Local newspaper reflects trend of ultra-liberal bias

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
Even though the Sarasota (Fla.) Herald-Tribune is located in a solid Republican district, the newspaper that I spent 44 years with has gone from being a conservative hometown publication to a fake-news lamestream media outlet, and the "change" began when the H-T was purchased by The New York Times in 1983.

Now, everything is slanted solid left, as is the case with most of America's modern-day media. Regarding Letters To The Editor, the number of "leftist" letters consistently outweighs the number of letters by conservatives.

For example, in today's Herald-Tribune, there are three letters commenting on the ouster of Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.) from her No. 3 leadership position in the House GOP structure, and all of them take the side of RINO Cheney with an anti-Republican message. Here are the three letters ...

McCarthy rams through Cheney removal

House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy called his conference to order May 12, ignored five members who reportedly requested a closed, written vote, called for a voice-only vote – which avoids a public count of yeas and nays – and gaveled removal of Rep. Liz Cheney from her leadership role in the House Republican Conference. This “cowardly lion” thus avoids dissent and revealing the unraveling of party leadership and erosion of allegiance to Donald Trump. How sad.

Paul Smilow, University Park

Buchanan follows crowd in ousting No. 3

I have a hard time accepting the fact that a representative of my party, Vern Buchanan, would vote to oust Rep. Liz Cheney from her leadership post because “He supports a united leadership team.”

What about supporting the voters who put you in office?

Cheney refused to go along with the “Big Lie” that Donald Trump won the 2020 election. In fact, the results of a poll Congressman Buchanan sent to his constituents showed overwhelming support for the election results.

I guess the answer is, “You are a follower, not a leader.” How does he expect voters to support him when he doesn’t support them?

Joseph Pazarella, Sarasota

Republicans refuse to face reality

Hooray for U.S. Rep. Liz Cheney! Even though she is one of the most conservative Republicans in Congress, she has the courage to tell it like it is.

Cheney is a patriot for denouncing Donald Trump as a failed leader who is a threat to democracy. Unfortunately, most other Republican lawmakers prefer to worship Trump rather than face reality and seek new leaders capable of facing today’s problems instead of rehashing past failures.

The May 13 Herald-Tribune provided clear evidence of how deeply Republicans are still locked into the past (“Hearing on Jan. 6 D.C. violence exposes stark partisan divisions”). Some of them actually described the Jan. 6 mob who stormed the halls of Congress as patriots!

Others are rewriting history by claiming that the hooligans were merely touring the Capitol. Such moves to whitewash an attempted insurrection are clear signs of being unfit for office.

Hopefully, voters will remember that and defeat them in the next election.

Sigmund Tobias, Sarasota

Last edited: