Military Is Looking For A Few Good Men

MI2AZ

Penis donors wanted.

X X X

In previous wars, troops who sustained blasts to their groins and genitalia often did not make it off the battlefield. But improvements in combat trauma care, evacuation and surgery have made it possible for post-9/11 troops with severe lower limb injuries to survive.

This in turn has forced urologists, plastic surgeons and researchers to push the limits of what's possible in the science of rebuilding and regenerating genital organs.

X X X

The next step in groin injury advancement could occur within two years: The same team at Johns Hopkins University that has honed face transplant procedures and successfully conducted hand transplants is developing protocols to transplant penises.

In 2005, physicians in China tried to transplant a penis but that operation was unsuccessful and the organ was removed after a couple of weeks.

Using advancements and procedures perfected with their other complex transplant procedures, doctors at Hopkins are confident they will be able to perform a successful transplant.

X X X

"I asked him the other night: 'If you could have use of your arms ... or full function of your penis what you rather have?' And he's like, 'I don't care about my arms!' ... I was shocked because all I wanted was a hug," Tracey Keil whose husband, Matt, became paralyzed from the upper chest and down after he was shot by a sniper, said. "But hey, he's a guy."