My, my! How the mighty have fallen!

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
Not long ago, the Kansas City Royals played in back-to-back World Series (2014 and 2015), and in the first of those years, the Royals lost to the San Francisco Giants, while in 2015, KC won the title, downing the New York Mets. So how are those teams doing this season?

Yesterday (May 7), the Royals got only ONE HIT in a 1-0 defeat at the hands of Cleveland, and KC now has THE WORST RECORD in major-league baseball. The Mets got only ONE HIT in a 7-0 loss to Miami, and they are now 6.5 games from the division lead with a losing record. And the Giants got only four hits in a 4-0 defeat at the hands of Cincinnati, giving them THE WORST record in the National League.

How can good teams become bad teams so rapidly?

Last edited:

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
LOSS OF PLAYERS.
Dear WAMO:

I'm sure that's part of it, but even so, that shouldn't result in the worst records in baseball, and three games yesterday in which the aforementioned teams DIDN'T SCORE ANY RUNS and had only SIX HITS among them (including a pair of one-hitters).

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
Now, here we are in early July, and take a look at some of last year's top teams ...

* The World Series champion Cubs are struggling along with a .500 record (41-41).
* In the AL East, the Blue Jays and Orioles are last and next-to-last.
* The Giants are buried in the cellar with a woeful 32-51 mark.
* The Mets continue to underperform with a record of 38-43.
* The Rangers are in fourth place in their division.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
And to add... a team that was recently ridiculed as the "LASTROS" a few short years ago are killing it this year!

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
And to add... a team that was recently ridiculed as the "LASTROS" a few short years ago are killing it this year!
... and obviously, when some of the former contenders drop into mediocrity, other teams take their place at or near the top of the standings.