Mental game

Tigerbait007

When playing in a league, on a team and your playing very well, yet your teammates can't put a mark, on the scoreboard, frustration starts to set in, for me anyway. How do you handle it?Somebody, please give me some advice! I hate losing and I take the game seriously.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
MAY BE TIME TO LOOK FOR ANOTHER TEAM. ITS COOL TO BOWL WITH FRIENDS AND PEOPLE YOU LIKE, BUT THEY MAY NOT HAVE THE SAME COMPETITIVE DRIVE YOU DO.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
When playing in a league, on a team and your playing very well, yet your teammates can't put a mark, on the scoreboard, frustration starts to set in, for me anyway. How do you handle it?Somebody, please give me some advice! I hate losing and I take the game seriously.
Dear Tigerbait007:

Unless you feel that your teammates are DELIBERATELY not performing their best (i.e., sandbagging), you should realize that they are trying to win and perform well, even though they may be falling short of a good, or even average, result.

There's no doubt that if you're a true competitor, you like to win, but keep in mind that if your teammates feel that you are angered or frustrated by their sub-par results, that might put more pressure on them, and they may perform even worse. Not only that, there's a possibility that your frustration may also affect your own performance in a negative way.

The mental game is just as important -- and even more so -- than the physical game, and if you're confident that your teammates are trying their best, you should attempt to block out your negative thoughts about them.

I was an EXCELLENT spare shooter, and in fact, I once completed an entire scratch league season without missing any single=pin spare, and in my first 11 national tournaments (covering 99 games), I only missed one single-pin spare. But I can assure you that I NEVER GOT DOWN ON A TEAMMATE OR CRITICIZED HIM (OR HER) WHEN THEY WERE BOWLING POORLY. You should make an effort to maintain a similar mindset. Good luck!