Did NYC Officials get it wrong?

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
I think they had the peoples best interest at heart when they pulled the plug. There were quite a few places that did jump the gun a bit, but better safe than sorry in a case like this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robadat

As typical, the weather forecasters lied again... :) I swear these guys must have politicians in their bloodlines...
Many people were bitching after the fact because the storm missed us by about fifty miles. East End of Long Island got the two feet+ of snow the city was supposed to get so it wasn't that far off. A near miss if you will..
Benefits of closing the city were enormous, with roads shut down to traffic, they were cleared of snow by the time the last flakes stopped falling. Even tho most places closed for the day, transportation to get into the city would not have been a problem. Was it worth the cost to the economy of having the city shut down? I don't know, but I did appreciate the time off from work to clear up the snow on my own property.
Overall, I'm happy they shut things down, we didn't have any of the problems normally associated with a snowfall of the amount we actually got.

JLS

Most used the Euro model....only the new improved American model had NY City getting 8 inches....The others had 24-36 to a zillion...
And that is what most W-Men used....Cause it sold more copies...

Now IMO...The officials did the RIGHT THING based on the info they had...

Here in the toxic waste dump known as Chicago...The idiots would go to work during a storm...get there 2-3 hours late...then leave work 2-3 hours early...and cause a major traffic jam...and then get stuck in the snow....thousands of cars stuck...and it cost the city and the state millions and millions to dig them out...

So congrats to the Gov. of NY State...

Robadat

Jim, that's what usually happens here. Tons of cars get stuck and plows can't get through. A friend who works for Sanitation told me plowing was easy with no cars on the roads, they were able to stay well ahead of the snow and keep just about everything passable throughout the night. Some sections of the city got over 10" and were cleared by the end of the storm. Usually it takes them days to get the side streets cleared when we get 6...
So I agree with them closing the place down, it makes getting back to usual much quicker. Only thing I might change would be to keep public transportation (subways and buses) running a bit longer so less people end up stranded. Quite a few people got stranded in the city due to not being able to get out by the 8 PM deadline.

JLS

Rob...Good point about the subway...Maybe the reason they closed the subways was due to the W-Men saying HURRICANE force winds...and
flooding...Once again...TV loves to over do things...This way they get viewers GLUED to the TV...

But IMO...they still did the right thing...Yes some people got starnded...And may have ended up in a BAR...Having a GREAT time...if you know what I mean...oops...

Last year in the toxic waste dumb known as Chicago....It took days to get all the cars cleared off Lake Shore Drive...And it took people
weeks to find their cars...after they were towed....And guess who had to pay for storage...

If the fools running the city would have said...STAY HOME...STAY OFF THE ROADS...non of that would have happened...

That morning, many people were late getting to work...And then about 2 pm....they all left early...which caused a major traffic jam...

And then the serious snow hit....and they got stranded...and cost the city MILLIONS to dig them out...

So once again....Congrats to the way NY handled it...

BTW...people seem to forget... that the other states did indeed get 24-30 inches...so the ban on driving worked well in most places that
got snow...

Maybe next time the W-Men will use the new improved American Model over the Euro model...

Robadat

Cool Rocking Daddy said:
Look, weather isn't a sure thing. The storm veered North of NYC. People there should be counting their lucky stars. However, NE got smashed. They weren't off by much and as somebody said, precautions are better than being caught unawares or unprepared
Oh, I'm extremely happy the storm didn't show up here in all it's fury. We still got a good 10" in my area with a lot of wind and drifting. Got a couple drifts in my back yard that are over 4 feet high, couldn't open my back storm door... I did like the day off and was able to get everything cleaned up AND spend a few hours online. Can't beat that.
Only problem really is the "boy who cried wolf" syndrome. Keep making these errors in the forecasting and people will stop listening and getting prepared for the coming storms. But they can close this place down anytime, I'll gladly take an extra day off... I'm usually always prepared for these types of things anyway. I don't wait to stock up. I always have at least enough on hand to last two to three weeks w/o having to go out to resupply.

Robadat

Now the weather liars are calling for 6 to 10" of snow followed by freezing rain Sunday night into Monday. I wonder if we're going to close up shop again.

JLS

Robadat said:
Now the weather liars are calling for 6 to 10" of snow followed by freezing rain Sunday night into Monday. I wonder if we're going to close up shop again.
I'll keep you posted....Cause the snow is due to start here tonight about 6 pm....and last all thru Sunday...
Calling for 12" or more up north of the city...10-12 thru the city and 8-10 south of the city...

And then it's heading straight for you...

This storm could mess up a lot pf people's Super Bowl plans....Already had a customer this morning say he cancelled his plans and is staying home....

Robadat

Storm isn't expected here till after the Game...
Was supposed to go over to my daughter's for the game, but she and her sister now say They're coming my way...
Got to do a good cleaning around the house now. :(
At least I have plenty of things I can cook up for dinner... :)
Can't decide whether to do baby back ribs or Roast Pork Loin...
Have to take a poll...