R.I.P., Butch Trucks

Robadat

Butch Trucks, one of the original drummers for the Allman Brothers gone. :(
Butch Trucks, a founding member of the pioneering Southern rock Allman Brothers Band, whom Rolling Stone listed in its rating of the top 100 rock drummers of all time, has died at age 69, the band confirmed Wednesday.

Trucks, who was born Claude Hobson Trucks in 1947, died Tuesday night in West Palm Beach, Florida. No cause of death was reported.

Butch Trucks performs on drums behind Warren Haynes of the Allman Brothers Band in concert in New York in March 2009. Michael Loccisano / Getty Images
Trucks hosted the legendary five-hour meeting of the musicians who would form the Allman Brothers Band at his home in Jacksonville, Florida, in 1969, along with Duane and Gregg Allman, Dickey Betts, Berry Oakley and fellow drummer Jai Johanny Johanson, better known as "Jaimoe."

Duane Allman and Oakley both died in motorcycle accidents in 1971 and 1972, respectively, but the band continued, and it was inducted into the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame in 1995 — its first year of eligibility. Trucks was a member the entire time, until the band broke up in 2014.

"I'm heartbroken," Gregg Allman said Wednesday on Facebook. "I've lost another brother and it hurts beyond words. Butch and I knew each other since we were teenagers and we were bandmates for over 45 years. He was a great man and a great drummer and I'm going to miss him forever. Rest In Peace Brother Butch."