Hepatitis Cure Costs 250 Times More In USA Than India

MI2AZ

America is an expensive place to get a disease.

Bloomberg
reports sofosbuvir—a Hepatitis C "miracle cure"—that retails for $1,000 per pill in the US is currently going for $4.29 in India, and that price is continuing to drop. Like other pharmaceutical companies, Gilead Sciences is making generic versions of its drug available in developing countries. More than a dozen generic versions of sofosbuvir, which can get rid of Hepatitis C in just three months, are currently being sold by multiple companies in India. And those companies are constantly lowering prices to gain a bigger market share. “If one agrees to it, the others will also have to," an Indian gastroenterologist tells Bloomberg. "It’s a race where one cannot say no—because then they’re going to lose the business."

These cheap, generic versions of sofosbuvir are great for India, where at least 12 million people—and up to 50% of the population in some areas—have Hepatitis C, Bloomberg reports. But in the US, the steep price—nearly $95,000 for a 12-week course—is limiting access.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Well, the avg wage for American workers is probably 250 times that of workers in India (maybe more). Supply and demand... they could price the pills the same in India, but I suspect nobody would (could) buy it. They'd just live with the hep C until they die.

Similar to internet pricing varying by zip code. If you're in a wealthy zip, guess what? You pay more!

It's bullshit, but people put up with it. If we quit buying stuff sold in this manner, the price would come down on a lot of things.

MI2AZ

I thought, well that may be true (about the wage differences between the USA and India) so I looked on Wikipedia and found that it is closer to 10x, not 250x. I think the main difference is that they are allowing generics and multiple companies producing it, which used to be a hallmark of American industry (competition).

USA monthly wage (2009) = $3263.
India monthly wage (2009) = $295.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_average_wage