AW - you high and dry?

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Heard Eta is causing some serious flooding issues in parts of Fla. I see you posted recently, so I assume all is well?

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
Heard Eta is causing some serious flooding issues in parts of Fla. I see you posted recently, so I assume all is well?
Dear 9andaWiggle:

Thanks for thinking about me. The serious issues are quite a bit to the south of us -- at this time, anyway -- but the way the forecast looks, here on the west central coast of Florida, we're not likely to have any seriously dangerous weather. Starting tomorrow afternoon, however, we're almost certain to see some rain and near-tropical storm winds.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
That one I don't think they know what it's going to do for sure... stay safe!
Dear 9andaWiggle:

It is definitely erratic, but none of the "experts" are forecasting it to reach hurricane strength, no matter where the next landfall is. Further, a lot of dry air is beginning to enter the system, and that will likely weaken the system.

bbfreeburn

AW, as much as I might appreciate the climate of Florida, I think that the prospect of hurricanes might deter me from living there. I lived in Savannah for a year and managed to not face a major storm. Don’t want to press my luck

Djarum300

Addicted Member
Come live in North alabama were EF5s are an every other year occurance.

Hurricanes aren't a huge deal 20 miles inland. Flooding is.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Come live in North alabama were EF5s are an every other year occurance.

Hurricanes aren't a huge deal 20 miles inland. Flooding is.
We've been in buildings hit by tornados twice in Indiana (just F1-F2), and survived Harvey out here west of Houston. I tell you, without reservation, I'd rather deal with tornados. At least they don't overstay their welcome - they show up, blast through, and are done. Damn hurricanes take days - some even weeks. They're so much more stressful for a longer period of time. Plus, I'll take wind damage over floodwater damage any day.

Make no mistake, both can kill you. At least a tornado has the decency to make it quick.

Djarum300

Addicted Member
April 11 2011 lasted close to a month for some locations. We were out of power here for about a week.

Yeah, tornadoes are much more localized outside of outbreak. When I was living in FL we were lucky we lived on higher ground.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
AW, as much as I might appreciate the climate of Florida, I think that the prospect of hurricanes might deter me from living there. I lived in Savannah for a year and managed to not face a major storm. Don’t want to press my luck
Dear bbfreeburn:

Obviously, things can change from year to year, but the hurricane situation in Florida hasn't been as dire as you might think. For instance:

* I've lived in Sarasota for 54 years, and only twice has this city been directly impacted by a hurricane -- a direct hit (with little storm surge or damage) by minimal Hurricane Abby in 1968, and a nearby passage of Hurricane Irma in September 2007, with minimal damage and some power outages.

* After the extremely active 2005 hurricane season, NOT ONE HURRICANE hit anywhere in Florida for MORE THAN A DECADE!