WAMO...HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
Just an electrical question for ya. I have a GFCI receptacle in my kitchen. Last night I noticed the toaster didn't work. All the breakers are good and the rest of the receptacles in the room work. The green light is on but there is no power in that outlet. Also, can't press either the test or reset buttons. Nothing happens.
Ever see one go bad and still have the green light on? Thanx, buddy.

Robadat

You dont need a fuckin electrician to tell you the damn thing is broke. :)

And, yes, I have had gfci's do that. Pulled one apart once and it was an internal mechanical failure.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Have you tried sticking a paper clip or any other small, metal object in it to be sure? :Eek::p

Just kidding DO NOT DO THAT for anyone on the webs that sees it and thinks this tip is legit. IT'S NOT - YOU'LL WIND UP HURT OR DEAD.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
YOUR GOING TO LISTEN TO A RETIRED COP AND A SHEEP LOVER! :Roflmao:
YES SIR, IT COULD BE BAD. JUST TO DOUBLE CHECK IT THOUGH, PLUG SOMETHING ELSE IN AND SEE IF IT WORKS, TOASTER COULD BE BAD.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
SOMETIMES THE BUTTONS CANT BE FINGER PUSHED. THEY NEED SOMETHING FLAT TO PUSH IN ON THEM, LIKE A SCREWDRIVER. SOME RESET REAL EASY, SOME DONT.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
AND SORRY FOR BEING LATE G. DIDNT COME IN THIS MORNING. HOPE YOU GOT YOUR TOAST!

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
YOUR GOING TO LISTEN TO A RETIRED COP AND A SHEEP LOVER! :Roflmao:
YES SIR, IT COULD BE BAD. JUST TO DOUBLE CHECK IT THOUGH, PLUG SOMETHING ELSE IN AND SEE IF IT WORKS, TOASTER COULD BE BAD.
Probed it with a Fluke. Green light is on but zero power out.

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
THEY ARE PRETTY EASY TO INSTALL. I CAN TALK YOU THRU IT IF YOU WANT TO TRY.
I've installed hundreds over the years. I just never saw one go bad and still show green. I've had them fail before, but they've either gone dead or the indicator was red. I ordered a couple of hospital grade ones so I can have a spare. Not going to a hardware or electric store. Thanx, Bud!!!

livespive

Another thing to try is resetting all of the gfcis in the house. Sometimes groups of them are on a circuit.
my wife’s hands were dripping when she was doing something in the downstairs bathroom. She heard a small tick and the outlet stopped working. I looked in the basement at the box and reset the breaker and checked the gfcis in the kitchen nothing. I had to go upstairs and reset the in the guest bath and master bathroom. Bingo we have power.

livespive

Also like WAMO said some manufacturers have a built in safety where you have to push the button in so far that it’s too far for your fingers to get in.

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
Also like WAMO said some manufacturers have a built in safety where you have to push the button in so far that it’s too far for your fingers to get in.
Yeah, I used an electronics diddle stick to push the buttons. Nothing happens. Doesn't reset and can't trip it with the test button.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
ALL THE NEW ONES HAVE A SELF TEST FEATURE ON THEM. THEY WILL TRIP THEMSELVES TO MAKE SURE THEY ARE WORKING PROPERLY. ITS NOT UNHEARD OF THAT THEY GO BAD, EVEN SOONER THAN YOU WOULD THINK. ESPECIALY ONE THAT GETS USED ON A DAILY BASIS. HEAT FROM A TOASTER, MICROWAVE, COFFEE POT, ETC, WILL DAMAGE THE GFCI DEVICES FASTER THAN A STANDARD OUTLET.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
ALL THE NEW ONES HAVE A SELF TEST FEATURE ON THEM. THEY WILL TRIP THEMSELVES TO MAKE SURE THEY ARE WORKING PROPERLY. ITS NOT UNHEARD OF THAT THEY GO BAD, EVEN SOONER THAN YOU WOULD THINK. ESPECIALY ONE THAT GETS USED ON A DAILY BASIS. HEAT FROM A TOASTER, MICROWAVE, COFFEE POT, ETC, WILL DAMAGE THE GFCI DEVICES FASTER THAN A STANDARD OUTLET.
Are gfci breakers in the box connected to regular outlets at the wall be more durable than gfci outlets at the wall?

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
GOOD LUCK WITH THE FAN DJ. TURN THE WALL SWITCH OFF. IF ITS A REMOTE CONTROLED FAN, MAKE SURE THE WALL SWITCH IS ON AFTER YOU INSTALL IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.