HOF'er to retire after 2015 season

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Kinda old news now, but Jeff Gordon is going to climb out of the full time NASCAR gig after 2015. Wonder if this will be a new trend? Seems like "back in the day" guys would drive deep into their 50's. Jeff is 43, and still very on top of his game. Mark Martin retired, came back, and got yet another "Runner Up" title - proving the old guys can still Git R Done with the right team. Will we soon see Stewart, Kenseth, and Biffle hang it up on the full schedule madness as Jeff Burton has done? All of these guys are over 40, have been in the series a while, and except for Biffle don't really have much left to prove. On one hand, it'll be sad not to have Gordon on the track to root against in 2016 (I'll still have Jimmy to boo though!), but on the other it'll be fun to see if Chase Elliott can match/exceed the success his old man had. With Larson and Dillon already in the mix, there should be some good rivalries forming in the "younger" ranks. Now, if NASCAR can just get it together, they have the people and talent in place to be an exciting, fun series to watch. They just need to get out of their own way and let 'em race!

Last edited by a moderator:

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
9andawiggle 2 said:
Kinda old news now, but Jeff Gordon is going to climb out of the full time NASCAR gig after 2015. Wonder if this will be a new trend? Seems like "back in the day" guys would drive deep into their 50's. Jeff is 43, and still very on top of his game. Mark Martin retired, came back, and got yet another "Runner Up" title - proving the old guys can still Git R Done with the right team. Will we soon see Stewart, Kenseth, and Biffle hang it up on the full schedule madness as Jeff Burton has done? All of these guys are over 40, have been in the series a while, and except for Biffle don't really have much left to prove. On one hand, it'll be sad not to have Gordon on the track to root against in 2016 (I'll still have Jimmy to boo though!), but on the other it'll be fun to see if Chase Elliott can match/exceed the success his old man had. With Larson and Dillon already in the mix, there should be some good rivalries forming in the "younger" ranks. Now, if NASCAR can just get it together, they have the people and talent in place to be an exciting, fun series to watch. They just need to get out of their own way and let 'em race!​

They're all pussies today. Back before they had coockie cutter cars and a 4' thick rule book they'd drive with a fucking hangover from a three day drunk or a 10 day straight shine run through the woods. We can thank the sanctioning body for destroying another good sport. They don't drive for the love of driving anymore. They drive for the cash and get the fuck out. Terrible situation.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
That's what I meant about NASCAR getting out of its own way. I actually don't mind, in a way, racing for money then GTFO. Seems like if more drivers could retire in mid 40's, you'd have more turnover = more hungry young guys ready to battle it out for everything they can get. It would lessen (in theory, at least) guys like DW who drove well past their prime and simply took a starting spot (and ride/sponsor) from an upcoming young driver looking for a break.

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
9andawiggle 2 said:
That's what I meant about NASCAR getting out of its own way. I actually don't mind, in a way, racing for money then GTFO. Seems like if more drivers could retire in mid 40's, you'd have more turnover = more hungry young guys ready to battle it out for everything they can get. It would lessen (in theory, at least) guys like DW who drove well past their prime and simply took a starting spot (and ride/sponsor) from an upcoming young driver looking for a break.​

The problem is the rule book. We need to douse 99% of the rules and let some young geniuses in like the days of Johnson, Smokey Yunick, Richard Petty, etc. These guys could take a car off the lot, tune it, and win. Now they all have the same power, gearing, aerodynamics, etc. They all go roundy round at the same speed until someone makes a litle mistake and drops back, yada yada yada.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
True, because all of the (winning at least) cars are built by Hendricks, Rousch, Gibbs (I think, for Toyota) and I think Childress still has his own shop. Unless you buy engines from one of those four, you have no chance. Hell, if Hendricks keeps it up, it'll all be his stuff for every team. I mean, if you were a new team owner, you'd be stupid NOT to align yourself with Hendrick. Stewart/Haas has proven that.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
CRD is right too. Corporate money and the PC marketing crowd has run off any "colorful" characters that might bring some interest and excitement to the show.

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
Absolutely. It's a crying shame how money and the big guys have to destroy everything thats fun and innovative.