Obama's "tax the rich" policies just won't work

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
Barack Hussein Obama's "tax the rich" rhetoric may sound good to some, but in practice and reality, it just won't work.
There is no way that taxing or overtaxing the rich will help or fix anything. In actuality, the combined wealth of the nation's rich people can't even fix the nation's economic/debt problems, so their taxes certainly can't.
What's really needed is to address the laws that pour so much money into the hands of a few. There needs to be more emphasis on ensuring that small- and medium-level businesses can flourish while allowing the real job creators to grow.
However, the reality is that the largest companies have the ability to control markets, raise a lot of money, influence legislation and elections, and pay huge salaries to CEOs who position them to have such awesome power.
The movers and shakers in our government, past and present, want and need large chunks of the money that is used to buy influence, and therefore, much legislation is done in favor of certain ultra-rich entities.
No matter how you look at it, the money spent on U.S. elections is obscene, and that serves no one except a very few -- a rich few. And yet, unfortunately, the conditions exist for these patterns and policies to continue.

Last edited by a moderator:

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
Taxing the rich has never worked. It's a simple thing to do to be envious of those with means so the first thing anyone wants is to "show them rich fucks". It never made sense to me to penalize those who do well. totally absurd in my book.

Spider

China owns 21% of our debt. Japan has 20% of it. BHO bowed to the now dead King of Saud. Money and influence are global. No Keystone pipeline. No Fracking in NY. I doubt these events happened in a vacuum.

To the main point, we have a spending problem more than a tax problem.

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
Spider Man said:
China owns 21% of our debt. Japan has 20% of it. BHO bowed to the now dead King of Saud. Money and influence are global. No Keystone pipeline. No Fracking in NY. I doubt these events happened in a vacuum.

To the main point, we have a spending problem more than a tax problem.

Absolutely. For some odd reason the feds have the idea that they can spend their way out of debt. I dunno. Never worked for me.

Spider

So we are conspiring with the Saudis to keep oil down, to F with Russia and Iran. But we don't want to let it go down too far (thus less leases on public lands, no keystone, etc.)... My question is what happens when China wants to collect in full? Will we give them a state or two? lolz

The tax and spend strategy has Barry at 50% out of 1,500 people polled.

Yep. American's are getting dumber.

Last edited:

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
DOES THE OLD ADAGE OF, "I CANT BE OUT OF MONEY, I STILL HAVE CHECKS" FIT THIS SITUATION?

WAMO MATLOCK said:
DOES THE OLD ADAGE OF, "I CANT BE OUT OF MONEY, I STILL HAVE CHECKS" FIT THIS SITUATION?
Guess so. Think I take Washington's lead and pay off the morgage tomorrow. :)

Last edited:

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
OK. Tax the rich doesn't work. Just for argument's sake, how has "Trickle Down" economics worked? Seems to me it's been nothing but "Trickle Up" economics...

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
THE ONLY THING I SEE OF THE FLOW IS, THE FORTUNATE GET RICHER AND THE LESS FORTUNATE BITCH LOUDER. PRESIDENTS COME AND GO. BUT THE FLOW DOES NOT CHANGE. THE GUY IN THERE NOW ONLY COMPOUNDED THE FLOW. HE CERTAINLY DID NOT HELP THE LESS FORTUNATE AND CERTAINLY DIDNT HURT THE FORTUNATE. THERE WILL BE NO END TO THE FLOW IN OUR LIFETIME.

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
WAMO MATLOCK said:
THE ONLY THING I SEE OF THE FLOW IS, THE FORTUNATE GET RICHER AND THE LESS FORTUNATE BITCH LOUDER. PRESIDENTS COME AND GO. BUT THE FLOW DOES NOT CHANGE. THE GUY IN THERE NOW ONLY COMPOUNDED THE FLOW. HE CERTAINLY DID NOT HELP THE LESS FORTUNATE AND CERTAINLY DIDNT HURT THE FORTUNATE. THERE WILL BE NO END TO THE FLOW IN OUR LIFETIME.
Not sure if you're meaning this the way it sounds or not. But, fortunate is always the proper word when speaking of wealth. Yes, some wealthy people are fortunate. But there are others who have had to toil and struggle their way to riches. I would not call those people fortunate. In fact, I would call them unfortunate if they had an extreme amount of adversity on their way to the top. Also, there are poor people who are no so unfortunate. I've read about countless people that won millions in the lottery and they end up pissing it away to the point of being homeless. This isn't being unfortunate. That's being stupid. Anyhow, I'm just picking nits in your post, and I get your drift. The major problem is clearly the lack of spending control in Washington.