No April Fool's joke: Tourney bowlers faced 'no food or water' discrimination

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
THEY KNEW THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS BEFORE THEY BOWLED. THEY COULD HAVE STAYED HOME.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
THEY KNEW THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS BEFORE THEY BOWLED. THEY COULD HAVE STAYED HOME.
Dear WAMO:

That was the proprietor's idea. He wanted the bowlers to stay home, but why should the bowlers be denied the right to bowl in their own association's championship tournament?

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
ONLY 2 WOULD HAVE BEEN DENIED. THE OTHER 8 KNEW WHAT THEY WERE GETTING INTO. AND IF YOU LOOK AT THE FLIP SIDE OF THE COIN, THE 2 GUYS THAT WERE BARRED, GOT TO RE-ENTER THE PLACE THEY WERE BARRED FROM. SOUNDS LIKE THEY WON TO ME.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
ONLY 2 WOULD HAVE BEEN DENIED. THE OTHER 8 KNEW WHAT THEY WERE GETTING INTO. AND IF YOU LOOK AT THE FLIP SIDE OF THE COIN, THE 2 GUYS THAT WERE BARRED, GOT TO RE-ENTER THE PLACE THEY WERE BARRED FROM. SOUNDS LIKE THEY WON TO ME.
Dear WAMO:

True, only two of the bowlers were barred ... BUT they both wanted to bowl with the other teammates ... and a few other pertinent facts ...

* I was one of "the other 8" and was asked to bowl by barred member Dale Reed.

* Reed did a great job in "recruitment" of his tournament team. He signed up a black bowler (Clyde Mitchell), and he also signed up myself and Bob McCardle, the other area bowling columnist, ensuring that the fiasco would get sufficient newspaper coverage.

* You indicate that the barred bowlers "won" because they were allowed in the center ... BUT all 10 bowlers were "segregated" from the rest of the tournament bowlers (on the pair against the right-side wall), and they had to bowl nine games without having the opportunity to have any food or beverage (including water). Even friends, wives and family members weren't allowed to sit behind the bowlers and watch.

* Even though only two bowlers were barred, ALL 10 were required to raise their hand and ask permission from a local association or American Bowling Congress official before using the rest room. And to ensure that the bowlers complied, an armed security man was stationed alongside the door of the men's rest room. Throughout the competition, there were two local association officials and an ABC official (Jim Zebehazy) seated behind the pair of lanes, watching the bowlers' every move.

* There was a very short time period between team event and singles/doubles, and in an obvious attempt to humiliate them, they weren't even allowed to remain in the bowling circle between events. Rather, they were forced to change shoes and wait off the bowling center property before being allowed back in to change shoes and resume play.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
THEY SHOULD HAVE STAYED HOME, THEN THERE IS NO PROBLEM. I THINK THE FACT THAT THE CENTER LET THE "2" IN WAS ABOVE AND BEYOND WHAT THEY HAD TO DO. THE ONLY FIASCO WAS THE "2" BOWLERS EVEN SIGNING UP TO BOWL IN A CENTER THEY KNOW THEY ARE BARRED FROM. PERIOD!

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Can someone channel theor inner Paul Harvey and give us "The rest of the story"?

What was the original beef and why were those 2 banned from the center?

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
Can someone channel theor inner Paul Harvey and give us "The rest of the story"?

What was the original beef and why were those 2 banned from the center?
Dear 9andaWiggle:

I certainly can provide "the rest of the story" for you, but I won't have time to give you a complete rundown until sometime Friday. But briefly, both Dale Reed and Kevin Hoeppner were only two of MANY bowlers barred by the proprietor (Dick Hubbard), and both situations involved problems with the local association. Hoeppner was barred because he filed charges against the local association secretary (who was ultimately suspended), and Reed was barred after verbally criticizing local association officials. And on the night that Reed was barred, he was criminally assaulted by Hubbard, who was found guilty of the assault in both criminal and civil court. More later.

toolguru

Total Tool
No, I just can't believe people still put up wirh your act. Sad. I come to this site when I am bored. There is very little to entice one to come here. Like I said, it's all happy bdays to "celebs", RIPs to "celebs", and your retread "musings". More than sad.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
No, I just can't believe people still put up wirh your act. Sad. I come to this site when I am bored. There is very little to entice one to come here. Like I said, it's all happy bdays to "celebs", RIPs to "celebs", and your retread "musings". More than sad.
Dear toolguru:

If that's the case, you must have been "bored" a lot lately, but I'm pleased that some of my posts are worthy of eliciting responses from you. Take care.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
SAME OLD, BOWLING 1 NIGHT A WEEK AT PLANO AND WORKING. WAITING AND HOPING THIS PLACE WOULD LIVEN BACK UP. FEW GOOD FOLKS HERE, WISH SOME OF THE OLD GANG WOULD COME BACK.