New Store Has No Checkout Line

MI2AZ

Generally, walking into a grocery store, grabbing what you want, and walking out without checking out is a little thing polite society likes to call "shoplifting," but Amazon has eliminated the checkout line without introducing the criminality via Amazon Go, a brick-and-mortar store currently in beta. The lowdown:
  • How it works: You walk in, scan the Amazon Go app on your phone, you grab what you want, and you walk out. Big Brother tallies your purchases, charges your Amazon account, and emails you a receipt.

• What's in it for you: Convenience. Yes, Bezos and Co. have felt the panic of those among us who desperately scan the checkout lines for the shortest one.
  • What's in it for Amazon: Another chit toward world domination. But more interestingly/importantly, Amazon Go provides another, deeper window into your soul, dear consumer. As the Verge notes, "By looking at your movements in the store as you shop, Amazon could analyze items you may have noticed or were potentially interested in buying (i.e., picking something up off a shelf and putting it back down.)"
  • Take me there now: The store is in beta in Seattle for Amazon employees only; it'll open to the general public early next year. For the rest of us, "the technology is something a traditional grocer would never be able to fund themselves," an expert tells AdAge. "This is Amazon taking advantage of their other R&D programs, their willingness to experiment at scale." In short, wait a decade before you expect to see the same concept on a corner near you.

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
I would use that store IF the pricing was comparable to my current store. I've been an Amazon Prime member for quite some time and I order a lot of stuff thru amazon. If I could use a store with no checkout line I'd be there.

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
How do you like Prime? I was thinking about getting it.
I love it. Most of the stuff that qualifies for Prime is a couple of bux more, but the advantages far outweigh the cost. Free two day shipping is great. Access to Prime music. I have an Echo so I get all the benefits, including Kindle books. I have an Amazon Firestick for TV so I get all the amazon channels, movies, and music. Plus, if you don't like something or even if you have buyer's remorse you can return something and they pay the shipping back and return your full price AND any shipping costs....no questions asked. If you do a lot of online shopping Prime is WELL worth the $100.00/yr. membership fee. I use mine a lot. I even buy a lot of car parts and speed parts thru Amazon now.

Robadat

Amazon Prime member here, also. If you do a lot of online shopping, Amazon Prime is the way to go. I've completed all of my holiday shopping from the comfort of my living room without dealing with any crowds. Free two day shipping is a wonderful thing. I've saved way more than the annual fee on shipping costs alone. I also use the Prime Movies and Music on my smart Bu-ray player.

livespive

hmmmm,

I guess I guess I know what I am getting myself for my birthday :)

It's Prime Time baby.

Thanks guys,