AW editorial: Spending $3 billion on THIS needs approval NOW!

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
In the midst of recent and ongoing multi-trillion-dollar spending, it's urgent that top-level government officials use common sense and take immediate steps to prevent the calamitous effects of a potential EMP strike on the American homeland.

A successful EMP (electro-magnetic pulse) strike by China, Russia or any hostile nation could be made by detonating a nuclear weapon many miles above the American. heartland, and just one such detonation could instantly wipe out the entire U.S. electric grid. It doesn't take a genius to realize that America would be helpless without electricity, so why aren't government officials making the EMP threat an immediate top-level priority?

It would cost no more than about $3 billion to take measures to prevent such a catastrophe, but government officials seem oblivious to the problem. Our grid is dependent on massive transformers that could be destroyed by an EMP strike, and replacement transformers would take years to build, and America doesn't even have the current capacity to make those replacements.

Virtually everything -- food, water, finance, transportation, business and communication -- is dependent on electricity. On the subject of food alone, few Americans depend on local food sources; rather, they rely on food shipped from elsewhere utilizing automated mass-packing, transportation and refrigeration, none of which would work in the aftermath of an EMP. Even tap water depends on electricity.

Many experts have warned that more than 90 percent of Americans could die within a year of a successful EMP strike, due to starvation, lack of medication, disease and many other tragic consequences.

Few Americans realize that North Korea has had satellites orbiting directly above the U.S., and there's a possibility that such satellites could have nuclear warheads on them. And some experts suspect that Iran, China and Russia already have such nuclear warheads.

Despite the seriousness of the EMP threat, recent presidential administrations have taken no significant action. Officials under President Obama refused to meet with EMP Commission experts, apparently not even acknowledging the threat. On the other hand, whereas President Trump was cognizant of the problem, he and his national security team never developed a strategy in conjunction with the EMP Commission.

Many of our worldwide adversaries -- including Russia, China, Iran and North Korea -- are well aware of EMP development, and that's an important part of their military strategy.

A successful EMP strike would be infinitely worse than 9/11, so there's no excuse for failure to defend ourselves against countries that could render the U.S. helpless by successfully unleashing one single nuke.

By allocating $3 billion -- chicken-feed compared with recent governmental expenses -- America could safeguard its grid with things such as surge protectors and Faraday cages, the latter being an enclosure formed by conductive material used to block electric fields.

We must immediately place emphasis on protecting the U.S. electric grid. That issue is far more important than climate change initiatives. If Congress would take necessary action, the grid would not only be protected from EMPs, but from hurricanes and snowstorms as well.

It's common sense. Relatively small amounts of money is needed to protect the grid and keep food, water and other essentials going to Americans, and no price tag is too great to guard against a multi-year EMP blackout.

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
Reagan had the plan with the Star Wars project. Democrats called him nuts. Here we are...

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
Reagan had the plan with the Star Wars project. Democrats called him nuts. Here we are...
... and regardless of one's opinion with regard to global warming or climate change, THIS is far more important, because it could change our lives GREATLY and far more QUICKLY!

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
[NOTE: Will anyone start taking this seriously now?]

Pipeline hack roils U.S. energy

A cyberattack on the massive Colonial pipeline caused the company to shut down its entire 5,500-mile fuel system over the weekend, in what appears to be the most disruptive energy-sector hack in U.S. history.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
If we can't even prevent a "simple" hack into our infrastructure, how do we expect to prevent damage from an EMP strike? Hell, we can't even keep the lights on simply because it gets too hot or too cold.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
If we can't even prevent a "simple" hack into our infrastructure, how do we expect to prevent damage from an EMP strike? Hell, we can't even keep the lights on simply because it gets too hot or too cold.
... but for a "measly" $3 billion -- chicken feed for congressional spenders -- we can make use of Faraday cages to go a long way toward protecting the grid.

REVerse °

Addicted Member
I have a spare ham radio that is meticulously wrapped in steel mesh and stored for a possible EMP strike. Call me a weirdo, but if an EMP does happen- communication will be top priority.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
I GOT NO RADIO BUT I GOTS ALOT OF TREES. ANY OF YOU KE-MO SAH-BEE'S ABLE TO READ SMOKE SIGNALS?

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
I have a spare ham radio that is meticulously wrapped in steel mesh and stored for a possible EMP strike. Call me a weirdo, but if an EMP does happen- communication will be top priority.
I've been considering building a faraday cage in my radio room in the basement.