When was the last time you rolled a ball?

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Part of the problem is choice. One center burned down a few years ago and another closed down. I live in a city of 180k with a metro of 500k and we only have two centers. We have a fun/recreational center but no leagues. We also have one in base that's prey nice but wierd hours.
Why is it never the "entertainment" centers that burn/close? :(

As noted, I'm kinda in the same boat. I had found an older, established house (32 lanes) that was close and looked promising for league, but it closed over the first summer we were here. I only got to open bowl there a few times before it closed. There's a ton of people here too, and something like 144+ combined lane beds in the 2 centers that are within 2 miles of my house - but it's all glowbowl, birthday parties, and arcade games.:Frown:

Djarum300

Addicted Member
I'm of the opinion, at least around here, that the oligarchy of the local associations, league secretaries, and house managers/owners pretty much ran everyone out.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
It's amazing how important non-important people can convince themselves they are. If that makes any sense. lol Funny to think of a bowling alley being as full of uptight and self-important douchebags as Bushwood, but there have been a few...

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
I'm of the opinion, at least around here, that the oligarchy of the local associations, league secretaries, and house managers/owners pretty much ran everyone out.
That's what happened here. I was the pres for a short term and when I didn't like the way things were going I told everyone what I thought. They fought me even harder til I walked. Plus the fact that every fucking year the house raised the fees $1.00 a line. When I was injured and had to quit we were paying $15.00 a night. Hate to see what it is now.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
IN DALLAS, ONLY ONE CENTER IN THE CITY LIMITS. 58 LANES. OPENED AS DON CARTER WEST BACK IN THE 80'S. THE ONLY BOWLING CENTER LEFT IN DALLAS TEXAS! THERE ARE A COUPLE OF FUN CENTERS, BUT ONLY ONE BOWLING CENTER. SAD.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
THE OWNERS AND BALL MANUFACTURERS PRETTY MUCH RUN BOWLING NOW. NOT THE ORGINIZATIONS. THE LAST LEAGUE I BOWLED IN DALLAS, VERY HIGH END LEAGUE, $35 PER NITE. BOWLING IN LONGVIEW NOW. 32 LANER FULL HOUSE ON TUESDAY NIGHTS, $15 PER NITE.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
IN DALLAS, ONLY ONE CENTER IN THE CITY LIMITS. 58 LANES. OPENED AS DON CARTER WEST BACK IN THE 80'S. THE ONLY BOWLING CENTER LEFT IN DALLAS TEXAS! THERE ARE A COUPLE OF FUN CENTERS, BUT ONLY ONE BOWLING CENTER. SAD.
Dear WAMO:

I used to bowl at Cotton Bowl and Bronco Bowl when I was in Dallas years ago, so obviously those two centers have "bitten the dust"?

Djarum300

Addicted Member
That's what happened here. I was the pres for a short term and when I didn't like the way things were going I told everyone what I thought. They fought me even harder til I walked. Plus the fact that every fucking year the house raised the fees $1.00 a line. When I was injured and had to quit we were paying $15.00 a night. Hate to see what it is now.
When I left 5 years ago our league with little payout was 18. 12 went to the house.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
When I left 5 years ago our league with little payout was 18. 12 went to the house.
The bitch of it is I can see both sides (my dad used to run a little 8 lane house). Heat/Cool/Lights/Water, plus the investment in the real estate and equipment, payroll, taxes, maintenance, insurance... it all adds up pretty quick. Even at $4 a line I doubt they were getting rich.

On the other hand, as a bowler $4 a game seems expensive.

Let's drill down and break it out. What does a frame take to bowl? A half minute for a strike? 90 seconds if you have to shoot a spare? If my math is right, then;

A 300 game would take 30 seconds * 12 rolls = 360 seconds, or 6 minutes.

$4 (400 cents) / 6 minutes = 66.67 cents per minute. $0.6667 per minute * 60 minutes = $40 per hour.

A 300 game will cost you $40 per hour, to put it into a context we can all relate to.

A 150 game (5/ every frame) would take you 90 seconds for 10 spares, plus 30 seconds for the fill ball. So 90 * 10 + 30 = 930 seconds or 15.5 minutes.

400 cents / 15.5 minutes = 25.81 cents per minute. $0.2581 per minute * 60 minutes = $15.49 per hour.

A 150 game will cost you $15.49 per hour. A total bargain considering you got to play almost twice as much (21 throws vs. 12) for only 38% of the cost ($15.49 vs. $40).

Now then, doesn't $4 a game sound a bit more reasonable? :Confused::Laugh:

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
THEY NEVER GOT RICH ON THE LINEAGE, ITS THE BEER AND FOOD. AND THEY HAVE ALL SHUT DOWN THE NURSERIES. SO THROW BABYSITTER COST INTO LINEAGE AND ITS THRU THE ROOF. GAS TO GET THERE. WEAR AND TEAR ON VEHICLE. BOWLING EQUIPMENT COST. IT HAS JUST GOTTEN TO EXPENSIVE FOR THE NORMAL JOE BOWLER. AND NOW YOU GET 1 300 OR 800 AWARD FOR LIFE. NOT BIG ENTICEMENT FACTORS THERE.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
YEAH AW. BRONCO AND COTTON PALACE. MY SECOND 300 GAME CAME AT COTTON PALACE. BOTH GONE.

Djarum300

Addicted Member
The bitch of it is I can see both sides (my dad used to run a little 8 lane house). Heat/Cool/Lights/Water, plus the investment in the real estate and equipment, payroll, taxes, maintenance, insurance... it all adds up pretty quick. Even at $4 a line I doubt they were getting rich.

On the other hand, as a bowler $4 a game seems expensive.

Let's drill down and break it out. What does a frame take to bowl? A half minute for a strike? 90 seconds if you have to shoot a spare? If my math is right, then;

A 300 game would take 30 seconds * 12 rolls = 360 seconds, or 6 minutes.

$4 (400 cents) / 6 minutes = 66.67 cents per minute. $0.6667 per minute * 60 minutes = $40 per hour.

A 300 game will cost you $40 per hour, to put it into a context we can all relate to.

A 150 game (5/ every frame) would take you 90 seconds for 10 spares, plus 30 seconds for the fill ball. So 90 * 10 + 30 = 930 seconds or 15.5 minutes.

400 cents / 15.5 minutes = 25.81 cents per minute. $0.2581 per minute * 60 minutes = $15.49 per hour.

A 150 game will cost you $15.49 per hour. A total bargain considering you got to play almost twice as much (21 throws vs. 12) for only 38% of the cost ($15.49 vs. $40).

Now then, doesn't $4 a game sound a bit more reasonable? :Confused::Laugh:
Lineage never bothered me. What bothered me was the house catering more towards open bowlers than taking care of it's consistent revenue stream of league bowlers.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
Dear Djarum:

I can certainly identify with that. In 1980, more than 95% of local leagues were sanctioned, but less than 10 year later (and ever since), less than half of leagues sanctioned -- due in great part to massive corruption (including financial misdeeds) by local association officials. And we had proprietors who did, indeed, "run people out."

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
YEAH AW. BRONCO AND COTTON PALACE. MY SECOND 300 GAME CAME AT COTTON PALACE. BOTH GONE.
Dear WAMO:

What happened to Bronco Bowl? I thought that it was an amazing all-around facility. I even got a haircut (at an in-center barber shop) there once.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
Lineage never bothered me. What bothered me was the house catering more towards open bowlers than taking care of it's consistent revenue stream of league bowlers.
Dear Djarum300:

As years passed, too many proprietors not only catered more to open bowlers as compared to league bowlers, they also put more emphasis on cosmic bowling and birthday parties.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
BRONCO SHUT DOWN, THEN REOPENED FOR A SHORT TIME. THEY HAD ALL THE SAME THINGS AS MOST CENTERS. BUT ALSO HAD; ARCHERY RANGE, DRIVING RANGE, BARBER SHOP AND A FEW OTHER NON TYPICAL THINGS TO DO. I HAVE NOT BEEN IN THAT AREA IN A FEW YEARS, BUT I BELIEVE IT IS NOW A HOME DEPOT.
COTTON PALACE CLOSED DOWN MANY MANY YEARS AGO AND BECAME PART OF A CHEVROLET PARTS ANNEX. IT IS NOW A LOWES.

bbfreeburn

November of 2017. Fifth frame, game 1. First ball left 5 pins standing, could barely walk off the lane. Haven't touched a ball since. Hip problems, knee problems, neuropathy/numbness. When my eyes get back to normal (after cataract surgery) I'm thinking of trying again.