Judge Rules Monkey Cannot Own Copyright To Selfie

MI2AZ

It was the selfie seen around the world; a toothy snap taken inadvertently by a grinning macaque monkey.

The story of the monkey selfie began in 2011 when British nature photographer David Slater was in Sulawesi, Indonesia, taking photographs of endangered crested macaques.

The photographer left his camera unattended on a tripod for a few moments, and the curious animals snatched the device and began playing with it.

It was then that a macaque named Naruto snapped the famous selfie of himself.

Since then, a battle for the copyright of the photo has raged.

Slater contends that the copyright of the image belongs to him. He has taken issue with people freely distributing the photo, saying he's suffered financial losses since no one's paying him royalties.

When Slater asked Wikimedia Commons to remove the photograph from its online collection, Wikimedia refused

Djarum300

Addicted Member
Its a question of who owns the image. If the monkey owns the image, then the photographer can't make any money on it because its no longer his. Personally, social media is destroying the lines that define copyright material, especially with videos photographs. I don't post many photos because they are mine and I don't want them used. If I want profit made from my photos, I want said profit, not someone pilfering my photos.