Local Story, question

Djarum300

Addicted Member
http://www.waff.com/story/29897618/huntsville-police-say-public-didnt-help-officer-in-need

First off I find it interesting that its a crime to not help a police officer in distress. I'd like to get more clarification on the local law.

Now I know all the big tough guys on this forum would probably jump in and help. The more I think about it I say not so fast. Obviously each situation is different. First there are the legal consequences. I could see me slamming a guy and he sues me since I'm not a police officer. Maybe there is some civil immunity, I don't know. The second thing is the moral dilemma. Is my obligation to my family or is my obligation to this police officer? I could get hurt by I could get shot, especially if the guy has a gun or grabs the officers gun.

Some food for though.

Robadat

Alabama legal code said refusing to aid a police officer is actually a misdemeanor crime. If you're in a situation where you see a police officer trying to arrest someone and he asks you specifically to help him, you could be charged if you don't respond.

Bill Davis with the Fraternal Order of Police said unless it appears to be a dangerous situation, even if you're not legally obligated to help, you should be morally obligated to help.
Seems this would be the answer to your question.
A - Did the Officer in question ask anyone to help him? It is not clear if he did, but even if he did, the bystander would certainly be exposing himself to a dangerous situation in this instance. As an off duty Officer, I would most likely assist the officer in trouble and have done so in the past on a few occasions. But I do have training on what to do in this type of situation that should ID me to the cop quickly and hopefully allow me to turn the situation around to one where the officer regains control of the encounter.

As to asking a bystander for help, only time I would think about doing so is if the situation was safe enough that it wouldn't expose the bystanders to being injured themselves. And then, it most likely would be asking them to call 911 and/or assisting me in providing first aid to myself or another injured person if it is truly neccessary. I don't foresee me ever asking for civilian help in subduing a suspect, I wouldn't want to risk putting innocent(s) in harm's way.

Djarum300

Addicted Member
In my mind, if a police officer is trying to cuff or subdue an individual and is losing or doesn't have it under control, that is a dangerous situation.

Good Times Good Times

I still wouldn't even if asked in this situation likely as the risk for me is a bit too great to gamble with. I would gladly accept any charges levied at me with a smile on my face.

It is nothing personal.

Robadat

In my mind, if a police officer is trying to cuff or subdue an individual and is losing or doesn't have it under control, that is a dangerous situation.
What part of;
the bystander would certainly be exposing himself to a dangerous situation in this instance.
didn't you understand?

That most certainly was a dangerus situation that a bystander would be putting themself in. I don't know how that law is written down there, but you can't expect a person to voluntarily place himself in harm's way, or make it a criminal act to not do so.

Djarum300

Addicted Member
I understand what you said, I'm merely commenting on the article "unless it appears to be a dangerous situation". The problem is, that most certainly was a dangerous situation, even though the police asked why no one came to help. Keep in mind that to a bystander a controlled situation to a cop could seem like a dangerous situation to the bystander.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Consider too, in that situation, as an average, untrained civilian I would 1) be startled to even see such an event unfold 2) may want to help, but worried I may just get in the way and make the situation worse and 3) what do I do? Rain down a storm of "haymakers" on the perp? Try to wrestle him to free the officer? Shoot them both and run for the hills?

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
I THINK IT WOULD DEPEND ON THE HOOD IM IN. IN THAT INSTANCE, I WOULD HAVE NO REASON TO BE IN THAT HOOD. IF I HAPPEN TO SEE A 150lb FEMALE COP WRESTLING WITH A 300lb MAN, YES, I WOULD TRY AND HELP OUT. AND LIKE SOME SAID, WHAT IF HE DID GET THE GUN AND STARTED RANDOMLY SHOOTING PEOPLE CUZ HE DIDNT WANT TO BE IDENTIFIED LATER FOR BEATING UP A COP. BUT THE OLD FALL BACK IS, IF A COP SAYS STOP, YOU FUCKING STOP.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
AND 9, EWE COULDNT RUN. EWE WOULD KEEP TRIPPING OVER ALL THOSE SHEEP. IT IS OBVIOUS THEY CANT OUT RUN YOU.