High Score awards to become Once-in-a-Lifetime

tony

Admin
Staff member
Pimp Daddy
USBC is changing its high score award program. Starting August 1, 2014 a bowler will only receive an award once for each achievement. So if you shoot a 300 or 800 and you already have a ring for that, you will not receive another.

Here's some FAQ's about that.

If I never see another bowler with two fists full of rings, it'll be too soon. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
finally, but it would have been nice if they had upgraded the award from a stainless bolt. The rings from the sixies and early seventies were really good looking gold rings - however, they were somewhat harder to get......

Lots of talk about this on Facebook.... See Xeno's timeline.....

Find it strange that this was not talked about at the convention/// Many seminars about doing away with local awards but nothing about this..

I understand that many of the better bowlers have more awards than they know what to do with... some are sold on E-bay or other site as soon as they are given out.... I understand that USBC has many other issues on the table... easy lane conditions/ball reactions and sandbagging to name a few. However, USBC has several trust issues with regular bowlers.. RE: dues increases keep getting voted down. Doubt if this move will help...

Also I believe that the 11 in a row award should also be kept as a once in a lifetime award... There are many league bowlers that never get 300-800 awards. Not sure this is the wisest move by the powers in Arlington...

Time will tell....

I guess I don't see the reason for being upset, other than it's "another thing USBC takes away from us".

This is the same group of bitchers and moaners that thought it was a great idea to take away summer sanctioning into the next season, and make everyone's sanction reset on 8-1 regardless of when you did it. I would love to know how much money it cost USBC nationally and local associations when you told people that they would have to drop 16-18-20 bucks to sanction for summer, and then another time for the fall league.

Then again, IIRC, USBC said something about this a couple years ago, and suggested that sanctioning fees go up $1 for 2 straight years, only to have delegates vote it down. So now since they are limiting it, it's USBC dropping the ball here?

Whatever. If I never get another ring I won't lose sleep over it. I'd rather have money going into things like actually making bowling a sport again, instead of a hobby you have as you drink beer in the evening. I'd rather have that scratch improve high school bowling, as well as going towards keeping entry level bowlers of all ages into the game, instead of not getting better and quitting. To have something where the guys who quit because they couldn't afford drilling 4-6 new balls every July and fall behind others who can. Bring back the guy who quit because he got tired of busting his ass to average 230, only to be smashed in tourneys by guys who "averaged" 200 in league, only to find their magical 8 bagger shoes in every tourney.

If doing all that means we don't get jewelry that, in all honesty, stays in a box or a plaque or a clear plastic piece, then damn, feel free to do that.

Brian Towle said:
I guess I don't see the reason for being upset, other than it's "another thing USBC takes away from us".

This is the same group of bitchers and moaners that thought it was a great idea to take away summer sanctioning into the next season, and make everyone's sanction reset on 8-1 regardless of when you did it. I would love to know how much money it cost USBC nationally and local associations when you told people that they would have to drop 16-18-20 bucks to sanction for summer, and then another time for the fall league.

Then again, IIRC, USBC said something about this a couple years ago, and suggested that sanctioning fees go up $1 for 2 straight years, only to have delegates vote it down. So now since they are limiting it, it's USBC dropping the ball here?

Whatever. If I never get another ring I won't lose sleep over it. I'd rather have money going into things like actually making bowling a sport again, instead of a hobby you have as you drink beer in the evening. I'd rather have that scratch improve high school bowling, as well as going towards keeping entry level bowlers of all ages into the game, instead of not getting better and quitting. To have something where the guys who quit because they couldn't afford drilling 4-6 new balls every July and fall behind others who can. Bring back the guy who quit because he got tired of busting his ass to average 230, only to be smashed in tourneys by guys who "averaged" 200 in league, only to find their magical 8 bagger shoes in every tourney.

If doing all that means we don't get jewelry that, in all honesty, stays in a box or a plaque or a clear plastic piece, then damn, feel free to do that.​
Where's the thumbsup smiley face guy?

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
THUMBS UP SMILEY FACE GUY? YOU MEAN XENO?

Djarum300

Addicted Member
I don't like that they got rid of the 11 in a row award. Once in a lifetime is fine by me.

But I have to ask, where's the money going then?