Commuter Train hits car in NY...

Robadat

6 Die When Packed Metro-North Train Hits Car on Tracks, Sparking Fiery Crash: Officials

Six people were killed when a Metro-North train packed with commuters from New York City hit a car on the railroad tracks in Westchester at the height of evening rush hour, sparking a fiery crash that's also injured at least 12 people, officials say.
The train out of Grand Central Terminal was going northbound on the Harlem line when it struck a Jeep Cherokee at the Commerce Street crossing in Valhalla at about 6:30 p.m., officials said.
The Jeep was stopped on the tracks when the railroad crossing gates came down on top of it, according to MTA spokesman Aaron Donovan. The driver got out to look at the back of the car, then got back in and drove forward when the train struck the Jeep, pushing it about 10 train-car lengths up the track.
The Jeep driver and five passengers on the train were killed in the crash, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said in a news conference Tuesday night. The crash is the deadliest in the history of the Metro-North Railroad. Officials initally said six passengers had died, but MTA officials downgraded the death toll Wednesday morning.
PHOTOS: Dramatic Images of Metro North’s Deadliest Crash

"This is truly an ugly, brutal sight," Cuomo said. "The third rail of the track came up from the explosion and went right through the car, so it is truly a devastatingly ugly situation to see."

Thoughts and prayers for the families of the victims...

Last edited by a moderator:

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Wow. Amazes me how people get into these situations, how ignorant people are about trains, and how little respect trains are given. Sure, trains don't look that big, but the combined weight of rolling stock packs a helluva punch. For those 10 feet tall and bulletproof, heed my warning; a train will kick your ass too! Sad that so many lives were affected by one bad decision.

Djarum300

Addicted Member
I'm all for the installation of some mechanical device that sweeps the tracks at intersections like this. Also some sensors that could warn the train operator a few miles ahead that someone is on the tracks.

Robadat

They should eliminate all these road grade crossings in populated areas...there's just too much traffic, both vehiclular and train...these things are bound to happen from time to time...people do stupid shit...

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Jason aka Djarum said:
I'm all for the installation of some mechanical device that sweeps the tracks at intersections like this. Also some sensors that could warn the train operator a few miles ahead that someone is on the tracks.
I'm not positive, but most cases I think develop when the train is within sight of the car. Such as this. Getting stuck between the crossing arms means either traffic was stopped and this guy was on the tracks and trapped before the train triggered the signal, or the driver saw the signal and the arms start down and tried to beat the train - and wasn't fast enough. Agree with Rob... need to eliminate these intersections in heavily populated areas. Reconfigure them to go over/under each other.