State opening up

Djarum300

Addicted Member
So everyone (social media) here is losing their minds as Alabama has opened up. We have had an increase in daily cases since the first of May when some things were opened up and the following week when restaurants opened.

3 specific counties (Mobile, Montgomery, and Jefferson/Birmingham) were seeing a significant increase in cases before May 1 and the week after that are not attributed to opening up. Montgomery officials contributed their cases mostly to leave lockdown fatigue and many block/house parties. But of course it's because of the greed of the State opening up right?

The reality is that the longer the lockdown in more suburban and rural states the less effective lockdowns are.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Was there actually increased infection rate, or did they just start testing (and finding) more? The media has been going apeshit about cases "exploding" in TX (the very next day after we loosened regulations - for a virus that supposedly takes 2 weeks +/- to incubate), but it is due to many more people being tested and the positive rates were in line with what was expected as a % of those being tested. The media is so full of shit.

I'll tell you what I experienced this weekend. We went to an RV park with some friends, did some wine tours, and took the ladies shopping in a touristy little town. The RV park was full of rigs sporting TRUMP 2020 flags. On the wine tour (we took a shuttle - which was limited to 50% capacity and every other seat roped off). Wineries were restricted to the # of people they could let in. Businesses and restaurants too. But outside didn't matter, so sidewalks were jammed with people. The tour buses (and wineries) were usually at their reduced capacity. I saw, in total for 3 days, 10 people wearing masks. Social distancing was pretty much ignored. Everyone we talked to thought the operating standards were bullshit and felt sorry for the businesses/employees (who were usually apologizing profusely for the inconveniences forced upon them/us). Everyone was patient, after all it's not their fault - we were all happy to support those who were still open. On the way home we stopped at Buccee's (if you haven't been to one, think Pilot travel center that is more touristy, cleaner, and has more bathrooms/fuel pumps) and HOLY SHIT! That place was absolutely packed! Again, I might have seen a half dozen facemasks, but if anyone was 6 foot from another person it was purely by accident. This place is usually very busy, but it was more so.

The point of sharing this? It tells me people are done with this Covid bullshit. Nobody gives a fuck about the media's little disaster anymore. It's become just another "WOLF" story to people just like everything else in the media. It's no more than the latest massive snow storm or hurricane (which happens a few times every year) that's supposed to kill everyone in its path. People are done being held prisoner in their own homes. People are done living in fear. It's time to move on to the next exaggerated tragedy that will be hyped for profit or political influence.

By the way, I did the math. 100,000 deaths / 7.8 BILLION people in the world = 0.00128205% of the world population decreased due to this virus. I think man will survive.

Last edited:

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
Was ther actually increased infection rate, or did they just start testing (and finding) more? The media has been going apeshit about cases "exploding" in TX (the very next day after we loosened refulations - for a virus that supposedly takes 2 weeks +/- to incubate), but it is due to many more people beimg tested and the positive rests were in line with what was expected as a % of those being tested. The media is so full of shit.

I'll tell hou what I experiences this weekend. We went to an RV park with some friends, did some wine tours, and took the ladies shopping in a touristy little town. The RV park was full of rigs sporting TRUMP 2020 flags. On the wine tour (we took a shuttle - which was limited to 50% capacity and overy other seat roped off). Wineries were restricted to the # of people they could let in. Businesses and restaurants too. But outside didn't matter, so sidewalks were jammed with people. The tour buses (and wineries) were usually at their reduced capacity. I saw, in total for 3 days, 10 people wearimg masks. Social distancing was pretty much ignored. Everyone thought the operating standards were bullshit and felt sorry for the businesses/employees. Everyone was patient, after all it's not their fault - we were all happy to support those who were still open. On the way home we stopped at Buccee's (if you haven't been to one, think Pilot travel center that is more touristy, cleaner, and has more bathrooms) amd HOLY SHIT! That place was absolutely packed! Again, I might have seen a half dozen facemasks, but if anyone was 6 foot from another person it was purely by accident. This place is usually very busy, but it was more so.

The point of sharing this? It tells me people are done with this Covid bullshit. Nobody gives a fuck about the media's little disaster anymore. It's become just another "WOLF" story to people just like everything else in the media. It's no more than the latest massive snow storm or hurricane (which happens a few times every year) that's supposed to kill everyone in its path. People are done being held prisoner in their own homes. People are done living in fear. It's time to move on to the next exaggerated tragedy that will be hyped for profit or political influence.

By the way, I did the math. 100,000 deaths / 7.8 BILLION people in the world = 0.00128205% of the world population decreased due to this virus. I think man will survive.
But to get the true death rate you have to compare the number deaths with the number of actual infections. Imagine what that would be if all numbers were reported accurately.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
But to get the true death rate you have to compare the number deaths with the number of actual infections. Imagine what that would be if all numbers were reported accurately.
We all know the true death rate is and will forever be a tainted number, inaccurate due to shady dealings to pump up numbers either for the press or for hospital profit. The media has been pushing the 100,000 number for shock value lately, so I put it up against the only other number that is valid and matters - total population. The worst case scenario, using the media's own bloated death count is 0.0012% of the world population that is dead due to this new disease. While it is horrible for those directly affected by it, I don't think it's anywhere near worth destroying every economy in the world over.

On edit, worldwide total is 350,000, which puts overall impact to the world at 0.004487%. Still not justification for destroying world economy. UNICEF says 392,000 babies were born on New Year's Day 2020...

Last edited:

Djarum300

Addicted Member
9~

Before Alabama opened up TN had sort of soft opened certain things about two weeks ago. We went to a winery near Cookeville, TN and while no one was inside except for one couple, it was fine. We then took a short trip down to Short Mountain Distillery to pick up "curbside" a couple of bottles of "apple pie" moonshine.

Now, we stopped to stretch our legs out at a marina which was slammed. Most families did appear to be social distancing. We also went into a few gas stations where no one was social distancing at all.

I do believe the virus is very real and the death rates are high for those who get it, especially those who are elderly. At the same time, I believe that businesses can operate with social distancing measures in place and reduce the risk. But what i'm seeing are block parties, house parties, and then many "gatherings" outside of businesses where people aren't social distancing.

Paul Finely, the mayor of the city of Madison, specifically said, you can't legislate "I don't care".

The point I'm trying to drive home with folks locally and at the state is that if opening up was such a huge deal, then why has my county of 400K seen a steady 4 or 5 new cases a day, even after we opened up? According to the media, shouldn't they have doubled? Tripled?

Similar sized counties like Montgomery and Mobile have been seeing 40 to 80 new cases a day even before we opened back up.

The argument will always be that we should strive to "0" new cases a day. That is just unrealistic until a vaccine is made.

And simply, no amount of lockdown can legislate " I don't care".

We are very concerned as TG's mom is in a nursing home, which luckily hasn't, that we know of, had any cases. We are doing the things we still want or need to do but we are doing them safely. We don't need the government to tell us what to do. We were able to get ourselves some KN95 masks which aren't as good as N95 but are close so that TG could get her hair done and her nails done. The hairstylist had a face shield on and a KN95 mask on as well.

Tommy Battle, the Huntsville city Mayor, said explicitly : " You don't feel safe in a restaurant? Salon? Leave. Let the loss of business to the owners send a message to them that they aren't taking enough safety measures."

In my own estimation, after going to Lowes and HD this weekend, was that the Lockdown had the adverse effect of sending everyone to HD, lowes, and walmart as that was the only thing to do as hardly anyone was in HD or Lowes in comparison to just a few weeks before we opened back up.

Djarum300

Addicted Member
We all know the true death rate is and will forever be a tainted number, inaccurate due to shady dealings to pump up numbers either for the press or for hospital profit. The media has been pushing the 100,000 number for shock value lately, so I put it up against the only other number that is valid and matters - total population. The worst case scenario, using the media's own bloated death count is 0.0012% of the world population that is dead due to this new disease. While it is horrible for those directly affected by it, I don't think it's anywhere near worth destroying every economy in the world over.

On edit, worldwide total is 350,000, which puts overall impact to the world at 0.004487%. Still not justification for destroying world economy. UNICEF says 392,000 babies were born on New Year's Day 2020...
What we really won't know for months or even years are the deaths related to the Lockdown. How many suicides? Loss of healthcare coverage? Procedures that were delayed months?

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
DJ, not to be insensitive as my Grandmother is in a nursing home as well as my wife's father, but... how do I say this... either of them could die any day regardless of whether Covid exists or not. My grandma has been ready to go for years, and vocalizes every time we see her "I don't know why God leaves me here, I'm just an old woman who isn't doing anybody any good."

So I don't think keeping these people from family/friends (lockdown) does them or their families any good. We all have limited time on earth, and they are most likely closer to the end of their allotted time, so they don't have as many days left to waste being away from family in a lockdown. We all know the score. All we can do is take some basic steps to prevent transmission - things we should or already do in regards to cold/flu season (I personally don't agree with masks being one of them - especially when the lady that cuts my hair says she gets wicked bad headaches if she works more than 5 hours wearing the mask - that can't be good for her health).

My personal opinion, it is better to live as we have all along than to tragically allow our loved ones to die alone out of fear of this virus. Or worse, to destroy everything and leave no way for those who survive to support themselves. I accept that some disagree, but forcing others to alter their lives is inhumane - each family/individual should be able to choose how they wish to proceed.

If one wants to close their business or seclude themselves, by all means go ahead. Wish to wear a mask? Fine. But don't force anyone else to do so. One change that should be made, IMO... Employers should not limit sick time off, and where possible should make it easier to work from home. Basically, employees should be able to use paid time off (or vacation days) for themselves to help their psychological health. They should be encouraged to stay home with cold/flu symptoms and not penalized for it - this makes it less likely they will come in and infect others because, let's face it nobody wants to waste one of their few, coveted vacation days on being sick. It will make management work a bit more to determine if an employee is abusing the system, but deadbeat employees are usually obvious and if your star employees sneak a couple extra unwarranted days, who cares? They're getting their jobs done and are still a benefit to the company!

Djarum300

Addicted Member
TGs mother is in ok health but she went down hill a few years ago after a tumor was removed from her brain. I'm more worried about my father who isn't in a home with COPD.

Local news reports that 136 homes in Alabama have at least one case. Most nursing homes don't have the PPE so that employees don't bring it in because nursing homes have been closed down since mid March.

Many nursing homes here are short term care or recovery and therapy care before they go back home for relatively healthy people.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
TGs mother is in ok health but she went down hill a few years ago after a tumor was removed from her brain. I'm more worried about my father who isn't in a home with COPD.

Local news reports that 136 homes in Alabama have at least one case. Most nursing homes don't have the PPE so that employees don't bring it in because nursing homes have been closed down since mid March.

Many nursing homes here are short term care or recovery and therapy care before they go back home for relatively healthy people.
My FIL is in for Alzheimer's. They've allowed his wife to visit, but she has to stay outside and talk to him through a window. It's been extremely difficult for both of them. He doesn't understand what's going on, she does and can't be with him to comfort him. It's a horrible disease on its own without being compounded by this.

Definitely don't blame you for being extra vigilant for your Dad. The whole situation is just crap for everyone.

Djarum300

Addicted Member
My dad lives down in Florida. Hes going to do what he wants regardless. He's almost 75 and he pretty much doesn't care.

I still think he will have a heart attacks while stuffing his face with fried shrimp and a cigarette in his hand.