare the kids and drive customers away with your potty mouth....but in the real world, that isn't living high on the hog....err sheep.
I am not disputing the fact that we have fallen in our eduation standings....but what I am telling you is it isn't all the teacher's fault. Are there some bad teachers out there, of course. Just like there are some bad ball drillers...if we follow your logic, I guess all ball drillers suck then, including you. So you can admit you are generalizing or you can admit you are a sucky ball driller, your choice.