Any of ya'll into wine?

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
What do you like? I'm not a wine snob, and can't tell if there are hints of daffodil farts in a particular vintage, but I am finding enjoyment in trying different vintner's creations.

It's similar to BBQ - every creator has their unique recipe and flavor. While I don't always like everything put forth, I appreciate the effort. And when you find one that's done just right...

This year I've been hooked on Tempranillo, but lately I've been obsessed with Petite Syrah. Been hitting Texas wines a lot (due to several "hill country TX wine corridor" trips this year), Pedernales Cellars' "Reserve Tempranillo" and Grape Creek Vineyards' "Petite Syrah" are two of my faves at the moment.

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
I'm not a connoisseur by any stretch of the imagination. But, I know what I like. Don't know the lingo, the vineyards, or the brands, but I like a medium dry red with dinner, something with a bit more body for sipping afterwards, and a medium to heavy bodied sweet for afternoon porch sitting. I've even dabbled in making my own and have a few cases of various flavors left.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
I still stick to something we were told by a down to earth wine maker when we first started visiting vineyards and doing tasting flights; "It doesn't matter if the wine is $1 a bottle, or $1,000,000 a bottle. If YOU don't like it, it's not good wine."

We are into big, bold reds. Our thing is to pop a bottle while sitting on the patio grilling steaks, and of course continue while we're eating the steaks. I can also enjoy sweet table wine and dessert wines/ports, but the wife (who started out liking nothing but muscato) has now become a bit snobbish - she won't drink a muscato or sweet red anymore. She's actually starting to get into dry whites - especially when it's hot out. She finds the crisper, dryer whites more refreshing on those days.

I think it's pretty cool you made your own. Was that a one and done thing, or did you do it for a while?

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
I still stick to something we were told by a down to earth wine maker when we first started visiting vineyards and doing tasting flights; "It doesn't matter if the wine is $1 a bottle, or $1,000,000 a bottle. If YOU don't like it, it's not good wine."

We are into big, bold reds. Our thing is to pop a bottle while sitting on the patio grilling steaks, and of course continue while we're eating the steaks. I can also enjoy sweet table wine and dessert wines/ports, but the wife (who started out liking nothing but muscato) has now become a bit snobbish - she won't drink a muscato or sweet red anymore. She's actually starting to get into dry whites - especially when it's hot out. She finds the crisper, dryer whites more refreshing on those days.

I think it's pretty cool you made your own. Was that a one and done thing, or did you do it for a while?
I made wine between 02 and 08, just experimenting with different yeasts and recipes. I bought two 5 gal carbouys and a few airlocks, a bunch of different yeasts, some nutrient, pectin, and a bunch of other shit. Had some success and some ugly failures. After all this I just recently realized what I did wrong on the failures and may try again soon. I have a few cases left of the "okay" stuff. I have a few bottles of an experiment that went extremely well. My hydrometer tells me it's 39% alcohol content. That's border line shine!

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
WHEN I WAS A DRINKER, I DIDNT PARTAKE OF WINE. I MUST ADMIT, I NEVER TRIED MORE THAN ONCE OR TWICE. BUT THE COUPLA TIMES I TRIED, THEY WERE JUST TO FRUITY FOR ME. BUT ALOT OF MY FREINDS PARTAKE AND ENJOY.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Wine?? I don't drink no stinking wine!!!!

It's WHISKEY or SCOTCH, a mans drink!!!!:Biggrin::Biggrin:
I like whiskey, but it really makes me feel like shit the next day. For some reason, beer makes me feel worse than wine (when overindulged).

When we went to Greece, I took a liking to Mastiha. It is a sipping drink, sticky sweet with a unique flavor imparted by the resin used.

I got into wine because the wife doesn't like beer or hard liquor, so we can try/drink wine together. Happy Wife, Happy Life. :cool:

Scolai

For eight years, my wife worked for a former sommelier for Windows on the World in NYC. After 9/11 and the destruction of Windows, my wife's boss returned to her NC hometown to open a restaurant with her husband. For quite a while, my wife and I were exposed to a wide selection of good wines.

Personally, I prefer white and only a few reds. Nothing fancy. My favorite white is New Age. I also enjoy a good Cava. Dibon is the better of those I've tried. There is rarely a Pinot Noir and Pinot Grigio that I won't take a glass of.

Still, my preference is a good whiskey/bourbon or vodka mixed. Maker's for the bourbon. Tito's for the vodka.

Djarum300

Addicted Member
Sulfites. Many wines have these and I can only consume so much before breaking out.

I cook a good bit with red and white wines but generally don't drink them. I don't like dry wines not do I like sweet wines.

I don't mind a reisling every now and again. Sometimes a lambrusco. The other half likes muscato but she's been on a cider kick the last few years.

Honestly the craft beer scene and the quality there has moved me away from wines outside of cooking with wine.