This ban I could go along with.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
Companies should be allowed to prohibit staff from wearing the Islamic headscarf but only as part of a general ban on religious and political symbols, an adviser to the European Court of Justice said on Tuesday.
Makes sense.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
But... if they're going to generally ban religious and political symbols, then there can not be company recognized holidays either, because they are all religious or political in nature.

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
But... if they're going to generally ban religious and political symbols, then there can not be company recognized holidays either, because they are all religious or political in nature.
Exactly what I meant in my post. No visible crosses around peoples necks, no beanies, etc.

born1

Exactly. Instead of 2 weeks vacation, you get 3.

livespive

Yup, it is a can of worms.......

I just never get it, if people are against Muslims, let them wear the hijab, that way you know who they are.
Once they are off, you will not know who they are (Meaning if they are Muslim).

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
In America? Not likely. They'll just leave you at whatever vacation you currently get and simply take away the holidays.
I retired from the newspaper business -- full-time, at least -- about a decade ago, but the newspaper was extremely generous in its vacation and holiday policy. Prior to retirement, I was receiving six full weeks of vacation, plus holiday days for Christmas, New Year's, Memorial Day, July Fourth, Labor Day and Thanksgiving. Not only that, employees received a day off (any day) during their birthday month and another day off (any day) during their anniversary (of hiring) month, and if they donated the equivalent of one hour's pay per month to United Way, still another day off was in order.

livespive

6 weeks!!!!!! Hell I would have never left.

I retired from the newspaper business -- full-time, at least -- about a decade ago, but the newspaper was extremely generous in its vacation and holiday policy. Prior to retirement, I was receiving six full weeks of vacation, plus holiday days for Christmas, New Year's, Memorial Day, July Fourth, Labor Day and Thanksgiving. Not only that, employees received a day off (any day) during their birthday month and another day off (any day) during their anniversary (of hiring) month, and if they donated the equivalent of one hour's pay per month to United Way, still another day off was in order.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
6 weeks!!!!!! Hell I would have never left.
Dear livespive:

Actually, I didn't have a choice. In the year 2007, the newspaper started the first in a series of massive layoffs, and I was due to be on the "chopping block" -- in part, because I was already 66 years old at the time, although the cutbacks also included many people much younger than I.

However, rather than being abruptly terminated, I was offered a "buyout" that provided me with six-months full-scale pay, even though I no longer would be actually working. And even after the end of full-time work, I did continue on a part-time basis as a "correspondent" who wrote bowling columns and filled in as a copy editor in the sports department on weekends.

Unlike many of my younger co-workers who were fired/dismissed, it didn't effect me that much, because I was seriously thinking about retiring, anyway. But in further layoffs in 2011, I was dismissed from my bowling column and part-time copy editing duties as well.

livespive

Yeah, that downsizing thing sucks. It got me as well.

Dear livespive:

Actually, I didn't have a choice. In the year 2007, the newspaper started the first in a series of massive layoffs, and I was due to be on the "chopping block" -- in part, because I was already 66 years old at the time, although the cutbacks also included many people much younger than I.

However, rather than being abruptly terminated, I was offered a "buyout" that provided me with six-months full-scale pay, even though I no longer would be actually working. And even after the end of full-time work, I did continue on a part-time basis as a "correspondent" who wrote bowling columns and filled in as a copy editor in the sports department on weekends.

Unlike many of my younger co-workers who were fired/dismissed, it didn't effect me that much, because I was seriously thinking about retiring, anyway. But in further layoffs in 2011, I was dismissed from my bowling column and part-time copy editing duties as well.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Yeah, that downsizing thing sucks. It got me as well.
The company that fired my wife preferred to call it "Right-Sizing". I worked at the same company, and it pissed me off to sit through their town hall meetings and listen to the CEO brag about how profitable we were, then lament about the $100 million sitting in the bank they didn't know what to do with (but they didn't want to give it back to the investors either) while 50 people just lost their jobs. :mad:

That guys was a prick. Nothing at all like the men who founded the company. They were great! Too bad they retired. But... glad as hell I'm not there any more.