Mini-editorial: Today's children think violence is acceptable

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
When Cain killed Abel with a stone, stones weren't restricted or banned from the planet. It should be common sense that guns at home in a cabinet or a cars in a garage don't kill anyone., but if either is under the control of a human being, they can kill someone.

Because it's people who kill, why all the modern-day violence? It's not rocket science. Take a look at the video games children have been playing in recent years -- games that put emphasis on aggression and killing -- and consider the violence and killing that Hollywood is producing in movies and on TV.

American youth has grown up with violence. and many of them have little or no moral conscience, thinking it’s OK to kill, justifying things from what they know. The Internet isn't without blame, either, with many Web sites that contain boasting about killings.

The lamestream media and television spend far too much time in coverage of gruesome mass killings, in part giving glorification to the next person looking for 15 minutes of fame.

Parents need to take an introspective look at how to raise children and how to can help them deal with a violence-filled environment.

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
I think the problem lies in desensitization. No, I don't think violent games and graphic news stories "cause" the problem. BUT, I do think that they desensitize kids to gruesome situations. Plus, the news never fails to make the perps famous with all the coverage they give them.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
I think the problem lies in desensitization. No, I don't think violent games and graphic news stories "cause" the problem. BUT, I do think that they desensitize kids to gruesome situations. Plus, the news never fails to make the perps famous with all the coverage they give them.
Indeed, the cable news networks air hour after hour coverage of such things with few (or no) commercial breaks.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Kids also see their parents lashing out, viciously attacking and setting out to destroy anyone whose ideology differs from theirs. The behavior is taught at home.

In a nutshell, we are fucked. Looking everything over, I think we are set for a period of extreme worldwide volatility. There will either be multiple countries engaged in civil war, or we will have another world war.

If I had to guess, I'd say several civil wars will break out first, and some opportunists will try to seize upon the moment and take over one (or more) divided, warring countries - at which point other nations will jump in to stop it and we all wind up in the mess. Significant historical events will take place and be recorded (if mankind survives).