Federal Court Rules OK For Cops To Lie

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
I'm OK with it in this situation. Last thing I think a cop would want to do is immediately go full on into "We know you're smuggling drugs!" What if they stopped the wrong car - that by coincidence matched the description of the one they were looking for? Easier to say "Remember to signal and have a nice evening" than try to backtrack on the drug smuggling deal statement.

livespive

Nope, just like any other job, you need to have your ducks in a row before you go off half cocked.
That is how cops bust in houses and kill innocent people. In either case the must make sure they have the right info.

I'm OK with it in this situation. Last thing I think a cop would want to do is immediately go full on into "We know you're smuggling drugs!" What if they stopped the wrong car - that by coincidence matched the description of the one they were looking for? Easier to say "Remember to signal and have a nice evening" than try to backtrack on the drug smuggling deal statement.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Busting into a house shooting everybody up is a bit different than a traffic stop to check a vehicle that matches the description of one involved in a crime. That in itself is probability enough for the stop. Seems kinda silly to claim a different reason, but if a cop does I see no reason to excuse an actual crime over that.

But then, I dislike criminals more than I dislike cops...

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
CRIMINALS LIE TO GET OUT OF TROUBLE. SO IF YOU GET CAUGHT, YOU GO TO JAIL. SHOULDNT MATER WHAT THEY STOP YOU FOR.

livespive

No, the point is that the aren't just pulling over the criminal, they pull over anyone
"matching" the description. Just wrong.

CRIMINALS LIE TO GET OUT OF TROUBLE. SO IF YOU GET CAUGHT, YOU GO TO JAIL. SHOULDNT MATER WHAT THEY STOP YOU FOR.

livespive

No if anything it makes my point because the description and information should have been "matched" before they went into the house and started shooting.

From the article:

"According to the intercept, the route would take the two men traveling in "green, black or white'' car with Washington plates through Bozeman, Mont., between 3 a.m. and 4 a.m. on Sept. 28."

So you are telling me that it is ok to pull over every Grreen, Black, or White car with Washington plates?????????

Nope, get your shit straight then go in.

Busting into a house shooting everybody up is a bit different than a traffic stop to check a vehicle that matches the description of one involved in a crime. That in itself is probability enough for the stop. Seems kinda silly to claim a different reason, but if a cop does I see no reason to excuse an actual crime over that.

But then, I dislike criminals more than I dislike cops...

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
I guess we'll just have to disagree. At 3am in the dark, how are you going to see the people without a stop? It was a stop based on evidence, to verify they had the right people. Odds are high that if it had been two old ladies in the car they would have been told "Have a nice day" and allowed to leave without any citation.

Plus, how many cars will be traveling through the middle of Montana with Washington plates in the specified 1 hour timeframe of 3-4 am? I'm guessing they stopped the only one. Middle of the day at rush hour I'm with you, but not at 3am.

Cops were right on the money with this one. Why they felt the need to make up the turn signal excuse is beyond me. The evidence and circumstances suggest the odds were very high of this being the car they were looking for.

livespive

I could see your point if the 3 colors were 3 different shades of blue or something like that in the ball park, but they were shooting in the dark.
How does a white car compare with green or black? The evidence was a wide net........
They didn't say how many they pulled over, that's the point. They could have pulled over 10 cars we don't know.
Just like a check point.

I guess we'll just have to disagree. At 3am in the dark, how are you going to see the people without a stop? It was a stop based on evidence, to verify they had the right people. Odds are high that if it had been two old ladies in the car they would have been told "Have a nice day" and allowed to leave without any citation.

Plus, how many cars will be traveling through the middle of Montana with Washington plates in the specified 1 hour timeframe of 3-4 am? I'm guessing they stopped the only one. Middle of the day at rush hour I'm with you, but not at 3am.

Cops were right on the money with this one. Why they felt the need to make up the turn signal excuse is beyond me. The evidence and circumstances suggest the odds were very high of this being the car they were looking for.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
The article isn't clear, but I suspect they ran the plate before initiating the stop. If so, they knew it was registered to a name that sounded hispanic (description of driver match) at an address in the vicinity of where surveilance suggested the shipment would originate.

There are certainly cases where officers act impulsively and get things wrong. In this case, I think they were methodical, had their facts straight, and had a high degree of certainty they had the right car before stopping it.

livespive

If they ran the plate then maybe.......

They do that here the cops come up and will be behind me for a while the roll off. Almost like a UFO :)
Hell if that is the case get an unmarked car to follow until the get close to the pickup then catch them in the act.

The article isn't clear, but I suspect they ran the plate before initiating the stop. If so, they knew it was registered to a name that sounded hispanic (description of driver match) at an address in the vicinity of where surveilance suggested the shipment would originate.

There are certainly cases where officers act impulsively and get things wrong. In this case, I think they were methodical, had their facts straight, and had a high degree of certainty they had the right car before stopping it.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Good point on nabbing everyone at the drop off point. :Thumbsup:

They knew where they were coming from, who was going... surely they knew where they were going as well.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
AND JUST CURIOUS. IF THE CAR IN QUESTION HAD A FLAT TIRE ON THE WAY OR TRAVELED FASTER THAN THE SPEED LIMIT. WOULD THAT NOT THROW OFF ESTIMATED TIME?