Foreign Movie Titles Strangely Accurate

MI2AZ

That's one thing I did not like about BR's Misc Non-Bowling forum. Everything had to be turned into a religious or political topic. Nothing could be something just for fun that everyone could enjoy.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
They did seem to go together, didn't they?
Very few political or religious discussions that did not get to personal attacks.
... but why can't people rationally discuss such subjects without feeling a need to personally attack and/or insult other posters?

MI2AZ

... but why can't people rationally discuss such subjects without feeling a need to personally attack and/or insult other posters?
I don't know. I'm not that smart.

Maybe because political parties and religious groups are all about following the party line and discourage dissent even though on the surface they say they encourage it but deep down they feel it undermines what they stand for? Because if the other is correct, then they are wrong and everything that they have believed in for years is in jeopardy of being wrong and nobody or no group likes being wrong? Maybe because it is easier to attack a person who disagrees than it is to debate the issue? Maybe all of those points are just human nature? You're the writer, the observer of human nature, I would think you would be closer to the answer than most of us. And no, I don't mean that as a personal attack. :)

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
Where most people go wrong when entering a discussion is they believe they can change other person's mind. After being met with opposing view points it turns ugly because both people believe they are right and the others are wrong. Heated arguments ensue. Everyone is guilty of it at some time or another. I've changed. After the blowup at BR I have accepted the fact that I will most likely never change anyones mind with MY opinions and /or facts, and that I am only going to present them for consideration. If the other person does not accept my opinions and/or facts to be correct I will simply agree to disagree and leave it at that.

REVerse °

Addicted Member
Divisiveness is not healthy for anyone. Some folks thrive on it and in time- only harm themselves. I learned a life lesson at BR. Being forced out of a comfort zone tests our inner strengths and weaknesses. Yes, change was necessary. The Golden Rule wins again.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
I don't know. I'm not that smart.

Maybe because political parties and religious groups are all about following the party line and discourage dissent even though on the surface they say they encourage it but deep down they feel it undermines what they stand for? Because if the other is correct, then they are wrong and everything that they have believed in for years is in jeopardy of being wrong and nobody or no group likes being wrong? Maybe because it is easier to attack a person who disagrees than it is to debate the issue? Maybe all of those points are just human nature? You're the writer, the observer of human nature, I would think you would be closer to the answer than most of us. And no, I don't mean that as a personal attack. :)
Dear MI2AZ:

I certainly don't consider your above-quoted post as anything resembling a personal attack, but you do present some logical points, questions and opinions.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
Where most people go wrong when entering a discussion is they believe they can change other person's mind.
... but how often are someone else's viewpoints (in a forum such as this) likely to ACTUALLY change another poster's point of view?

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
I think it's because our current political system instigates and thrives on division. Think about it: Pro Life/Pro Choice, Wealthy/Poor, Black/White, Gay/Straight, Religion/State. All issues that have become bigger than they should be due to opposing forces that WANT to be divisive and do NOT want meaningful resolution. Be it stubbornness, or needing such drama to be diversions from scandal.

They've unfortunately been very successful in dividing Americans, who should be united ("One Nation, Indivisible...") into what is essentially rival gangs. Instead of bloods and crips, they are republicans and democrats, pogressives vs conservatives, and still majority vs minority.

The biggest threat to our crooked government would be for Americans to figure out we could achieve so much more by focusing on our similarities rather than our differences, and *gasp* compromise to work together toward common goals that would move our country forward instead of allowing ourselves to be divided/conquered by aristocratic egomaniacs.

MI2AZ

I think it's because our current political system instigates and thrives on division.
I've long thought something like that myself. Each party is out for what is best for itself and each politician seems to be out for their own or their party's best interest rather than each of them looking out for what is best for OUR country.

And now, this is another thread that has turned into a political discussion. :)

Although it is rather polite.

Robadat

I've long thought something like that myself. Each party is out for what is best for itself and each politician seems to be out for their own or their party's best interest rather than each of them looking out for what is best for OUR country.

And now, this is another thread that has turned into a political discussion. :)

Although it is rather polite.
Polite political discussion can be had, but the political parties and the media don't want that. They're all about amassing as much power and control as they can get, and to do that they do their best to stifle discussion and keep the people divided. It's always about making the other guy out to be evil, self centered and not caring about the country. The reality is that both parties are all that, and much worse...

As to the OP, most of those captions are funny as hell, but wouldn't go over well with many Americans.