Martin Shkreli Is Doing It Again

MI2AZ

He just bought the rights to a drug that's been used to treat a serious infectious disease since the 1970s and is planning to drastically jack up the price. Shkreli's new company, KaloBios, paid $2 million for the rights to benznidazole, which is used to treat Chagas disease.

In Latin America, a round of benznidazole treatment costs between $50 and $100. Once approved by the FDA, Shkreli is planning to charge patients between $60,000 and $100,000.

The plan also is upsetting some organizations that supply drugs for neglected diseases because Mr. Shkreli has said he wants to take advantage of a federal program intended to encourage companies to develop such drugs. The program awards vouchers that can be sold to other companies for hundreds of millions of dollars.

Mr. Shkreli has said he hopes to obtain such a voucher by getting the Chagas disease drug approved by the Food and Drug Administration for sale in the United States. Critics say that it would be another case of the system being abused by awarding a voucher not for developing a new drug but merely for obtaining F.D.A. approval of a drug already used in tropical countries.

Mr. Shkreli said on a conference call with KaloBios investors last week that if the company won F.D.A. approval for benznidazole, it would have exclusive rights to sell it in the United States for at least five years. He said the price would be similar to that of hepatitis C drugs, which cost $60,000 to nearly $100,000 for a course of treatment.

livespive

I don't get it if there are generics that you can use then that is fine. IF there are not, then isn't this like a monopoly, and that is illegal?

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
I don't get it if there are generics that you can use then that is fine. IF there are not, then isn't this like a monopoly, and that is illegal?
The drug companies are federally protected and allowed to recover their research money. And HERE is where it gets fucked up. Having asthma, I've been using generic Albuterol for years. My insurances have always covered it and I've a 1 or 2 dollar co-pay. A few years ago the FUCKING EPA stuck it's nose again where it didn't belong, and said the propellant was hurting the ozone. So, the propellant was changed.......only. The drug is still the same. Well, the FUCKING federal government then decided to grant the original manufacturer a NEW patent on the inhalers so that all generics must cease. Now, having a medicare Part D prescription plan, my inhalers are considered non-preferred brand name and my copay will be 90 FUCKING dollars for a 30 day supply. Don't know what I'll do when I run out. I guess I'll die from asthma.