Hunker down

Djarum300

Addicted Member
They ran 5/8" copper about 24" off the floor horizontally across 18' of outer wall. Wrapped with thin, flimsy slip-on foam. Had to stand in line for 45 mins at hardware store - they were restocking with supplies from another store across town that didn't have power. I was able to get a compression fitting and cap for temporary fix.

View attachment 1199
I can't tell,.was there any roll insulation on that outer wall or was this in the garage on an outer wall? If the latter, idiots put this in. This should have gone under the slab. Hopefully.in the future you drip that line.

I have one spot similar where the hot water tank is. Water comes out of slab behind the wall and goes up and then out to the hot water tank in the garage. From what I can tell they ran the line closest to the drywall in the garage instead of the bedroom wall where the line would have been behind roll insulation. I pointed it out to the builder and they said they couldn't do anything about it. The plumbers were off an inch where they laid the PEX before the slab was poured.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
THATS THE GOOD THING ABOUT THE SPRAY FOAM. NOW THAT YOU KNOW THE LEVEL, ONLY HAVE TO DRILL A SMALL HOLE JUST ABOVE AND JUST BELOW THE PIPE. THE FOAM COMES WITH A STRAW THAT CAN BE INSERTED AND SPRAYED. AND YES, THEY DO MAKE A FOAM NOW THAT WONT EXPAND AND PUSH THE SHEETROCK OUT.

Djarum300

Addicted Member
THATS THE GOOD THING ABOUT THE SPRAY FOAM. NOW THAT YOU KNOW THE LEVEL, ONLY HAVE TO DRILL A SMALL HOLE JUST ABOVE AND JUST BELOW THE PIPE. THE FOAM COMES WITH A STRAW THAT CAN BE INSERTED AND SPRAYED. AND YES, THEY DO MAKE A FOAM NOW THAT WONT EXPAND AND PUSH THE SHEETROCK OUT.
I may need to look at that. I've thought about having two walls in my garage insulated along with the attic but I don't want to rip out the dry wall just to insulate two exterior walls.

I'm waiting on my garage door motor to go so I have an excuse to buy an insulated garage door with a bigger motor.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
THATS THE BAD THING ABOUT SLAB PIPING. TRYING TO HIT A BOTTOM PLATE THATS 3 3/4" WIDE WITH A 1" PIPE ISNT FEASABLE TO TRY AND DO A WHOLE HOUSE WITH MOST OF THE PIPES IN THE SLAB. THEN THINK ABOUT IT, IF A HOMEOWNER COMES TO THE BUILDER AND SAYS, "WE WANT TO TAKE A FOOT FROM HERE AND A FOOT FROM HERE AND MAKE OUR FAMILY ROOM A LITTLE BIGGER". OOPS, SORRY, PLUMBING IN THE WAY. THEN THINK IF THEY HAVE TO JACKHAMMER A SECTION TO MOVE IT. EASY? WHO KNOWS WHAT KIND OF DAMAGE THE JACKHAMMER MIGHT CAUSE A FEW FEET AWAY IN THE SLAB THEY CANT SEE.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Can you drip that line? Is it run to an interior faucet or an exterior bib?

Edit, I see you are going to just put a stop valve on.
Yeah, I just put basically a cap on it for now - try to get by until I have time to get a plumber out at non-emergency rates.

That whole wall of the garage is exterior (and on the north side to boot). There is no insulation at all - what you see in that first pic is what I saw when I opened it up.

I debated leaving it covered like I did, or dripping it. Looks like I chose wrong.

To draw a picture... the garage is 20' deep. Looking at my pic, to the right would be the garage door opening, to the left, the front wall of the garage. Our water heater is in that corner on the left. I must assume the cold water tees off of that feed line (one line to wh, other to spigot). That is an 18' run through uninsulated wall (the spigot is 27" in from front of garage, and about 3' to the right of where the pipe burst).

I didn't know about the foam being minimal expansion now - that will save a ton of work! :Thumbsup:

Djarum300

Addicted Member
THATS THE BAD THING ABOUT SLAB PIPING. TRYING TO HIT A BOTTOM PLATE THATS 3 3/4" WIDE WITH A 1" PIPE ISNT FEASABLE TO TRY AND DO A WHOLE HOUSE WITH MOST OF THE PIPES IN THE SLAB. THEN THINK ABOUT IT, IF A HOMEOWNER COMES TO THE BUILDER AND SAYS, "WE WANT TO TAKE A FOOT FROM HERE AND A FOOT FROM HERE AND MAKE OUR FAMILY ROOM A LITTLE BIGGER". OOPS, SORRY, PLUMBING IN THE WAY. THEN THINK IF THEY HAVE TO JACKHAMMER A SECTION TO MOVE IT. EASY? WHO KNOWS WHAT KIND OF DAMAGE THE JACKHAMMER MIGHT CAUSE A FEW FEET AWAY IN THE SLAB THEY CANT SEE.
Well, it would be easier if framing was done with 2x6 instead of 2x4.

Djarum300

Addicted Member
Yeah, I just put basically a cap on it for now - try to get by until I have time to get a plumber out at non-emergency rates.

That whole wall of the garage is exterior (and on the north side to boot). There is no insulation at all - what you see in that first pic is what I saw when I opened it up.

I debated leaving it covered like I did, or dripping it. Looks like I chose wrong.

To draw a picture... the garage is 20' deep. Looking at my pic, to the right would be the garage door opening, to the left, the front wall of the garage. Our water heater is in that corner on the left. I must assume the cold water tees off of that feed line (one line to wh, other to spigot). That is an 18' run through uninsulated wall (the spigot is 27" in from front of garage, and about 3' to the right of where the pipe burst).

I didn't know about the foam being minimal expansion now - that will save a ton of work! :Thumbsup:
Our outdoor spigot is right at the pipes that come up from the slab for the hot water heater.

Most homes have their outdoor spigot 20 feet away from the garage, a real PITA if you want to wash the car. The reason they don't put the spigot at the front is for reasons like this, they'd have to run the line under the slab off a tee which they don't want to do (cheap bastards) or run it along the wall as they did with your house it appears.

Djarum300

Addicted Member

Well, in this case insulation on that wall really isn't going to help much unless your garage stays significantly warmer than outdoors. If it does it will help. If not their isn't any heat to keep in.

When I lived in Jacksonville FL most outdoor spigots are actually on the outside wall of the home just strapped to the stucco or brick. We ended up hooking up a sprinkler and running it half open. Saved the pipes and the ice on the plants saved them as well.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
SLAB LEAKS ARE WAY MORE EXPENSIVE TO REPAIR AND WAY MORE INTRUSIVE TO YOUR LIVING AREAS WITH ANY LEAK PROBLEMS THOUGH.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Well, in this case insulation on that wall really isn't going to help much unless your garage stays significantly warmer than outdoors. If it does it will help. If not their isn't any heat to keep in.

When I lived in Jacksonville FL most outdoor spigots are actually on the outside wall of the home just strapped to the stucco or brick. We ended up hooking up a sprinkler and running it half open. Saved the pipes and the ice on the plants saved them as well.
So, if I'm hearing you right... I need to upgrade to a climate controlled garage. Might as well vault the ceiling and put in a lift too! No sense having a lift if I don't call the Snap-On guy and upgrade my tools as well. I can't wait to tell my wife of this wonderful news you've given me! It truly is the only way we can avoid catastrophe in the future. :Thumbsup: :):Roflmao::Roflmao::Roflmao:

sevenpin63

Addicted Member
So, if I'm hearing you right... I need to upgrade to a climate controlled garage. Might as well vault the ceiling and put in a lift too! No sense having a lift if I don't call the Snap-On guy and upgrade my tools as well. I can't wait to tell my wife of this wonderful news you've given me! It truly is the only way we can avoid catastrophe in the future. :Thumbsup: :):Roflmao::Roflmao::Roflmao: