Have Ripples In Spacetime Been Detected?

MI2AZ

A press conference scheduled for 10:30am ET Thursday has the scientific world on the edge of its seats. The rumor/expectation/prevailing hope: that 100 years after Albert Einstein predicted their existence, the hunt for gravitational waves has led to their direct detection.

The first question tends to be "what are gravitational waves?" Put most simply, they're ripples in spacetime produced when a massive object accelerates. Most reports suggest (as Einstein did) that you visualize a pebble thrown in a pond. Discovery paints it as such: "Should two black holes collide (for example), 'ripples' in spacetime will carry energy away from the impact site at the speed of light." Those ripples also carry info about their "cataclysmic origins."

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
We're absolutely on the verge of a huge breakthrough, unless the tech is already there and we're being kept in the dark. Thats more my train of thought.

livespive

Yeah, that's what I was getting at in my first post. Like they have said before, we have made to many "leaps" with certain things
for them not to be getting it from somewhere.

We're absolutely on the verge of a huge breakthrough, unless the tech is already there and we're being kept in the dark. Thats more my train of thought.

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
Yeah, that's what I was getting at in my first post. Like they have said before, we have made to many "leaps" with certain things
for them not to be getting it from somewhere.
I had an argument with a college professor friend about that. He's a hardcore Darwin believer and wants nothing to do with more advanced races or species. So I just simply asked him; Why did it take "man" 100,000+ years to get out of the bushes and caves, group into family units and adapt a central government, ... and then only about 100 years to go from horses, coal oil and witch doctors to space travel, nuclear power and organ transplants. His brilliant response was. "Technology breeds technology."

livespive

Not that quick, not without help.

I had an argument with a college professor friend about that. He's a hardcore Darwin believer and wants nothing to do with more advanced races or species. So I just simply asked him; Why did it take "man" 100,000+ years to get out of the bushes and caves, group into family units and adapt a central government, ... and then only about 100 years to go from horses, coal oil and witch doctors to space travel, nuclear power and organ transplants. His brilliant response was. "Technology breeds technology."