Don't Let Old People Vote!

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
Because we've lived thru the mistakes all the "think they know it all" young people have made so our wisdom is needed to keep things rolling properly. UK. Classic example.

livespive

Interesting, While the old farts have live through it, most of the old farts have caused it.

That could be a very interesting debate.

Because we've lived thru the mistakes all the "think they know it all" young people have made so our wisdom is needed to keep things rolling properly. UK. Classic example.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
I see it differently. Young people think they know everything, but are naive due to inexperience in life. On the flip side, older people tend to see the past through rose colored lenses and are too stubborn to accept/admit when they're wrong.

The way I see it, the sweet spot are the 30-50 year olds who are "knee deep in the shit" that is caused by both those who are older (decisions of parents/grandparents generations) and younger (paying for all their kids' stuff).

I say, make it MANDATORY for everyone aged 30-50 to vote (perhaps make part of voting be a mandarory viewing of each candidates agenda/goals/highlight reel a week prior to casting the vote), and don't allow anyone else to vote! Likewise, those running for office must be in the same age range: 30-50. If elected at age 50, you get to serve that term, but it'll be your last!

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
And jury duty... nobody working and trying to raise a family should be inconvenienced by that (nor the companies they work for). Retired people should be doing jury duty. Instead of voting, they can release their frustrations by sending young punks to the electric chair! :Roflmao:

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
And jury duty... nobody working and trying to raise a family should be inconvenienced by that (nor the companies they work for). Retired people should be doing jury duty. Instead of voting, they can release their frustrations by sending young punks to the electric chair! :Roflmao:
... but at least here in Florida, anyone of age 70 and up is exempt from jury duty.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
... but at least here in Florida, anyone of age 70 and up is exempt from jury duty.
On the flip side... once you reach retirement age, I think you should no longer have to pay property taxes on primary residence and first car. Plus, no income tax on SS payments. Consider it payment for being on jury duty all the time. ;)

MI2AZ

On the flip side... once you reach retirement age, I think you should no longer have to pay property taxes on primary residence and first car. Plus, no income tax on SS payments. Consider it payment for being on jury duty all the time. ;)

I will never collect SS (and I am already 64) so I don't really follow all the rules on it, but they have to pay taxes on it? Wasn't the income already taxed while they were working? SS should be tax-free then.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
HAVE TO DISAGREE WITH YA ON THAT ONE G. ALL THE OLD FOLKS IN OFFICE NOW GOT THERE BY OLD FOLKS VOTEING. THINGS ARE NOT WORKING OUT THAT WELL FOR KNOWING WHAT NOT TO DO.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
I will never collect SS (and I am already 64) so I don't really follow all the rules on it, but they have to pay taxes on it? Wasn't the income already taxed while they were working? SS should be tax-free then.
I'm not 100% sure either, although I know my retired neighbors bitch about having at least (medicaid or medicare, I forget which) withheld - after they paid into that all their working life too.

I think it's kinda silly for any employee/retiree paid by tax dollars to be taxed too. Seems inefficient to take $100 out of an account just to immediately put $20 back in, then demand an accounting of it once a year to add/deduct more.