Your oldest vs. My newest

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Been a while since I've bowled league, and I got to thinking about the equipment I have in the closet. Keep in mind I'm a hack, never was or will be regional pro material, although I technically did avg. high enough to buy the card and participate as a donor - if I'd chosen to do so. Anyway, what's the oldest ball in your closet? My newest is a Dynothane High Energy (actually won that one here on AB in a raffle back in 2005 maybe?). Also have from about the same time a RotoGrip Sonic X Solid, Ebonite Stinger LF, and a Lane1 XXXL. Oldest would be... a Pink Hammer from 1991 or 1992, and / or Columbia Vector One. I don't recall the exact year/order I got these, but I think the Hammer is older by a year or so.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robadat

The oldest I currently still have around is a Columbia Wine U-dot, think I originally bought it around '86. Last used it this past summer, in league on dry lanes, threw a 224 game with it.
The newest I have is an Ebonite Hardball, bought in '10. Still using it on a regular basis.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Funny, wasn't the Wine U-Dot marketed as a med/heavy oil ball back in the day?

Robadat

9andawiggle 2 said: Funny, wasn't the Wine U-Dot marketed as a med/heavy oil ball back in the day?
Don't remember exactly, but it was a lot stronger than whatever else I had back then. I remember shooting a couple of 279 games with it, both times leaving a 9 pin in the ninth frame...I'm a lefty...

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
I HAVE 4 5P BLEEDERS UNDRILLED. MARX X UNDRILLED, BUT NOW RIPPLED. IMPACT KE21 UNDRILLED. 2 ORIGINAL PLASTIC ROTO GRIPS UNDRILLED, 1 BLUE AND 1 BROWN. 1 SUR D UNDRILLED. 1 BLUE DOT UNDRILLED. I THROW HYPER CELL AND CRUX. ALL 16LB.

MI2AZ

Oldest drilled I have laying around is a Brunswick 8583, circa 1970-74?

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Your grampa leave that to you, MI2AZ? Didn't think you were old enough to have rolled with something of that vintage.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Dang Wamo, thanks for the history lesson! lol Had to google some of those.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
LOL. I HAD AN UNDRILLED AMBURGEY, BUT I CANT FIND IT NOW. THEY WERE THE HARDEST BALL EVER MADE. THEY WOULD PUNCH OUT AT 95 OR HARDER. HAVE A FEW MANHATTAN RUBBERS, ALL DRILLED THOUGH. DAMN, I AM OLD.

MI2AZ

I started bowling youth leagues in 1963. I'm ancient, not old.

stc067

The oldest ball I have is an Ebonite Firebolt from about 1985 or so. The next oldest would be my V-2.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Man, turns out I'm the young punk around these parts. I'll try to stay off your lawns!! :p '85 was probably about the first time I ever bowled...

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
V2 WAS AN EXCELLENT BALL! GREAT CARRY FOR BACK IN THA DAY.

Wamo,
I also have an undrilled Sur d and I just gave a buddy of mine an undrilled KE21, it's from the first release the ones that left black marks on the lane. I took off work the day they were released and bought one, the pro shop sold 2 more and this one is the last of the first case he had. When he closed in the early 90's he called me in and gave me the ball.
Going through my junk I found a Natural light beer ball, I drilled but I don't ever remember using it and it looks new, I think they were relabeled Tommy Hudson LT51's, I used to have a Ripley not sure where it is.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
I REMEMBER THE BLACK MARKS. THEN THE NEXT PRODUTION THE CORES WOULD SEPERATE FROM THE SHELL. I HAVE A RIPLEY BUT ITS RUINED. GOT IT FROM A GUY WHO SOAKED IT IN ACETONE AND IT TURNED WHITE. REMEMBER THE COMMERCIAL FOR THE KE21? SHOWED IT GOING THRU 3 FULL RACKS OF PINS AT THE SAME TIME. THE LT51'S WERE BLUE WERENT THEY? I HAVE AN OLD WOODEN BALL I INHERITADE FROM MY DAD. THEY ORIGINALLY ONLY HAD THUMB HOLE AND 1 FINGER HOLE. FROM THAT TO 2 HANDS NOW. WHATS NEXT!?

stc067

WAMO MATLOCK said:
V2 WAS AN EXCELLENT BALL! GREAT CARRY FOR BACK IN THA DAY.

The V2 is still a great ball for a light volume house shot. It smooths out wet/dry, and doesn't over react.