Question for Greg T

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
Cool,

It's a 2007, and it is supposed to run on premium.

So I guess my main question is (seeing as I am an engineer that likes numbers and like to mess things up ;) )
Is there a formula for figuring out the missing amount of octane you need?

Example

If you the octane number from the pump, and then say you find you compression ratio, or if you are in the process of doing work on it
you calculate it, is there something that say that for this vehicle at this compression ratio needs this octane to maintain this compression ratio? Or is it really trial and error with a ballpark figure?

I'm just kind of obsessed with numbers.

Never figured I would be on a bowling site learning about cars :) Thanks for your time, instead just buying the raffle tickets, I'll have to make my way up there :)
I'm sure there is a formula somewhere. But, when the mfgs use the VVT system you'd also have to know exactly what they use for valve timing, not only at a given RPM but also load, which would mean monitoring the manifold vacuum. BUT, it's not even THAT easy when it turns to boosted engine. Obviously, turbo power plants have no vacuum so they have to rely on "boost Referencing" software and sensors under the hood. It's not like it once was. The simple answer to this would be to use a brand name premium for consistency. Then, try one ounce to the gallon of Klotz for a few tanks and see if you notice a difference. It's possible that knock sensors are pulling timing and changing valve events to compensate, so that's why you raise the octane just to test. If there is no noticeable difference in mileage and/or seat of the pants power, your octane needs are being met. With hot rods and N/A engines, it's an entirely different ball game.

livespive

Actually I don't :p

Right after we moved into our subdivision they built a bowling alley that is within walking distance of my house.

It is a shame that I don't really bowl anymore :Cry::Cry::Cry::Cry: Injuries and work.

I said I might go there once on the weekend though.

But as far as driving goes, most of my driving is highway 7-90 MPH at about 2000 RPM.
IT does pretty good, but every little bit helps.

HEY LIVE. YOU HAVE TO DRIVE TO GET TO THE BOWLING CENTER. DUH.