Mini-editorial: Improper motives regarding Romney's guilty vote

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
Mitt Romney’s recent Senate vote to convict President Trump wasn't an act of courage. It was a selfish act against a president whom he had previously disparaged.

Romney knew full well that his vote would be irrelevant to the final outcome, but Democrats would be able to use it as a contrast to Republicans running for re-election in competitive districts who voted for acquittal.

His justification for voting as he did was that his Mormon faith required him to acknowledge what he considered improper conduct by Trump, but that wasn't what he was being asked to do. The question was whether that conduct amounted to an impeachable offense that required removal from office under the Constitution, and clearly, it did not.

His vote was in conflict with the legal opinions of Alan Dershowitz, Jonathan Turley, and other constitutional attorneys who assert that neither impeachment article showed any criminal (or impeachable) offense. Romney may disagree, and that's his choice, but it's interesting to note that he didn't cite any evidence to back up his vote; rather, he said he based it on his Mormon religious conviction and conscience.

We cannot get to the point where we impeach presidents for improper motives. If must be for committing treason, bribery, or other high crimes and misdemeanors. The facts clearly show that the financial aid allocated by Congress was sent to Ukraine, its president received the meeting he had requested and no investigation of the Bidens was conducted.

Romney’s vote merely reminded us of the flawed candidate who was rejected while seeking the presidency in 2012, and it provided a comparison with Trump’s successful 2016 campaign, which Romney has yet to accept.

Since the vote, Romney has been lionized as a hero by much of the fake-news lamestream media and the Democratic Party. That's understandable, but these same people weren't so kind to Romney when he ran for president against Barack Obama. They called him a misogynist, a racist and a vulture capitalist who exploited workers.

In the eyes of many Democrats and liberals, he's considered a good guy for now, at least until he tries to run for president in 2024.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
SO A POLITICIAN DOES WHAT POLITICIANS DO...SUPRISE!!!!!
Dear WAMO:

Not exactly, in this case. Politicians usually do things that will help them get re-elected, but Romney represents a state in which more than two-things of the people approve strongly of Trump, and more than two-thirds were opposed to impeachment. Shouldn't Romney be doing what a large percentage of his constituents want?

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
SO, WOULDNT THAT KIND OF PROVE HE WAS STICKING TO HIS CONVICTIONS AND NOT WHAT SOME REPORTER ASSUMES WHY HE DID IT? NOONE ELSE BUT HIM KNOWS WHAT WAS IN HIS HEAD. ANYTHING BEYOND WHAT HE SAYS HE WAS THINKING IS JUST "HEARSAY". AND WE KNOW SOMEONES THOUGHTS ON HEARSAY, DONT WE?

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
SO, WOULDNT THAT KIND OF PROVE HE WAS STICKING TO HIS CONVICTIONS AND NOT WHAT SOME REPORTER ASSUMES WHY HE DID IT? NOONE ELSE BUT HIM KNOWS WHAT WAS IN HIS HEAD. ANYTHING BEYOND WHAT HE SAYS HE WAS THINKING IS JUST "HEARSAY". AND WE KNOW SOMEONES THOUGHTS ON HEARSAY, DONT WE?
Dear WAMO:

His primary "conviction" reflects his vast hatred for Donald Trump, and it doesn't reflect legal standards because THERE WAS NO CRIME ALLEGED in the articles of impeachment, so in that case, how can anyone be found guilty of a HIGH CRIME when not even charged with ANY crime?

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
An elected official is not in office to reflect his convictions. He is put there to do the will of the people. He was elected by republicans to represent republicans, not his own jealousy.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
REJECTED ROMNEY AND GOT OBAMA. GOOD CHOICE G!

I DONT THINK I HAVE EVER HEARD ROMNEY SAY HE HATED TRUMP. GUESS I MISSED THAT SPEACH, SORRY. THANKS AW.

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
REJECTED ROMNEY AND GOT OBAMA. GOOD CHOICE G!

I DONT THINK I HAVE EVER HEARD ROMNEY SAY HE HATED TRUMP. GUESS I MISSED THAT SPEACH, SORRY. THANKS AW.
Romney ran against Trump. Thankfully, he lost. Romney is a self-serving douchebag.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
An elected official is not in office to reflect his convictions. He is put there to do the will of the people. He was elected by republicans to represent republicans, not his own jealousy.
... and Utah is a solidly strong Republican state!

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
Romney ran against Trump. Thankfully, he lost. Romney is a self-serving douchebag.
Dear Greg T:

I never liked two-faced Romney, but because he was running against Barack Hussein Obama, I held my nose and voted for him. He would have been better in the Oval Office than Obama, but that's not saying much.

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
Dear Greg T:

I never liked two-faced Romney, but because he was running against Barack Hussein Obama, I held my nose and voted for him. He would have been better in the Oval Office than Obama, but that's not saying much.
I'm not even sure he'd have been a better choice than Bam Bam. He MAY have not been so much a crook, but had he been in, we probably wouldn't have had Trump afterwards. We needed a huge douche like Bam Bam to get enough people pissed off at the dems so that they would stand behind a renegade candidate.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
I'm not even sure he'd have been a better choice than Bam Bam. He MAY have not been so much a crook, but had he been in, we probably wouldn't have had Trump afterwards. We needed a huge douche like Bam Bam to get enough people pissed off at the dems so that they would stand behind a renegade candidate.
Dear Greg T:

You probably are correct that we wouldn't have had Trump if Romney had won. And for another reason: Romney would have disappointed the electorate, who would have turned back to the Democrats in 2016.

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
Dear Greg T:

You probably are correct that we wouldn't have had Trump if Romney had won. And for another reason: Romney would have disappointed the electorate, who would have turned back to the Democrats in 2016.
Yup. That's right.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
WELL, AFTER WATCHING THE EXCERPT VIDEO, I SEE HOW TRUMP WON 100% OF THE REPUBLICAN VOTING PUBLIC. THANKS AW.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
WELL, AFTER WATCHING THE EXCERPT VIDEO, I SEE HOW TRUMP WON 100% OF THE REPUBLICAN VOTING PUBLIC. THANKS AW.
Dear WAMO:

They obviously didn't pay much attention to what Romney had to say! But Romney sang a different tune, praising Trump highly when he sought (and received) Donald's endorsement in 2012 and 2018!