Man Who Threatened Muslim Police Officer Arrested

MI2AZ

The New York Police Department has arrested a man accused of harassing an off-duty Muslim police officer previously commended for heroism. The NYPD said Monday that 36-year-old Christopher Nelson has been arrested on charges of menacing as a hate crime and aggravated harassment, the AP reports. Authorities say Officer Aml Elsokary, who was wearing a Muslim head covering, encountered a man yelling and pushing her 16-year-old son on Saturday evening in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn, when she went to park her car, per CBS New York. When Elsokary, who was unarmed, intervened, the man reportedly said, "ISIS [expletive], I will cut your throat, go back to your country."

City officials hailed Elsokary as a hero in 2014 after she saved a baby and the baby's grandmother from a blaze in Williamsburg. The NYPD Muslim Officers Society says she's one of the few NYPD officers who wears a head covering on the clock. "No New Yorker should ever have to worship in fear," Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand said of this and another recent Islamophobic attack in the city. "This hate, this language, this behavior must never be normalized." There was no immediate information on an attorney who could comment on the defendant's behalf.

Robadat

While this cop should be commended for her actions while off-duty and unarmed, I don't agree with hate crimes BS in any sense. Thinking something bad should not be a crime, doing something bad is. Why you do something does not really matter, that you did, or tried to do it is all that should matter. This crap is straight out of Animal Farm, some people are more equal than others.

If I arrested and charged every person that threatened me and/or called me racial slurs while I was working or otherwise, there'd be a whole lot more people sitting in jail.

livespive

So by that logic, having terrorist thoughts, or thought to kill the POTUS should not be a crime either??

For someone to say what he did should be taken extremely seriously, and especially if he was in her face.
Posting on a web site, or holding a sign is one thing, close proximity is not good as thing can words to actions in a second.

While this cop should be commended for her actions while off-duty and unarmed, I don't agree with hate crimes BS in any sense. Thinking something bad should not be a crime, doing something bad is. Why you do something does not really matter, that you did, or tried to do it is all that should matter. This crap is straight out of Animal Farm, some people are more equal than others.

If I arrested and charged every person that threatened me and/or called me racial slurs while I was working or otherwise, there'd be a whole lot more people sitting in jail.

Robadat

So by that logic, having terrorist thoughts, or thought to kill the POTUS should not be a crime either??

For someone to say what he did should be taken extremely seriously, and especially if he was in her face.
Posting on a web site, or holding a sign is one thing, close proximity is not good as thing can words to actions in a second.
This is an apples and oranges sort of thing.
If one is actively planning a terrorist attack or an assassination attempt, that should be dealt with harshly.

But threatening someone should be handled the same regardless of the reasoning behind the threat. Threats and curses against a person should all be handled on an equal basis. Just because someone happens to be a minority does not make them more valuable under the law than another. We are all equal and everyone should be treated the same way. That is why I do not agree with Hate Crimes legislation, it places certain groups of persons on a higher level than others. The way that I've always done my job, I treat everyone the same way, with respect, until that person does something to lose that respect. My only interest in someone's racial, sexual orientation or religion is for the jailers, who may have to separate that person for his/her own safety while in custody.

Going back to this incident, the incident supposedly happened on Saturday night, but the perp wasn't arrested until Sunday night for this crime. If she legitimately felt threatened by this individual, she should have arrested him herself or called 911 for back up to effect an arrest immediately.

livespive

Right, and I am not talking about planning....

If I say that I am going to kill the POTUS depending on who hears it I can get arrested.
If I say that I want to blow up a building same thing.

Like you said everyone should be treated the same.

I also wondered why she didn't get him right away, she may not have wanted things to escalate right away.....

There has been a lot of officer ambushes going on here lately no matter race or religion.

We gotta keep you guys safe :)

This is an apples and oranges sort of thing.
If one is actively planning a terrorist attack or an assassination attempt, that should be dealt with harshly.

But threatening someone should be handled the same regardless of the reasoning behind the threat. Threats and curses against a person should all be handled on an equal basis. Just because someone happens to be a minority does not make them more valuable under the law than another. We are all equal and everyone should be treated the same way. That is why I do not agree with Hate Crimes legislation, it places certain groups of persons on a higher level than others. The way that I've always done my job, I treat everyone the same way, with respect, until that person does something to lose that respect. My only interest in someone's racial, sexual orientation or religion is for the jailers, who may have to separate that person for his/her own safety while in custody.

Going back to this incident, the incident supposedly happened on Saturday night, but the perp wasn't arrested until Sunday night for this crime. If she legitimately felt threatened by this individual, she should have arrested him herself or called 911 for back up to effect an arrest immediately.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
So, if a Microsoft application is pissing me off, and in a moment of frustration I say to a coworker "I'd like to kill that fucking Bill Gates..." am I a criminal? Should I be locked up as a threat to society?

livespive

Yes, but after talking shit.....

Had they done something before, it could have been prevented.....

The cops write tickets for seatbelts which don't hurt anyone else, spend the time writing the tickets on something that can potentially save someone else's life.

This is an action, not just talking shit. This guy should be arrested and charged with an assault at the minimum. Just as any other person who deliberately pushes someone else down a flight of stairs should be.

livespive

Right, as we had been talking about earlier, just like the guy that was calling the cop names, and like the other guy, that pushed the Muslim, it is about preventative measures, especially with stuff like this.

YES, HE WAS FOLLOWING HIM, BUT THE KID ATTACKED HIM I BELIEVE.