86 People Killed Past Two Years Carrying Fake Guns

MI2AZ

Tamir Rice was one of the highest-profile examples of a person carrying a fake weapon who was gunned down by cops, but as the Washington Post reports in an exclusive, he was far from the only one. Those statistics, per the Post's internal database of US fatal police shootings, show that 43 people with "ultra-real-looking pellet guns, toy weapons, and non-functioning replicas" were killed in 2016, as well as 43 people in 2015. Of those killed, 54 were white, while 81 were male. But just because the guns were fake, they weren't obviously so—the Post points out that "almost all" of the recovered weapons in these 86 fatal shootings were "highly realistic" likenesses of the real deal, including BB and pellet guns, airsoft guns, and replicas. Sig Sauer, for example, manufactures airguns that it promotes as "carbon copies" of its actual weapons.

Because these phony firearms are a) "red hot" now, per an industry consultant, and b) "virtually impossible" to identify as being fake from far away, cops are in a dilemma where they're left with "little choice but to assume the guns are lethal," the Post notes. "People don't really understand the dynamics of a police-involved situation," says Kim Jacobs, the police chief in Columbus, Ohio. "They all have families, they want to go home at the end of their shift." There have been efforts to push laws that would make airguns look noticeably different from real ones, but those efforts have been stymied by gun rights groups. And two studies done 25 years ago showed that adding markers to fake weapons didn't substantially cut down on police shootings. One sheriff in Alachua County, Fla., wants to circumvent aesthetic changes altogether. "Part of the solution is to ban the sale of toy or replica guns," he says.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
I don't understand why anyone would carry a fake gun? If you feel the need to carry something for protection (or just to feel like a bad ass), why not just carry the real deal?

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
Most everyone doesn't get the real problem. The REAL problem is the pollution of the left wing gene pool. The idiotic oversensitive douchebags have poisoned the entire population with their ridiculous bullshit. I used to carry cap guns when I was small and I never got shot. I used to run around shooting up the neighborhood with my mattel specials and never had a problem. The total ignorance and ridiculous actions of the idiotic PC fuckwads have changed all that. I used to wear my pair of 6 shooters into the candy store, grocery store, etc. and the clerks would sometimes playfully put their hands up and yell "don't shoot". WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE TODAY?????????????????

Robadat

Some were kids.
Nevertheless, it is probably the stupidest thing a person can do. I was nearly involved in doing that myself back in the early nineties. The only thing that saved that 16 yo at the time was that I had just transitioned from a revolver to a 9mm. I had just completed the training with the new weapon and was having troubles with point shooting, putting my shots slightly to the left on the target due to the difference in trigger pull. I had gotten a report of a man with a gun in the park near where I was assigned and went to investigate. I saw the male with the weapon and when he saw me he took off running. I chased him for about 200 yds, closed the gap to about ten yards when he turned on me with his gun in his hand. I raised my weapon and nearly fired but didn't because I saw a woman with a stroller about 20 yds behind him and didn't completely trust my shooting ability with the new gun. He then dropped his gun. Needless to say, after arresting him and checking out his gun, it turned out to be a Colt 1911 replica pellet gun that was empty. He only lived because if I was carrying my revolver at the time, there is no doubt in my mind I would've taken the shot and put him down.

livespive

I can agree somewhat with you Greg, but you have a lot of cops in situations where that gun being drawn at you looks real, and the kid don't look like a 5 year old....

a 6 shooter looks a lot different than a Glock........

Also, they started putting, the bright orange plugs in the toy guns, why did they stop?
So stopped, and some kids take them out.

Most everyone doesn't get the real problem. The REAL problem is the pollution of the left wing gene pool. The idiotic oversensitive douchebags have poisoned the entire population with their ridiculous bullshit. I used to carry cap guns when I was small and I never got shot. I used to run around shooting up the neighborhood with my mattel specials and never had a problem. The total ignorance and ridiculous actions of the idiotic PC fuckwads have changed all that. I used to wear my pair of 6 shooters into the candy store, grocery store, etc. and the clerks would sometimes playfully put their hands up and yell "don't shoot". WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE TODAY?????????????????

livespive

Your guy was a man,

Like Greg said, we used to run around with cap guns all of the time.
even in my age, they put the orange plugs in them. Why have toy makers been aloud to stop?

I agree that it is stupid for a grown up, but a kid, even though kids are a lot different than we were.

Nevertheless, it is probably the stupidest thing a person can do. I was nearly involved in doing that myself back in the early nineties. The only thing that saved that 16 yo at the time was that I had just transitioned from a revolver to a 9mm. I had just completed the training with the new weapon and was having troubles with point shooting, putting my shots slightly to the left on the target due to the difference in trigger pull. I had gotten a report of a man with a gun in the park near where I was assigned and went to investigate. I saw the male with the weapon and when he saw me he took off running. I chased him for about 200 yds, closed the gap to about ten yards when he turned on me with his gun in his hand. I raised my weapon and nearly fired but didn't because I saw a woman with a stroller about 20 yds behind him and didn't completely trust my shooting ability with the new gun. He then dropped his gun. Needless to say, after arresting him and checking out his gun, it turned out to be a Colt 1911 replica pellet gun that was empty. He only lived because if I was carrying my revolver at the time, there is no doubt in my mind I would've taken the shot and put him down.

Robadat

Reading the report, out of the 86, only 4 people shot were 17 or under, with the youngest being 12, one 13, and one 17 yo female who was involved in a robbery, they weren't little kids. As I said, carrying one of these replicas is a bad idea and pointing one at a cop or at another person in the presence of a cop is the stupidest thing one can do. That can and will get you shot almost every time. I can never find fault with a cop in that situation. If you point a weapon at a police officer, odds are you will get shot. Cops can not risk their own safety, hoping and praying the weapon they're facing is a toy regardless of who is pointing it at them.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
5 YEAR OLD SHOOT GUNS TOO. AND ISNT ONE OF THE GOLDEN RULES, DONT AIM A GUN AT SOMEONE IF YOU DONT INTEND TO SHOOT.

livespive

I thought the boy in Cleveland was younger than that??

Reading the report, out of the 86, only 4 people shot were 17 or under, with the youngest being 12, one 13, and one 17 yo female who was involved in a robbery, they weren't little kids. As I said, carrying one of these replicas is a bad idea and pointing one at a cop or at another person in the presence of a cop is the stupidest thing one can do. That can and will get you shot almost every time. I can never find fault with a cop in that situation. If you point a weapon at a police officer, odds are you will get shot. Cops can not risk their own safety, hoping and praying the weapon they're facing is a toy regardless of who is pointing it at them.

Robadat

I thought the boy in Cleveland was younger than that??
Tamir Rice, the kid killed in Cleveland last year was 12. My only problem with that case, if I recall correctly, was that the cops did not immediately render any first aid to the kid after he was shot. May not have made any difference in the outcome, but they should have done whatever they could to keep him alive.