Ryan Newman hurt in Daytona crash

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Damn. Latest update says he is at Halifax in serious condition. Doctors say injuries are not life threatening. He'd probably been fine if the 32 car hadn't hit drivers side door while he was upside down. Not 32's fault, just worst place to be at the time for both of them.

Hope he pulls through without any serious long term life altering injuries.

There's a vid in the article link below.
https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEACkDwZbaYCJAabB_qijk_QqGAgEKg8IACoHCAowhK-LAjD4ySww-9S0BQ?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US:en

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
YEAH, THAT LOOKED BAD. THEY ARE SAYING NOT LIFE THREATING, BUT AS YOU SAID, THEY ARE NOT SAYING NOT LIFE ALTERING. AND THAT ISNT HIS FIRST BAD WRECK AT DAYTONA. DAYTONA 2003 WRECK WAS PRETTY BAD TOO. FLIPPED LIKE 5 TIMES AND CAR ENDED UP ON THE ROOF. THAT ONE HE WALKED AWAY FROM.

Djarum300

Addicted Member
I don't watch Nascar but I'm not sure how this was legal in the sport. He's leading.and then pretty much gets bumped out of the lead.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
I don't watch Nascar but I'm not sure how this was legal in the sport. He's leading.and then pretty much gets bumped out of the lead.
There's a lot of factors at Daytona. Due to the restrictor plate, throttle response is pretty much nil. You lift and you lose 30 spots in about 10 seconds - it's all about momentum and knowing how to use/manipulate airflow around the cars to make speed. With the big spoiler they're running, the lead car has a lot of drag and blows a big hole in the air, so the closing speeds can happen pretty quick when conditions are right. NASCAR's only rule about blocking is that you can't go below the yellow line at Daytona (unlike open wheel series which dictate once the lead car chooses a line to commit to, he must hold it). Thus, nobody lifts, they sidedraft and bump-draft, and everybody blocks. It just is what it is.

Blaney shoved Newman past Hamlin into the lead. It looked like Hamlin then got a run on Blaney, who went up to block and got a shot in the ass from Hamlin (both cars got a little squirrely from it). That shot boosted Blaney up to Newman, who threw his own block when Blaney tried to go low. Basically, two cars were trying to be in the same spot at the same time, and a mis-aligned bump from Blaney sent Newman into the wall.

I don't like the Daytona and Talladegs tracks. Just not the style of racing I enjoy. Give me the OLD Bristol or Martinsville - short track beating, banging, and gouging for every position! But there wasn't anything foul about this - just a typical racing incident for a plate race.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
SPOT ON 9. AND NEWMAN IS WELL KNOWN FOR NOT GETTING OUT OF THE WAY OF FASTER CARS. ITS JUST A BAD SITUATION AT THOSE SPEEDS. BUT...THEY ALL KNOW WHATS COMING. IF THEY TAKE A CERTAIN ACTION, THEY MAY NOT LIKE THE REACTION. I HOPE NEWMAN COMES BACK JUST AS GOOD AS EVER, BUT ITS HIGH SPEED RACING.

I WAS AT THE TRACK AT TEXAS WHEN THE CART CAR DRIVERS WERE PASSING OUT IN THE TURNS. TO MUCH G-FORCE. THAT WAS SOMETHING TO SEE.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
I was at the Texas Cup race back in April '98, when they all wrecked on the first lap going into turn 1. Mark Martin went on to win that one.

We didn't have tickets to the Busch race the day before, but Dale Jr won that one, which I believe was his first Busch series win.

I think Indycar there is insane... but would like to go see it one of these days!

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
THEY HAD TO REMAKE THE TRACK. IT WAS INSANE WATCHING THE FIRST COUPLA YEARS. WE HAD A MOTOR HOME ON THE INFIELD FOR THE FIRST 12 YEARS. WE GOT THERE ON WEDNESDAY AND IT WAS 1 LONG PARTY THRU THE RACE ON SUNDAY. WE WOULD MAKE ALL 3 RACES EVERY YEAR. WE WERE THERE THE YEAR THE GUY GOT T-BONED ON THE FRONT STRETCH AND DIED IN THE CRASH. LOTS OF STORIES FROM THOSE DAYS. NAKED GIRLS. BOOBS EVERYWHERE...AND TITS. GUYS FALLING OFF MOTOR HOMES. ONE GIANT PARTY!!!!

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Just saw this update on jayski.com:

Tuesday afternoon update from Roush Fenway Racing: "Ryan Newman remains under the care of doctors at Halifax Medical Center in Daytona Beach, Florida. He is awake and speaking with family and doctors.

Ryan and his family have expressed their appreciation for the concern and heartfelt messages from across the country. Their are grateful for the unwavering support of the NASCAR community and beyond.

We will continue to provide information as it becomes available."

REVerse °

Addicted Member
I was telling my wife about how Newman is the best “blocker” on the track. The dude has eyes in the back of his head. With that said- blocking can get you killed at Daytona. Look at what happened to Dale Sr.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
I was telling my wife about how Newman is the best “blocker” on the track. The dude has eyes in the back of his head. With that said- blocking can get you killed at Daytona. Look at what happened to Dale Sr.
True. Initial impact appear similar (based on my 19 year old recollection), but Dale's car stayed om the ground and didn't flip.

I was really glad to hear Ryan was talking with Drs and family, I was afraid he might have been like Schumacher due to head trauma.

I had a twisted thought run through my mind last night. It was Ryan Newman doing an interview, and in it he quipped about how Corey LaJoie throws a MUCH harder punch through the window than Clint Bowyer. lol

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
WHEN DALE SR DIED, STERLING MARLIN RECIEVED DEATH THREATS FOR MONTHS AFTER THAT WRECK.

REVerse °

Addicted Member
Ya know Rusty Wallace was right there with Sterling as well. It was just a freak accident. Can’t really point fingers. Simpson Race Products was threatened, too.

I cried hard that day. I miss Dale.

Good Times Good Times

I cried hard that day. I miss Dale.
^^^^ I remember as well.

Thank goodness Newman is alive, hope he makes as good a recovery as possible.

I tried to explain to my wife that "feeling" in the air when Dale (who was my Dad's dude!) passed......it's so difficult to explain. As they went off the air I sort of felt that vibe again looking at Mike Joy and Jeff Gordon. I did NOT like that feeling AT ALL!

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
I saw somewhere else it was mentioned he had some bleeding in front of his head, and bruising on front and left side of his head. Not sure if that's true, but everything below is "official" and looks like good news!

Link to update - where I got info below

Wednesday afternoon update from Roush Fenway Racing: Ryan Newman has been released from Halifax Medical Center.

Wednesday morning update: "Ryan Newman continues to show great improvement after Monday night's last-lap accident at Daytona International Speedway.

The veteran driver is fully alert and walking around Halifax Medical Center. True to his jovial nature, he has also been joking around with the staff, friends and family while spending time playing with his two daughters."
newman-2020-02-19.jpg